The Student Room Group

Cambridge Interview: Snow Prevents my Plane!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelmxxx
I doubt they'd do them over skype because some applicants won't have computers in their houses...

I spoke to the admissions officer at Cambridge an hour ago and this is what she said they would do.

Are you suggesting she is incorrect?
Reply 21
the best thing to do is to phone them NOW and explain your concerns and what you should do if you can't make it. They may give you some suggestions or be able to re-schedule something for you. They will be sympathetic to you, this is a very rare situation that is beyond your control :smile: i'm sure they will be able to sort something out, but i cannot believe for one minute that they will hold them over skype... lol
Original post by Athelstan
hey! I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland and have an interview for Cambridge on the 6th, which is next Monday! (5 days from now) I am planning to fly from Edinburgh airport to Stanstead, then get a train from Stanstead to Cambridge. Ed Airport has been shhut 3 days this week already!

What do I do? Do I wait until I know Edinburgh airport will be shut (which should be the day before the interview?), and then phone the college saying I can't come down?

Do I phone the college and say that Edinburgh Airport might be shut so I may not be able to make it?

I can't drive down, not got a decent enough car for these conditions.

Anyone else facing a similar problem?

Mine's on the seventh, and I'm terrified the trains are going to be cancelled.
They might give you a phone skype (apparently) interview. I suggest you contact the college now and ask for advice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pheebs1201
I spoke to the admissions officer at Cambridge an hour ago and this is what she said they would do.

Are you suggesting she is incorrect?

Well I don't know if you did or not, and they might have said they would do that for you.

Are you suggesting they would automatically reject anyone who didn't have access to skype?!

Also there are many admissions tutors at Cambridge - usually one per subject per college!
Well I don't know if you did or not, and they might have said they would do that for you.

Are you suggesting they would automatically reject anyone who didn't have access to skype?!

Also there are many admissions tutors at Cambridge - usually one per subject per college!

Why on earth would I say I had spoken to them if I hadnt? They didnt say they would do it specifically for me, they said interviews started yesterday and this what they already have been doing and will continue to do for everyone else.

I imagine the ever so small minority without a computer would easily be able to access one at their local school college or library. There was in no way a suggestion people without computers would be rejected.

I think its extremely unreasonable of you to give people false hope and suggest their interviews can be rearranged when you actually have no idea? I presume you havent spoken to them and asked?
Why on earth would I say I had spoken to them if I hadnt? They didnt say they would do it specifically for me, they said interviews started yesterday and this what they already have been doing and will continue to do for everyone else.

I imagine the ever so small minority without a computer would easily be able to access one at their local school college or library. There was in no way a suggestion people without computers would be rejected.

I think its extremely unreasonable of you to give people false hope and suggest their interviews can be rearranged when you actually have no idea? I presume you havent spoken to them and asked?

I've never suggested interviews would be rearranged! I am simply saying that - as most schools are closed, and most small local libraries too! it is very unlikely that they can skype everyone. How many library computers have webcams and a quiet place for applicants to conduct a very important interview?!

Also, it is very likely that different colleges would have different procedures. I'm not saying you're lying! Just that it is likely that different departments and schools will have different contingency plans in places.

Hopefully everyone will be able to travel there anyway.
call them up, try and find alternative transport, maybe leave a day earlier as the train london to edinburgh is LONG (we went up for new year once and it was cold too :sad:)
I've never suggested interviews would be rearranged! I am simply saying that - as most schools are closed, and most small local libraries too! it is very unlikely that they can skype everyone. How many library computers have webcams and a quiet place for applicants to conduct a very important interview?!

Also, it is very likely that different colleges would have different procedures. I'm not saying you're lying! Just that it is likely that different departments and schools will have different contingency plans in places.

Hopefully everyone will be able to travel there anyway.

Whether or not it is feasible is another matter entirely, I just said that this is what they plan on doing. Personally I think its ridiculous to expect people to perform as well over webcam as they would in person, but seeing as no one else had actually spoken to Cambridge and I had, I thought I would share what I had been told.
Whether or not it is feasible is another matter entirely, I just said that this is what they plan on doing. Personally I think its ridiculous to expect people to perform as well over webcam as they would in person, but seeing as no one else had actually spoken to Cambridge and I had, I thought I would share what I had been told.

Ok. However I would still urge people to ring up their colleges, in case that changes, or in case their college decides to do something different.

