The Student Room Group

Let's talk about sex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AcademicDevotion
I dont think science has anything more to offer. What the people need is hope and spirituality rather than nihilism.

'The people' don't need to adhere to a code of morality which is wildly outdated and out of touch with modernity, which calls for cheaters and gay people to be publicly executed, which treats women more as currency than people.
Original post by Rock Fan
Oh steady she is a married lady :p:

I wasn't aware of this development. :rofl:
Original post by Mactotaur
If sex-ed is compulsory, it absolutely is their job to teach it. They can't skip it, any more than they would decide to take a month off teaching any other subject.

Whether sex-ed is compulsory or not is irrelevant. It is the parent's job to raise children, teach them about life and help them to be the best person they can be. That includes talking to them about sex. As I say, the teacher plays a role - but without the parent playing their role too (imitating conversations / creating a space at home where the topic can be freely discussed, answering questions, correcting false information and giving emotional support) then the teacher cannot teach sex ed effectively. Sex education is an ongoing process, it cannot be covered in just one lesson or even a whole school year. It isn't just a subject to be taught at school.
Original post by Snufkin
Whether sex-ed is compulsory or not is irrelevant. It is the parent's job to raise children, teach them about life and help them to be the best person they can be. That includes talking to them about sex. As I say, the teacher plays a role - but without the parent playing their role too (imitating conversations / creating a space at home where the topic can be freely discussed, answering questions, correcting false information and giving emotional support) then the teacher cannot teach sex ed effectively. Sex education is an ongoing process, it cannot be covered in just one lesson or even a whole school year. It isn't just a subject to be taught at school.

Ah, right, we misunderstood each other. No, it's not just the teacher who has a role to play, but theirs is a vital one which is carried out halfheartedly at best at the moment.
Neither. We should pair off in Year 9 and have at it.

Instead of sports day.
this gets to the nub of it really, all the problems the north faces are due to poor morality and moral ethics, nothing to do with lack of investment or lack of opportunity just outright poor moral behaviour.

Oh, right. You're a troll.
Ah, just by reading this thread you can see the effect that the nanny state has had in less than 30 years since Thatcher.

It's the teacher's job? It is damn well not, if someone needs to be told about these sorts of things then it is up to the parents.

Although personally I think anyone who doesn't have an IQ that would class them as having a mental retardation disability should be able to work these sorts of things out for themselves.
It's the teacher's job, but there is one problem:

Sex education in this country is frankly a joke. Half the 'experts' don't know their own facts, and it barely addresses heterosexual sex, let alone even mentioning that other sexual orientations exist and are perfectly natural. We need better education, because right now we have one of the highest teenage birth rates in the whole of Europe.

That's because our schools and the liberal media are encouraging young people to have sex and not encouraging them to abstain from it.
Original post by Unown Uzer
That's because our schools and the liberal media are encouraging young people to have sex and not encouraging them to abstain from it.

...no, it's because the sex-education is awful. Read up on American abstinence programs, and how they can cause a higher rate of teenage pregnancy. Similar to how DARE backfired badly.
Reply 29
I wouldn't want my teachers to do it, my parents did a great job starting perfectly normal discussions about sex and sharing their experience. Then I did my own research and educated myself. It's really easy to learn on your own today with all the information that surrounds you.
Reply 30
I'm surprised only another person and I voted for parents. Lol.
Given that I was told at school at masturbation was sin and killing future children, I think I would hope my parents would do a better job?

Although I learnt most of it through friends and the internet
Original post by EC
I'm surprised only another person and I voted for parents. Lol.

Not everyone has parents willing and able to talk to their children about sex.
Reply 33
Original post by Hydeman
Not everyone has parents willing and able to talk to their children about sex.

I wasn't insinuating that. The question is "Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:"
...no, it's because the sex-education is awful. Read up on American abstinence programs, and how they can cause a higher rate of teenage pregnancy. Similar to how DARE backfired badly.

That's because the American liberal media encourages people to have sex. Just watch Hollywood films about people of this age and there is tremendous pressure on them to have sex. The teachers and school administration are just as useless. You go to an American High School, and outside the classrooms, there is no control whatsoever. You have teenagers doing PDA and students smoking outside schools, but neither the teachers nor the school administration do anything about these things at all. In this way, they are basically encouraging this behaviour, and given that some of them even hand out condoms to their students, they are really encouraging them to have sex.

This is also reflected by how many students in both the UK and the US are slackers, with many of them putting in hardly any effort into their studies, and some even skip classes. This is unacceptable. We need to be encouraging them to seek a better future for themselves by studying hard at school to get the top grades, and parents should be making sure that their children are achieving the top scores by spending more time revising, instead of going out without the knowledge of their parents to some party where they get drunk and have sex, and someone probably gets pregnant. If we are to encourage students to work hard, firstly, the scores of all students should be made available to all students, and students are ranked based on the grades they get. Doing this encourages competition. Secondly, we should reduce all these unemployment benefits (which I know you leftists do not like), to act as an incentive for students to study hard and get a good job, instead of knowing that they would get good unemployment benefits anyway and therefore do not work hard.

If you do not believe that teaching abstinence without teaching about how to use condoms and whatever does not work, just look at places like South Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan. Teenage pregnancy rates are much lower there than in many European countries that have comprehensive sex-ed, such as the Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden.
(edited 7 years ago)
anyone think TInders a meat market?

Original post by Unown Uzer
That's because the American liberal media encourages people to have sex. Just watch Hollywood films about people of this age and there is tremendous pressure on them to have sex. The teachers and school administration are just as useless. You go to an American High School, and outside the classrooms, there is no control whatsoever. You have teenagers doing PDA and students smoking outside schools, but neither the teachers nor the school administration do anything about these things at all. In this way, they are basically encouraging this behaviour, and given that some of them even hand out condoms to their students, they are really encouraging them to have sex.

This is also reflected by how many students in both the UK and the US are slackers, with many of them putting in hardly any effort into their studies, and some even skip classes. This is unacceptable. We need to be encouraging them to seek a better future for themselves by studying hard at school to get the top grades, and parents should be making sure that their children are achieving the top scores by spending more time revising, instead of going out without the knowledge of their parents to some party where they get drunk and have sex, and someone probably gets pregnant. If we are to encourage students to work hard, firstly, the scores of all students should be made available to all students, and students are ranked based on the grades they get. Doing this encourages competition. Secondly, we should reduce all these unemployment benefits (which I know you leftists do not like), to act as an incentive for students to study hard and get a good job, instead of knowing that they would get good unemployment benefits anyway and therefore do not work hard.

If you do not believe that teaching abstinence without teaching about how to use condoms and whatever does not work, just look at places like South Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan. Teenage pregnancy rates are much lower there than in many European countries that have comprehensive sex-ed, such as the Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden.

Bruv thats ****ing superb.

Get rid of state welfare is does nobody any good.
Original post by EC
I wasn't insinuating that. The question is "Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:"

I know. Your reasoning was that your parents had done a great job of it - I was just saying that those who voted otherwise possibly didn't have the same good fortune.
Yet promiscuous people themselves have said they have felt bad the next day after an encounter.

Care to say where you've got this from sweetie? Because I'm a gigantic slut and I've never felt bad the day after
Ok. Sex. There.

Quick Reply

Latest