The Student Room Group

BSc Psychology Text Books

Which books have your found most helpful when studying?
It really depends on your course - they will have recommended books (which they'll take a majority of the reading from) for each module you do
Reply 2
what year?

so far i've used (for both years):

- Physiology of Behaviour, by N.R. Carlson
- Biological Psychology by J.W Kalat
- Michael Eysenck’s Principles of Cognitive Psychology
- Eysenck and Keane’s Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook
- Mitchell, P. and Ziegler, F. (2007) Fundamentals of Development: The Psychology of Childhood
- Hogg, M.A. and Vaughan, G.M. (2005) Social Psychology, 4 th edition
- Discovering Statistics Using SPSS by Andy Field
- SPSS Without Maths

Those are the books I've used in the last 2 years, will probably use some of them for 3rd year as well.
You don't need to buy these books, I'm sure your uni libraries will have them all, but obviously if everyone on your course wants them, there'll be high demand. But then, most 2nd years and 3rd years will be selling their books cheaper so that's also helpful. One other thing you can do is try blackwells, they sell used books at a discounted price, the used books will obviously state their used, but normally they'll have a green sticker/band on them (used to work there).
Reply 3
Hi, I'm going into my 2nd year of a psychology degree - can anyone recommend a developmental psychology book that would offer a good overview?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Psychobot
Hi, I'm going into my 2nd year of a psychology degree - can anyone recommend a developmental psychology book that would offer a good overview?

Thanks!

these 2:

Mitchell, P. and Ziegler, F. (2007) Fundamentals of Development: The Psychology of Childhood
Reply 5
Thank you, the Hogg book is very good for 2nd year Social Psych. I've just borrowed the Mitchell book and will have a read. Many thanks
Reply 6
La Trampa
what year?

- Mitchell, P. and Ziegler, F. (2007) Fundamentals of Development: The Psychology of Childhood
- SPSS Without Maths

Those are the books I've used in the last 2 years, will probably use some of them for 3rd year as well.
You don't need to buy these books, I'm sure your uni libraries will have them all, but obviously if everyone on your course wants them, there'll be high demand. But then, most 2nd years and 3rd years will be selling their books cheaper so that's also helpful. One other thing you can do is try blackwells, they sell used books at a discounted price, the used books will obviously state their used, but normally they'll have a green sticker/band on them (used to work there).

An Essential!! Got the info, and its entertaning to read at times!
Reply 7
There's a Second edition of the Andy Field - Discovering statistics using SPSS. Don't bother buying the book by Hugh Coolican IMO. If, unlike most people studying psychology, you're *really* into statistics, as well as the Field one, another to buy is Using Multivariate Statistics fifth edition by Tabachnik and Fidell - but it does deal with statistics at a level not needed for undergraduate study.

Robson - Real world research second edition, is a useful book for the major project.
Reply 8
La Trampa
what year?

- SPSS Without Maths

Hey La Trampa. I'm going to be studying Psychology at Nottingham in a few weeks :smile: They gave me a reading list with a fair few books on it, a few of which I recognise from the list you compiled. Do you get a feel for what books you will definitely need once you're there or do you recommend I buy as many books from that list as my wallet can cope with? Or is there some sort of middle ground like there are a few books you would definitely recommend for the first year but then I might need to figure what other additional books I'll need?
Thanks for any help you can give! :smile:
Reply 9
CE49
Hey La Trampa. I'm going to be studying Psychology at Nottingham in a few weeks :smile: They gave me a reading list with a fair few books on it, a few of which I recognise from the list you compiled. Do you get a feel for what books you will definitely need once you're there or do you recommend I buy as many books from that list as my wallet can cope with? Or is there some sort of middle ground like there are a few books you would definitely recommend for the first year but then I might need to figure what other additional books I'll need?
Thanks for any help you can give! :smile:

All the books I mentioned are all the core textbooks I've been using primarily since first year (i.e at any point in time if you were to search my shelf, you'd find a copy of all those books), none of which I bought. I got them all from the library. Obviously there'll be other books that you'll need or were mentioned on your list but these tend to be books you'll either use for one term or for one topic, which to buy would be a waste of money. Again these are available in the library.

I do have to say though if you're getting them from the library, you have to get in there quickly and borrow them on ordinary loans (8 week loans) which you'll obviously need to keep renewing. I also have to mention that as these are the core textbooks (these are more or less the books you'll use and keep going back to so they are highly recommended) and are in high demand,there will be times when you'll only be allowed to have them for a week to allow for others, that includes exam time. So you need to plan when you'll borrow them etc.

It's up to you whether you buy them or not, personally I didn't think there was any reason to because a) they're expensive.you're looking at about £30 per book b) they're available in the library. c) I wasn't reading them every waking hour so they weren't worth the money. The one book I did buy - the stats one, is still in near perfect order. If you do buy them you can always sell them back to blackwells or to other students, but obviously as they're used,you won't get loads back from that.

Basically, it's up to you whether you buy them or not. I know a couple of people who did and felt it was money well spent, I know others who thought it was money wasted as they could easily get them from the library.So really it's up to you.
Reply 10
La Trampa
All the books I mentioned are all the core textbooks I've been using primarily since first year (i.e at any point in time if you were to search my shelf, you'd find a copy of all those books), none of which I bought. I got them all from the library. Obviously there'll be other books that you'll need or were mentioned on your list but these tend to be books you'll either use for one term or for one topic, which to buy would be a waste of money. Again these are available in the library.

I do have to say though if you're getting them from the library, you have to get in there quickly and borrow them on ordinary loans (8 week loans) which you'll obviously need to keep renewing. I also have to mention that as these are the core textbooks (these are more or less the books you'll use and keep going back to so they are highly recommended) and are in high demand,there will be times when you'll only be allowed to have them for a week to allow for others, that includes exam time. So you need to plan when you'll borrow them etc.

It's up to you whether you buy them or not, personally I didn't think there was any reason to because a) they're expensive.you're looking at about £30 per book b) they're available in the library. c) I wasn't reading them every waking hour so they weren't worth the money. The one book I did buy - the stats one, is still in near perfect order. If you do buy them you can always sell them back to blackwells or to other students, but obviously as they're used,you won't get loads back from that.

Basically, it's up to you whether you buy them or not. I know a couple of people who did and felt it was money well spent, I know others who thought it was money wasted as they could easily get them from the library.So really it's up to you.

That's really helped a lot! Thank you so much :smile: Best reply I've received on these forums to date :biggrin: I think I'm going to be just like you and rely on the library because I've had a look at a few books from the reading list and they are bloody expensive! I really appreciate hearing from somebody who knows what they're talking about :smile: Thanks again!
No worries :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by La Trampa
what year?

- SPSS Without Maths

Hey! :smile:

I'm starting the BSc in Psychology in Heriot-Watt in Septmeber, did you start using all of these books in first year? Which ones did you use most from the begining, what would be the best introduction?

Quick Reply

Latest