If they do happen over skype, I'm sure tutors will understand that people won't perform as well - I'd imagine the tutors won't be loving it either!
Ok. However I would still urge people to ring up their colleges, in case that changes, or in case their college decides to do something different.

If they do happen over skype, I'm sure tutors will understand that people won't perform as well - I'd imagine the tutors won't be loving it either!

No I completely agree, it could vary immensely and I dont think TSR can provide a definite answer haha.
Original post by W.H.T
walk to cambridge - demonstrate your commitment

Best suggestion on this thread.
This is just what they told me earlier today, personally I am applying for PPS but I assume its the same for all subjects?

i imagine it will be different for all subjects/colleges

i know trains and stuff are slow, but last year after it dumped a couple of feet of snow up in northumberland around new years i managed to get down south just fine. you just have to be prepared for the journey to take a lot longer than usual.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
i imagine it will be different for all subjects/colleges

i know trains and stuff are slow, but last year after it dumped a couple of feet of snow up in northumberland around new years i managed to get down south just fine. you just have to be prepared for the journey to take a lot longer than usual.

At the moment the plane and trains I plan to take arent even running so it wont just take longer... if they arent running then I simply cant get there :frown:
At the moment the plane and trains I plan to take arent even running so it wont just take longer... if they arent running then I simply cant get there :frown:

hmm i'd personally say as soon as you can (as long as its before your interview) try head down here, then just stay with a friend/family for a few days. or potentially ask college for a room, tomorrow night a tonne of us are off skiing so most colleges will have quite a few free rooms floating about)

obviously you won't be penalised if you cant easily get down to cambridge. i just know i'd perform a lot better in a face to face interview then over the phone.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
hmm i'd personally say as soon as you can (as long as its before your interview) try head down here, then just stay with a friend/family for a few days. or potentially ask college for a room, tomorrow night a tonne of us are off skiing so most colleges will have quite a few free rooms floating about)

obviously you won't be penalised if you cant easily get down to cambridge. i just know i'd perform a lot better in a face to face interview then over the phone.

I am about 7 hours away an am hoping to travel sunday morning for my interview on Monday. Theyre already giving me accomodation- I just need to get there!

Thats exactly my worry, Id be far more comfortable face to face.
Reply 35
This is some worrying news. But I must say I'm confused. All I can see from pictures is some snow and temperatures are said to be around -5. Was there a storm or something to take down the system like that?

In any case I hope the situation improves in a week.
[QUOTE=innerhollow;28747964
As for what will happen, well we don't know. Maybe they'll try and reschedule, maybe they'll try and arrange for a webcam interview. It depends on the college and the subject. Do not assume that other people applying to Cambridge will de dealt with in the same way- contact your college YOURSELF.

Good luck to everyone.

EDIT: Just contacted my college (Robinson) and they have said they will decide on the day what needs to be done if there is any problem with transport. Their policy would be to reschedule the interview for later in the interview period, or if that was not possible place me into the winter pool and interview me then. But still everyone, remember to contact your individual college and see what they suggest for you.
I've got a similar problem. I wasn't able to fly to Cambridge yesterday as I didn't receive my visa in order to enter the UK in time. So I informed my college (Trinity) about that. They told me that there is no possibility of rescheduling the interview :frown: So I'll have to wait until January when they have made their decisions based on the application paper, i.e. my personal statement and reference. I think this is a bit ridiculous: there is a newspaper article which says that the admissions officer in Cambridge hardly look at your ps and the final decision is usually based on the interview. This is why I cannot imagine that they will take anyone just because he has got a well-written ps.
If being put into the winter pool, do you think that there is a chance of being interviewed by the same college again (well actually not again, because there hasn't been a interview before). Is it also possible that you are simply rejected? Well I think this is quite unfair, especially for those who are not able to help it.
Reply 37
I applied to Homerton to study maths, and also due to snow my plane was cancelled. It was changed to the 14th Dec, and I thought it was a great experience. Meeting all the current students really put me at ease and all the interviewers were encouraging. The test befor the 1st interview was really challenging, but I managed to tackle and have an idea about most of them. My 2nd interview I thought went a lot better and I think I answered the questions correctly, with little help. You need to go in with confidence and a passion for your subject. :smile:
You should immediately gave fairport email or call, tell you the actual situation, on the other hand, see if you can do fast train, anyhow, iron is the kind of rapid communication tools, good luck????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending