The Student Room Group

Who smokes/has smoked weed?

Poll

Do you smoke/have smoked cannabis?

So it turns out everyone my age has done or does smoke weed - which is quite strange because up until probably about a year ago, I never even considered it, nor acknowledged it's existence, and all of a sudden it's a part of everyone's lives. I mean I knew teenagers drank alcohol, but I always just thought people who used drugs were braindead drug dealers. We were always taught all drugs were terrible things that destroyed lives and to never go near them, and I never thought I would even consider it... weird.

So how about you?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can see why people enjoy it and I think it should be legal... I don't smoke it though.
Reply 2
I tried it two times. It doesn't do anything to me.
I like it, I prefer it to alcohol when just watching a movie or chilling with my house mates. Nice and mellow you know. I honestly don't see why it isn't legal. I've never seen a stoned person fall out of a night club and start fighting passers by.

I am currently averaging a 2:1 at uni and I smoke at least 2 times a week, sometimes daily. Got a friend who smokes at least once a week and he is getting 1st's at Durham uni. As long as you don't let it take over your life, it's fine.
I smoke quite regularly, don't touch tobacco though. Thats not even worth considering, its just not worth its disadvantages. People who think that people who smoke a bit of weed are braindead is simply dumb, it depends on the person not the substance :rolleyes: I'm doing just as good as anyone else at university so me being brain dead is just silly statement. Slowly people these days are coming round and realising its not what its made out to be... although there is some idiots who think they know it all but haven't bothered looking up the facts.This one chick at a mates house at the weekend said she was "disappointed with me" because I smoke it, and one had to leave the room cause she "didn't want to see drugs being done"... it enraged me but nonetheless I tried to be reasonable and let them know the facts and what it was all about (They knew next nothing about it and I know a fair amount but they thought i was wrong :rolleyes: ) but some people will and always will be too stubborn and ignorant to even listen.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AnAverageSmoker
I smoke quite regularly, don't touch tobacco though. Thats not even worth considering, its just not worth its disadvantages. Everyone has or atleast use to have this opinion on people that smoke it are braindead, its alot of crap.. Im doing just as good as anyone else at university so that assumption is just silly. Slowly people these days are coming round and realising its not what its made out to be... although there is some really dumbasses still. This one chick at a mates house at the weekend said she was "disappointed with me" because I smoke it, and one had to leave the room cause she "didn't want to see drugs being done"... it enraged me but nonetheless I tried to be reasonable and let them know the facts and what it was all about (They knew nothing about it and I knew alot but they thought i was wrong :rolleyes: ) but some people will and always will be too stubborn and ignorant to even listen.

I know what you mean. I was 14 when my friend told me she smokes pot and I was like :eek: you take DRUGS!? - but over the past year I've come to realise that it's really not that bad at all... When I first tried it I thought it was a lot like alcohol. I don't smoke it regularly, but if I'm at a party and someone offers me some, I wouldn't exactly say no. The way I see it, drugs are on a scale, and weed is near the bottom with alcohol and tobacco (which is actually worse IMO) - just because something is legal or illegal doesn't mean it's up there with crack and heroin. I would never touch those - I know the facts, but I think cannabis was always just assumed to be like that when we were younger...
Reply 6
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with smoking weed every now and again. Most of my friends smoke it everyday, or at every opportunity, and I used to aswell, but then I realised, personally, it started to affect my attitude towards people, whether it was my friends who didn't smoke it or my college tutors. Nowadays I only do it if i'm at a party, or if i've had a stressful day and one of my mates has it. I'll never waste £20-25 on it ever again.

But, for some people, i've seen it make an improvement in their life. It depends on who the person is, and the reasons they smoke it for/what sort of outcome they get from it. :biggrin:
Original post by lukas1051
So it turns out everyone my age has done or does smoke weed - which is quite strange because up until probably about a year ago, I never even considered it, nor acknowledged it's existence, and all of a sudden it's a part of everyone's lives. I mean I knew teenagers drank alcohol, but I always just thought people who used drugs were braindead drug dealers. We were always taught all drugs were terrible things that destroyed lives and to never go near them, and I never thought I would even consider it... weird.

So how about you?

Actually studies have shown more intelligent individuals are more likey to take drugs and drink more alcohol than those who are less intelligent. Personally, I've found this to be somewhat true, pretty much everyone who I'm good friends with at university has a very open mind and attitude towards drugs and are very willing to try a lot of things, after they've gone through a period of researching and decided if it's something worth doing that is. That's another thing I've noticed too and is something I've always done, the people I know will very rarely actually just take something, they're more inclined to actually research and find information about anything they want to do before they actually commit to doing it, instead of just brainlessly popping any pill someone gives you, which is what gets people killed.

To be honest, the whole, drugs ruin lives slogans and talks that are given to younger children, I'd argue, are almost a form of brain washing. Educated drug use and intelligent drug use isn't overly dangerous, if you know what you're taking before you take it, if you know what it's going to do, what it can do and what negative problems can arise before you take anything, you can make a very informed decision with regards to how dangerous it is to take versus how much fun it would be and thus significantly reduce a risk of anything bad happening. What ruins lives in uneducated drug use, those who, like I said before, just pop anything and everything without knowing what to avoid. For example, the likes of those who drink too much/too little water when taking ecstacy and wind up dead, that could simply be avoided by knowing that you should be sipping a pint of water throughout every hour. Yet, the talks that governments give, don't stress this, the point they stress is that people have died, not that it could have been easily prevented by doing x, y and z.

