The Student Room Group

Imperial Strikes Back: 2nd Year Physics GYG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Finished the lab report. Right now I would have gladly gone without the lab interview to have another few days to work on it. I'm quite behind on lectures now.
Reply 101
No more deadlines remaining for this term. I've finished the last assessed problem sheet and the history essay for my Horizons module.
Original post by Sinnoh
No more deadlines remaining for this term. I've finished the last assessed problem sheet and the history essay for my Horizons module.

congrats! :woo: my last deadline for the term is at noon today i think but i already submitted it yesterday, feels nice to be somewhat done
Reply 103

Not the demolition I was dreading, but not the best start I could have hoped for.

Hey everyone, so this is the final proper update this year I guess? May as well do a nice retrospective of the whole term.

Grades-wise things are looking reasonable. Well, as far as I can tell, which isn't very far at all. I've had 7 assessed problem sheets in total this term, but only had the marks back for 3 of them. They were all pretty good though - the lowest was 7/10. I haven't had my lab report mark back yet (although it's not looking good). And despite having a horrible time of it, I got 11/20 on the computing project but I think that's just grade inflation in action there because I genuinely thought it was the worst thing I'd ever submitted.

As for slightly more generally, I think I've handled online learning fairly well? I haven't missed any seminars or tutorials, I've been up to date with lectures until this week, I haven't met my goal of doing all the problem sheets but I've done much better than last year in that regard. However I've not been enjoying my time nearly as much as I was back in the Before-Time, or even during 6th form. Hardly a surprise given that I've probably had 5% of the social interaction I normally would've had. But compared with the summer term which was also remote (we weren't so lucky to have exams cancelled!), I've been doing a lot better.

Alright I'm going to do a more detailed review of my modules.

Advanced Practical Physics
Bleah. Didn't really enjoy the computing part, but I can't deny that it was useful and I learnt things. Like "how to be patient when your basic simulation takes twenty minutes to run". Labs were a bit hit and miss. The remote part started off fun and interesting but then all of a sudden there was so much catch-up to do...

The electrical waves experiment was nice once I could get it to work, but the experience was marred by both the time I forgot to bring a laptop and when my laptop just refused to connect to the oscilloscope. If we were in the usual lab room this wouldn't have been a problem. The demonstrator interview about my lab report was a bit brutal, I thought I hadn't done that badly. But I don't actually know my marks...

Quantum Physics
On the whole a fairly satisfying module. Sometimes when there's a particularly cool derivation in a lecture I write out a NICE and I did that two lectures in a row with quantum mechanics when we derived the uncertainty principle. There's also something satisfying about using bra-ket notation, I like thinking about how bewildered A-level me would've been at what I've been writing.

Seminars for this module have been disappointing though, they just feel like group problem sheet sessions and there's no real reason why someone couldn't just do it on their own. Being in a group with others doesn't really add much here. Also this is the only module for which I've received my marks for both APSs - 10/10 and 7/10. Writing the quantum physics article is going to be difficult though, I think.

Differential Equations
...since there's been no electromagnetism yet. This one is difficult difficult difficult. Started off nice, practically seemed like A-level revision, got a bit trickier with power series solutions to equations and has since kind of gone off the rails. The pace quickened as things got less familiar. Most recent lecture I've watched has been introducin Green's functions for solving inhomogeneous PDEs, so far I don't understand it to a useful degree but maybe once I watch the rest...?

Thermal Physics & Structure of Matter
The most qualitative of all the modules. I'm the least sure about what I actually know with this module, I haven't done enough practice questions for it - I didn't even realise it had exercises in the lecture notes until 5 weeks in. The APSs are quite different and the questions more vague, but I got to calculate the entropy increase of the Sun in one so that was fun. Whether this will translate into getting a nice mark... who knows.

I-Explore: Revolutions and the making of the modern world
ahhh this one has been great. Interesting content, good discussions, small classes because I went for the 9 a.m. session but that'll change next term. I've finished and submitted the first essay ("Given the Tsarist regime, was revolution inevitable?") and I'm fairly happy with it. It's a fairly awkward question because how can you really tell if something's inevitable or not when it did actually inevitably happen? Maybe I should've tried to negotiate for a different and more straightforward question, but it was an interesting thing to discuss nonetheless. I got to look through my A-level course notes on Russia and got all nostalgic. And I kind of like just researching things and getting really deep into it. If I hadn't taken such STEM-ish A-levels I'd absolutely be doing a history degree right now.

Well, that's it for 2020!! What a waste of time this year was. But to quote a 1997 election campaign ad, thiiiiiiings can only get betteeeeeeeeer

Thanks for reading. See you in January.

Tags

Original post by Sinnoh

Well, that's it for 2020!! What a waste of time this year was. But to quote a 1997 election campaign ad, thiiiiiiings can only get betteeeeeeeeer

Reply 105
Original post by Blue_Cow

christ that can't be real
a waste of a year is one way to put it :lol:
hope you haven't got too much work to do in the holidays :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by absolutelysprout
a waste of a year is one way to put it :lol:
hope you haven't got too much work to do in the holidays :smile:

I think other than the quantum science article there's just general catching up on stuff, haven't got exams next term so that's nice
well done on making it to the end of term!!
i think a lot of the stuff you're doing in quantum physics i'm also doing in quantum mech but i'm too far behind to tell. i've definitely seen bra-ket stuff in the notes though!! god i hate that module looool
differential equations are horrid. the last time i liked them was first year and that was because it was still basically a level further maths. i don't get them whatsoever anymore :frown:

hope you can have a restful christmas break! :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by niamhdoesmaths
well done on making it to the end of term!!
i think a lot of the stuff you're doing in quantum physics i'm also doing in quantum mech but i'm too far behind to tell. i've definitely seen bra-ket stuff in the notes though!! god i hate that module looool
differential equations are horrid. the last time i liked them was first year and that was because it was still basically a level further maths. i don't get them whatsoever anymore :frown:

hope you can have a restful christmas break! :smile:

Thanccs :awesome:
tbh I don't actually know how I'm really doing with quantum phys since I haven't done problem sheets in a while, my lecturer's mantra for it is simply "shut up and calculate".
Reply 110
Well my laptop has suffered a strange calamity, yesterday in the space of 12 hours it went from relatively fine to "holy **** it won't boot into safe mode". I guess 2020 had its own Christmas "go-****-yourself" present for me. So I think I'll be extracting what I can from the old hard drive, fitting in a SSD and doing a fresh install of Windows. For the second time in about two years!!!

I'm not really sure how soon I would have actually made a start on the quantum article, but now that I can't, I wish I could. Hopefully everything should be fixed before January.
Original post by Sinnoh
gyg2.png

About me
Hi I'm Sinnoh. A lot of people have made GYGs in quite a short time so let's not be too late to the party. I'm about to go into my second of hopefully four years of doing physics at Imperial College. Outside of physics I'm pretty fond of classical music, history, guitar, and Pokémon. I was somewhat active in the history society and quiz society last year so I'll be rejoining them for sure.

I previously did blogs for year 13 (here) and first year (here). I don't know what to expect from this year so I can hardly say what you can expect from this blog. Last year's was more aimed at prospective physics students, this year maybe I'll actually need the motivation. So I won't go into as much detail about the stuff I'm learning - or I'll put in a different section about it in my updates if people really care.

The academic stuff
For once I am actually intending to grow my grades. Most of the main assessments last year were done after the coronavirus hit, so they were done at home. I didn't revise well at all, and had they not been open-book I'd have been really screwed.

Results from first year

Actually not as bad as I was expecting! Still, I wouldn't want that to be my final grade, and as you can see I was very close to resitting one of the modules. Normally first year would've counted for 7.5% of my final grade, but there is a no-detriment policy in place: if my result for first year is lower than my average for the next three years, it won't count.

So at the very least, I want to get a better overall grade. I need to score at least 60% overall this year to progress on to the MSci course. Second year is normally worth 20% of the whole degree so I have much less room for messing up, too.

2nd Year Modules

I have heard many times that the 2nd year of physics at Imperial is completely bonkers, what with more exams and more frequent lab write-ups and an all-round infamous reputation. With the new course structure it might not be so bad, but I really don't expect to have those great swathes of free time I had last year.

Other goals for the year/things I want to do:

Not make a mess of things in my role on a society

Try out for University Challenge again (3 attempts left)

Suck less at Python

Develop some sort of daily routine for studying at home

Make use of office hours (even if done via Microsoft Teams!)

Problem sheets!!

If you want to follow this blog, either put it on watched or request to be tagged. I'll spam all of last year's tagged peoples with yet another notification, but there's no need to feel obliged or anything.

last year's

pls tag meee xxxx
Reply 112
Original post by vix.xvi
pls tag meee xxxx

That reminds me, my tag list is on my stricken laptop :colonhash:
But yes I will do once it's possible
Original post by Sinnoh
That reminds me, my tag list is on my stricken laptop :colonhash:
But yes I will do once it's possible

ty:h:
Reply 114
Oh it's January. Cool.

Not much to update on in terms of uni work - haven't gotten any marks back for anything. I've made a start on the article, having written the first page, but that's only maybe 12% of the way through. My academic tutor was fine with the article topic, I got 7/9 on the plan (I lied about not getting marks), but now I'm having second thoughts because I feel like at the pace I'm going now I'll top out at 1500 words maybe.
Almost caught up with the final week's lectures, there's been some difficult-looking stuff in quantum mechanics about perturbation theory. Outside of that I've tried to revise thermodynamics the most because I've got the least experience doing questions for it and it's very heavy on content.

Imperial's in tier 4, university students are supposed to return to campus on a staggered basis. But, to quote gov.uk, "scientific or technology subjects that require time in laboratories or use of expensive equipment (for example, chemistry, physics, bio-sciences, engineering)" can start in-person teaching earlier... which basically covers every course at Imperial!
(except maths. sorry maths.)

There hasn't been any specific communications from the department about the matter though. I'm actually hoping in-person teaching doesn't start too soon, because this term my labs are at 9:10 in the morning and I can get up an hour later if they're remote.
Original post by Sinnoh
Oh it's January. Cool.

Not much to update on in terms of uni work - haven't gotten any marks back for anything. I've made a start on the article, having written the first page, but that's only maybe 12% of the way through. My academic tutor was fine with the article topic, I got 7/9 on the plan (I lied about not getting marks), but now I'm having second thoughts because I feel like at the pace I'm going now I'll top out at 1500 words maybe.
Almost caught up with the final week's lectures, there's been some difficult-looking stuff in quantum mechanics about perturbation theory. Outside of that I've tried to revise thermodynamics the most because I've got the least experience doing questions for it and it's very heavy on content.

Imperial's in tier 4, university students are supposed to return to campus on a staggered basis. But, to quote gov.uk, "scientific or technology subjects that require time in laboratories or use of expensive equipment (for example, chemistry, physics, bio-sciences, engineering)" can start in-person teaching earlier... which basically covers every course at Imperial!
(except maths. sorry maths.)

There hasn't been any specific communications from the department about the matter though. I'm actually hoping in-person teaching doesn't start too soon, because this term my labs are at 9:10 in the morning and I can get up an hour later if they're remote.

The UK Gov rules on students returning to universities just changed once again in light of the increased spread of Covid, a letter went out from the Minister of State for Universities, to higher education providers a couple of days ago. This states that only UG students taking practical elements of health care related courses can return to face to face teaching in early Jan. I would expect IC to start letting students know what this means for them on Monday 4th so you should get decent warning about how this changes the start of term for you on the 12th.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/letter-from-michelle-donelan-to-higher-education-providers
Reply 116
Okay, labs at home it is.

I've just realised, lasers are heavily involved in my quantum science article. My topical review last year was on lasers. My waves group project in 2019 was on lasers. I can only assume that physics actually began in 1960.
Original post by Sinnoh
Okay, labs at home it is.

I've just realised, lasers are heavily involved in my quantum science article. My topical review last year was on lasers. My waves group project in 2019 was on lasers. I can only assume that physics actually began in 1960.

how do labs at home work?:eek:
Original post by Toastiekid

There is a bit of info on line at :-

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/203613/physics-students-staff-develop-lab-box/

and also here .... production line shots for some of the Physics kit, that was a pretty big production run including moble interferometer setups https://twitter.com/imperialsci/status/1313110062462894082

Video of the Elec Eng version on Youtube here https://youtu.be/_ns8U2C4DsY

And Chemistry version on Twitter https://twitter.com/imperialsci/status/1323964857713070084

Also materials https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/205993/materials-staff-students-create-projects-home/

They go out on pallets in lots of 200+ ! Demonstrators work with students for live chats and Q & A on teams, lab books on line using One Notes so staff can scribble red ink on them remotely :smile:. Its not perfect but its keeping things going.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by Toastiekid

They send us a box of equipment and we do it ourselves while on a Microsoft Teams call. Since some people aren't in London this year they were already sending lab kits overseas to a few people so it's not too much of an adjustment for the department.

That can't be done for the radioactivity experiment (can't imagine why :rolleyes: ) so that one will just be done entirely as a simulation. That was going to be the case all along anyway though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending