The Student Room Group

Causation

--
(edited 11 years ago)
edit: i answered the wrong question
I should stop trying to flaunt my A level knowledge of causation everywhere.

Though I believe that wouldn't constitute a characteristic of the victim. I think you'd have to apply the daftness test.
(edited 13 years ago)
I *think* there was a case where they held that the victim's belief that blood supplies were contaminated or something didn't count because if you stop yourself from getting better, the defendant can't be blamed. I'm not 100% sure though.
Reply 3
Original post by herrplamen
I have got a question regarding the 'eggshell skull rule' (taking the victim as you find him or her). I know it includes physical characteristics and religious beliefs but would it include V's refusal to receive a blood transfusion due to his belief that all the blood supplies are contaminated? Is the chain of causation broken in this case?

Thank you.

R v Blaue, does not brake the chain of causation.
Original post by Swimmer
R v Blaue, does not brake the chain of causation.

That's the general rule. But i think the OP was asking about when the belief stopping the blood transfusion was a bit ludicrous - because if it's not a sensible belief, i think the rule may actually be the chain is broken by the victim's act.
Reply 5
Original post by herrplamen
I have got a question regarding the 'eggshell skull rule' (taking the victim as you find him or her). I know it includes physical characteristics and religious beliefs but would it include V's refusal to receive a blood transfusion due to his belief that all the blood supplies are contaminated? Is the chain of causation broken in this case?

Thank you.

I think so, as in R v Blaue it was due to being a Jehovah's witness so he refused a transfusion on religious grounds, but here he has no real reasoning for refusal of a transfusion. If he had a mental illness involving paranoia however that is another matter and may not break the chain of causation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending