The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Raise in fees - anyone being put off London unis?

Topical issue fellow KCL applicants...
With the rise in tuition fees just passed through by a narrow 21 votes is anyone else feeling a bit uneasy about studying in London?
We all know its already expensive to live there but now these ridiculous tuition fees?
Just wondered what everyones thoughts were...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When do you start uni?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
2011. So normal fees for the first year but the last 2 will be raised. As far as Im aware.
Reply 3
i thought that the fees only go up with inflation :s-smilie: if not, i'm screwed...
I didn't apply to KCL this year partly because of this.
Reply 5
Listening to the news tonight and as I can understand the bill has been passed narrowly to raise fees. Capped on £6000 and £9000 in 'exception circumstances' for 2012.
Original post by amsie/

Original post by amsie/
i thought that the fees only go up with inflation :s-smilie: if not, i'm screwed...

Where have you been living?
Reply 7
Original post by Johnny Christ
Where have you been living?

no i'm on a gap year in leicester but was hoping to go to uni in london for next year? :smile:
Original post by amsie/

Original post by amsie/
no i'm on a gap year in leicester but was hoping to go to uni in london for next year? :smile:

How have you not heard about the tax cuts then?
Reply 9
Original post by Johnny Christ
How have you not heard about the tax cuts then?

omg you really got me worried there, i checked it out:
In a written statement to MPs, Universities Minister David Willetts said the maximum fees for full-time students in 2011/12 would be uprated in line with inflation from the current limit of £3,290.
nah, i'll be alryt :wink:
so it's £3,375 for us next year, i hope... yeah :biggrin:
Original post by amsie/

Original post by amsie/
omg you really got me worried there, i checked it out:
In a written statement to MPs, Universities Minister David Willetts said the maximum fees for full-time students in 2011/12 would be uprated in line with inflation from the current limit of £3,290.
nah, i'll be alryt :wink:
so it's £3,375 for us next year, i hope... yeah :biggrin:

Next year, yeah :colondollar:
Reply 11
It doesnt bother me. I got loot.
Original post by Lotta!
2011. So normal fees for the first year but the last 2 will be raised. As far as Im aware.

No, I'm pretty sure you will pay the same fees (bar inflation) for the whole three years. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that these fee increases only affect those who START in 2012.
Original post by miranda-ae
No, I'm pretty sure you will pay the same fees (bar inflation) for the whole three years. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that these fee increases only affect those who START in 2012.

I hope so!

I believe that is correct also.....otherwise there will be a whole lot of muddled up thinking with regard to when you pay back your loan, what amount of maintanence grant you are entitled to etc etc.

Thus those starting in 2011 will be subject to fees of £3375, and their second year fees SHOULD only increase with inflation, not the raised minimum rates
Reply 15
If you are then I'm seriously disappointed in you.
Reply 16
Original post by Lotta!

Not how it works you will continue to pay lower fees at 3k

Yes that is right- anyone who has applied this cycle for admission in October 2011 will pay the current fees for the whole duration of their degree.
Out of interest, do you think the increased fees will put people off from having a gap year in 2011 and try to reverse their deferred entry to save money?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Oh, really? So students starting in 2011 have fixed prices?
Reply 19
Original post by Lotta!
Topical issue fellow KCL applicants...
With the rise in tuition fees just passed through by a narrow 21 votes is anyone else feeling a bit uneasy about studying in London?
We all know its already expensive to live there but now these ridiculous tuition fees?
Just wondered what everyones thoughts were...

I'm aiming for KCL, and come from a poorer background. I'm on JSA and was eligible for EMA so it is indisputable that it will be more difficult for me than some others, but at this stage it's not putting me off aiming for KCL. With the amount of hurdles I need to overcome just to apply without being laughed out of the building, if a miracle were to occur and I was accepted something as vulgar and superficial as money won't stop me from attempting to make something of myself.

Quick Reply

Latest