The Student Room Group

How economics explains promiscuity...

Hey,

I have written a blog with my own theory. Please check it out and give me your thoughts.

www.paulalexanderblakeman.tumblr.com

There are also other blogs which are all linked to economics.

Thanks,

Paul
Reply 1
I like it. One question, how would you incorporate the fact that some guys cannot pay the high price (because they are not good looking or not charming, or not funny or not any of those).
Reply 2
This is unfortunately just like real life, for example I cannot pay the high price of a Porsche! My other problem is that I am oversimplifying a problem with many variables, for some girls a high price would be good looks and only that, whereas for others it will be intelligence. My pricing system works on the type of relationship, and the model assumes that every girl wants the same thing, so it does have it's flaws. If you have any more questions just ask :smile: depending on feedback I will refine this model
Reply 3
Original post by paul_blakeman
This is unfortunately just like real life, for example I cannot pay the high price of a Porsche! My other problem is that I am oversimplifying a problem with many variables, for some girls a high price would be good looks and only that, whereas for others it will be intelligence. My pricing system works on the type of relationship, and the model assumes that every girl wants the same thing, so it does have it's flaws. If you have any more questions just ask :smile: depending on feedback I will refine this model

So you have a budget constraint.

And what is the cost of production? Do prettier girls have a lower cost?

And what type of market are we in? Can't be perfect competition, too much heterogeneity.
Original post by danny111
I like it. One question, how would you incorporate the fact that some guys cannot pay the high price (because they are not good looking or not charming, or not funny or not any of those).

Well this is an example of market failure. Government intervention is necessary. How about imposing a tax on other men that say 23% of the nights in a year, they have to provide their girlfriend/wife for other men who can't get girls. That would be a redistributive policy which would help the less fortunate.

Quick Reply

Latest