The Student Room Group

slight mistake personal statement

Hi everyone,

I was just asking myself a question: How important is the personal statement ?
In fact, I was just rereading one of my personal statement I already submitted and guess what, I found a slight english mistake. I forgot an apostrophe s, writing something like this: "a mathematician responsibilities" instead of " a mathematician's responsilities". Can this be the fatal error ? can my application be rejected just because of this ?
Reply 1
Original post by mikazama
can my application be rejected just because of this ?

doubtful
I doubt they'll even notice.
Reply 3
Well, I would notice.
Reply 4
I can't believe some people stress over things like this. . .
Reply 5
no theyll focus more on the content and on the passion of the subject and if you displayed that then theres nothing to worry about. Might have been different if it was for english though lol :biggrin:
Reply 6
Obviously in an ideal world it would be free of spelling and grammar errors but the admissions tutors are humans too and know humans make errors. Unless he/she is very pedantic, they won't particularly care. Particularly if you're applying for Mathematics.
omg did you seriously do that? My big bro did that 2 years ago and got rejected from all 5 unis even though he got straight A*'s in GCSE and AAAA at a level
Reply 8
You'll be fine. They don't spend that much time going over your personal statement. Though, if you had taken something like english literature I am sure something like that could be examined.
Reply 9
Thanks a lot guys
I was really going mad

Original post by jaheen22
I can't believe some people stress over things like this. . .

In fact, I heard the personal statement is very important for admission
And, I'm naturally easily stressed :frown:
Reply 10
Yes, Of course, the fact you missed out an appostrophie will unfortunately cause you to be rejected from every university in the country, because when they have a huge pile of applications to go through they really have the time to check every single little bit of punctuation.

Sorry for the sarcasm but seriously it's nothing to worry over, it's a tiny mistake that most people wouldn't even notice. Besides they care about what you're saying more than your punctuation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mikazama
Hi everyone,

I was just asking myself a question: How important is the personal statement ?
In fact, I was just rereading one of my personal statement I already submitted and guess what, I found a slight english mistake. I forgot an apostrophe s, writing something like this: "a mathematician responsibilities" instead of " a mathematician's responsilities". Can this be the fatal error ? can my application be rejected just because of this ?

everyone makes mistakes, especially when typing on computers, whether it's a 10 year old child or a 60 year old professor of English. if you've got good grades, if the content of your personal statement is good, and more specifically if you've achieved a C or above in English GCSE - surely that'll tell them it was nothing but an accident.

would uni reject a student it thinks it deserves a place in their uni for such an accident? i doubt very much. dont worry :wink:
Reply 12
well thanks a lot.
In fact I those kind of guys who panic for anything...
Hope I will get an offer

Quick Reply

Latest