The bottom line is, if you look at the positive and negative effects of the vast majority of drugs, you'll actually find there is a reasonably low risk of anything life threatening happening to you. There are of course certain drugs that can be life threatening no matter how much you know, I think I've read of people just dying instantly due to heart failure after taking cocaine for the first time, you can't avoid that but drugs like that are a minority and by researching you can identify those which really are dangerous and steer clear. The government mantra of 'drugs kill' is merely a scare tactic and it's frankly ridiculous because it's down to this mantra being ingrained into people that we can't have any sort of decriminalisation or legalisation of drugs because people have just been told their entire lives that drugs are bad without knowing the facts and so we continue to fight an apparent war and drugs, which is actually just a landslide massacre and the government aren't the ones who are winning. Far more problems have arisen due to the war on drugs and none of the initial problems have been solved but thanks to our governments portrayal to the public of drugs, this will just continue.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've smoked it quite a few times and it's over-rated, alcohol gives a bigger buzz

Speaking of, alcohol is much worse than weed is for you, it's not that big a deal.
My cousin was admitted this weekend into a psych unit for heavy use of cannabis after suffering a psychotic episode. To all those who use, considering to use- please reconsider.
yeah when i have money
Original post by MetalheadA7X
I like it, I prefer it to alcohol when just watching a movie or chilling with my house mates. Nice and mellow you know. I honestly don't see why it isn't legal. I've never seen a stoned person fall out of a night club and start fighting passers by.

I am currently averaging a 2:1 at uni and I smoke at least 2 times a week, sometimes daily. Got a friend who smokes at least once a week and he is getting 1st's at Durham uni. As long as you don't let it take over your life, it's fine.

Posted this a while back, it has near enough exactly the same relevance. :h:
Original post by Subcutaneous
My cousin was admitted this weekend into a psych unit for heavy use of cannabis after suffering a psychotic episode. To all those who use, considering to use- please reconsider.

Why reconsider? Just because your cousin was admitted to a psych unit (sorry to hear about that though) doesn't mean that someone on here will be. Alcohol does much more damage than weed does and weed is not an additive substance.
Original post by Drunk Punx

Posted this a while back, it has near enough exactly the same relevance. :h:

That's not a brain, it's breakfast! - Love that line :biggrin:
Reply 14
My mother works in mental health and says that the number of patients she works with that have contracted mental illnesses such as schizophrenia from cannabis use is quite staggering. Sorta put me off it tbh... but I'm sure there are more people who develop mental illness from alcohol use. I have tried it once and it didn't really do anything for me tbh.
Original post by lukas1051
I know what you mean. I was 14 when my friend told me she smokes pot and I was like :eek: you take DRUGS!? - but over the past year I've come to realise that it's really not that bad at all... When I first tried it I thought it was a lot like alcohol. I don't smoke it regularly, but if I'm at a party and someone offers me some, I wouldn't exactly say no. The way I see it, drugs are on a scale, and weed is near the bottom with alcohol and tobacco (which is actually worse IMO) - just because something is legal or illegal doesn't mean it's up there with crack and heroin. I would never touch those - I know the facts, but I think cannabis was always just assumed to be like that when we were younger...

Stories like this make me restore faith in mankind, I do get sick of the judging all the time, I know I should not care what these people think but it does get hard when these people are looking down there nose at you when your trying to converse with them. Glad you found out! I agree on the alcohol and tobacco thing you said, never seen a guy high get violent but how many do you see it with alcohol, its just stupid.

Lahniiii
I'll never waste £20-25 on it ever again.

Only negative thing to say about your post was, that its not a waste if you enjoy it and you can go on a night out up town and spend £20 on alcohol in a night easy, while £20 sack of weed will last me a good 2 to 4 days, so its much cheaper.
Original post by You Failed
Massively intellectual comment about drugs that I've shortened to this to help save space.

You, sir, are a genius. :yy:

It has been disproved before that certain drugs (most commonly weed) is a gateway drug, and yes, I agree with the whole "brainwashing" thing too.
The only problem that arises with what you said concerning is the legality of taking drugs; it was seem kinda pointless for people to say "Here's how you take an illegal substance". If people really want to take something then I think they should take their own initiative and research it themselves rather than, as you said "popping any pill that someone gives to them".

I was, and still am, researching hallucinogenics. Have been doing so for ages. For the meanwhile I'm just happy smoking a nice joint or huffing bong, but I've always been interested in hallucinogenics for no apparent reason. The only problem I've come across is where to find a reputable source to acquire them. :holmes:
Just going up to any street dealer and asking for acid wouldn't go down so well seeing as they'd probably give me anything. :sad:
I used to smoke it every day, but then for some reason I had a terrible panic attack and hallucinations straight after smoking...I can't be sure that the weed was the reason behind it, but it has put me off-I still smoke it occasionally but I don't really enjoy weed any more :frown:
Reply 18
Yep, have done. I prefer drugs that keep me rooted in reality rather than trip me out, which is why I prefer alcohol. Unlike both cigarettes and alcohol, I've never felt the need to smoke it regularly nor had a bad experience.
Original post by milkytea
My mother works in mental health and says that the number of patients she works with that have contracted mental illnesses such as schizophrenia from cannabis use is quite staggering. Sorta put me off it tbh... but I'm sure there are more people who develop mental illness from alcohol use. I have tried it once and it didn't really do anything for me tbh.

You can't "contract" anything from smoking weed; it only increases the chance of making any underlying mental illnesses come out, it doesn't create them out of thin air.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending