The Student Room Group

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by #Funky
As for those who talk about opression. Understand is what you need to do.

I'll give you an example. Under Shari'a law, a man cannot touch his wife's money. Regardless of what she earns he still needs to provide a roof over her head, feed her and clothe her and even giver her money. Talk of opression, racism is what you guys are.

I've been reading your posts and I haven't replied so far... I think you've done enough trolling... You have obviously come here with a one-track-mind and specific agenda to make some kind of political statement or point. I think everyone's had enough now.

Accusing other members of expressing 'racism' or supporting oppression is just one step too far. Is it any wonder why the vast majority of the public are sick and tired of being branded 'racist', 'intolerant' or 'ignorant' because they choose to express an opinion which differs from that of minority communities or religions?

I, for one, couldn't care less about Sharia law - I've seen it twisted and used in order to justify the most barbaric and hypocritical acts - execution by stoning, limb amputations, etc. Oh, and Muslim men being allowed to marry a handful of "temporary" wives at once, so in Allah's eyes they aren't committing adultary and/or fornication. Isn't it strange how Muslim women aren't permitted this little gem of a getout clause?

Want me to carry on...?

We're all sick of it - GET THE POINT?!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by #Funky
As for those who talk about opression. Understand is what you need to do.

I'll give you an example. Under Shari'a law, a man cannot touch his wife's money. Regardless of what she earns he still needs to provide a roof over her head, feed her and clothe her and even giver her money. Talk of opression, racism is what you guys are.

Let me make one thing clear! I'm not here to spread hate or anything like that I just want to show you some facts!

What happends if an English woman walks around in a bikini in Dubai? That's right she would get arrested and punished, in what ever way. Now surely we could say that it is understandable as it goes against the values and views of the people and law in Dubai. Although if we got anything against that and say something about it.. what happens? OH I get arrested too for opening my mouth!

The other way around. What happends if a woman from Dubai walks around fully covered in the UK, she won't get arrested but she certainly will get comments or something.. Why? Because this goes completely against the values and views of the vast majority in Britain. In the UK it is NOT normal and not socially accepted to cover your whole face. It can be very intimidating. What happens if we say anything about it? RACIST!!!!

I have generally absolutely nothing against muslims or any other religion at all! I know muslims who are great people but what I often face with muslims is that it is one rule for them and another for us... and that I don't like!

If I move to Dubai I have to respect their law, norms and values and I have to adjust myself to what is acceptable and what not and so should ANY muslim who moves to the UK. A lot of them don't, they don't get their way - we are being racist. it's rediculous and this is what creates anger and hate towards muslims..

Furthermore, I think Hex1986 makes some good points - pointed out some very serious issues!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by Hex1986
I've been reading your posts and I haven't replied so far... I think you've done enough trolling... You have obviously come here with a one-track-mind and specific agenda to make some kind of political statement or point. I think everyone's had enough now.

Accusing other members of expressing 'racism' or supporting oppression is just one step too far. Is it any wonder why the vast majority of the public are sick and tired of being branded 'racist', 'intolerant' or 'ignorant' because they choose to express an opinion which differs from that of minority communities or religions?

I, for one, couldn't care less about Sharia law - I've seen it twisted and used in order to justify the most barbaric and hypocritical acts - execution by stoning, limb amputations, etc. Oh, and Muslim men being allowed to marry a handful of "temporary" wives at once, so in Allah's eyes they aren't committing adultary and/or fornication. Isn't it strange how Muslim women aren't permitted this little gem of a getout clause?

Want me to carry on...?

We're all sick of it - GET THE POINT?!

You shouldn't have replied at all. I'm here with one mind and that mind is me being a Muslim, a student and clearing any mis-judgements of Islam.

Oh, Polagmy is only in Islam? Muslim women aren't permitted this little gem of getout clause?

Don't make me laugh. Can you please show me where they aren't.

Original post by Pop_tart
Let me make one thing clear! I'm not here to spread hate or anything like that I just want to show you some facts!

What happends if an English woman walks around in a bikini in Dubai? That's right she would get arrested and punished, in what ever way. Now surely we could say that it is understandable as it goes against the values and views of the people and law in Dubai. Although if we got anything against that and say something about it.. what happens? OH I get arrested too for opening my mouth!

The other way around. What happends if a woman from Dubai walks around fully covered in the UK, she won't get arrested but she certainly will get comments or something.. Why? Because this goes completely against the values and views of the vast majority in Britain. In the UK it is NOT normal and not socially accepted to cover your whole face. It can be very intimidating. What happens if we say anything about it? RACIST!!!!

I have generally absolutely nothing against muslims or any other religion at all! I know muslims who are great people but what I often face with muslims is that it is one rule for them and another for us... and that I don't like!

If I move to Dubai I have to respect their law, norms and values and I have to adjust myself to what is acceptable and what not and so should ANY muslim who moves to the UK. A lot of them don't, they don't get their way - we are being racist. it's rediculous and this is what creates anger and hate towards muslims..

Furthermore, I think Hex1986 makes some good points - pointed out some very serious issues!

I don't seem to understand. A prostitute is allowed to walk around naked, whereas a Muslim women who wants to repspect her self, and keep her dignity is known as being opressed and being 'intimidating'. I don't understand what your problem is, you're not going to marry a Muslim woman for sure and you have no interaction with them!
Original post by #Funky
I don't seem to understand. A prostitute is allowed to walk around naked, whereas a Muslim women who wants to repspect her self, and keep her dignity is known as being opressed and being 'intimidating'.

Sorry but this is rediculous. First of all, a prostitute is NOT allowed to walk around naked on the streets. Second, how often you do see people naked, (meaning no clothes what so ever) walking in the streets? Third, wether they are prostitutes or not is totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with this!

Perhaps the reason why you don't understand why this is happening is because you don't fully understand the English or perhaps even ''western culture'' yet? How weird it may sound to you, I think in general people would have more problems with someone who is fully covered than someone who has very little cloths on. You are talking about self respect and dignity, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with this whole issue.. It's all about not being able to see the other person (Im talking about clothes that fully cover the face), which then again leads to feelings that people do not want to integrate which causes problems in some cases.

Lastly, I never said anything in this thread about women being opressed..
I have seen documentaries on this and it is fact that SOME women do get forced into covering their whole face eventhough they do not want to, there is absolutely no discussion about that. Of course there are MANY women who voluntarily cover their face because they feel that fits best with their believes and values.

Original post by #Funky
I don't understand what your problem is, you're not going to marry a Muslim woman for sure and you have no interaction with them!

I do not need to marry a muslim woman or have no interaction with them for me to form an opinion on it - I am still faced with it on a daily basis and therefore have the right to say something about it!

Perhaps you need to read my post again as I did clearly state what 'the problem' is. I never said it was ''my problem'' just shared my opinion and told you the facts..

For your convenience I pointed out 'the problems' for you.

Hijab is fine, women aren't forced to wear one by their husbands or whatever and it doesn't separate you from anybody. Niqab's on the other hand is a bit :/...it's over the top and I dont see why a Hijab, covering your hair doesnt suffice over a Niqab covering your whole face but your eyes. Then again Niqabs are a cultural thing, predominately prevalent in the Middle East.
Reply 165
Think its stupid personally. I don't think teachers and stuff should be allowed to wear it. Apart from that if they wanna wear it let them
Reply 166
I like them
Original post by Eloise987
To guys who think it's acceptable, perhaps you should try wearing a niqab for a day, then come back and say it's empowering.

Just to clarify a point, males and females are both governed by the islamic law. Where the women cover up with clothing, the men grow the beard and also follow a dress requirment. believe you me, keeping a beard in this age is as difficult as a women covering up in these parts of the world. And to clarify another thing, women or men are not oppressed its part of the 'dress code' i.e. like if you go to a party or member of a football team, its the identity of a Muslim.
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
Just to clarify a point, males and females are both governed by the islamic law. Where the women cover up with clothing, the men grow the beard and also follow a dress requirment. believe you me, keeping a beard in this age is as difficult as a women covering up in these parts of the world. And to clarify another thing, women or men are not oppressed its part of the 'dress code' i.e. like if you go to a party or member of a football team, its the identity of a Muslim.

I understand that there is cultural dress, something I don't have a problem with (more to the point would be foolish and ignorant to have a problem with) however covering up one's entire face takes it a step too far for many people. Being so cut off from the world, particularly unnecessarily, can't be pleasant. Sometimes an exchange of glances and a smile from a stranger can cheer me up no end and I'd hate to be deprived of that aspect of social interaction. Give me a beard any day of the week.
Original post by Pop_tart

Perhaps the reason why you don't understand why this is happening is because you don't fully understand the English or perhaps even ''western culture'' yet?

First of all, when you say 'understanding the english' or 'western' what exactly do you mean? do you mean the binge drinking culture, the lazy sit home n watch TV all day living on benefits culture, or do you mean the upper class, hard-working, family orientated cultures etc. etc. etc.??? The western culture is not an absolute, it consists of a variety of diverse cultures living together in one place. It seems to me you haven't understood the western culture yet.

Secondly, in what way, shape or form does the Hijab affect you personally? Please explain.

Just to clarify another point, give me the stats on how many females get attacked/ raped or simply harrassed in this country as compared to 'Dubai', since you mentioned it. It speaks for itself, and that should hopefully be an eye opener for you and enable you to begin a logical understanding based on reason on the Shariah law.

A final point on this is both females AND males are goverend by the Shariah law. Men must grow the beard and too must comply to a particular dress code. In both cases Islam has laid down a dress code, which all Muslims follow with honour and respect. In the same way if you went to a themed party, member of a football team or even in the workplace. Dress codes are not something new. The rules are to be followed in any case.
I understand that there is cultural dress, something I don't have a problem with (more to the point would be foolish and ignorant to have a problem with) however covering up one's entire face takes it a step too far for many people. Being so cut off from the world, particularly unnecessarily, can't be pleasant. Sometimes an exchange of glances and a smile from a stranger can cheer me up no end and I'd hate to be deprived of that aspect of social interaction. Give me a beard any day of the week.

The question is not what is the female covering, but in fact why. Most non-muslims find it difficult to grasp the idea or reasoning on the female covering, which I can totally understand from a non-muslim's perspective in this day n age. in the same way, i find it difficult to see the why females like to 'un-dress' on a night out, especially in the winter! i've always wondered how they handle the cold weather, their legs get bright purple and they don't seem to bat an eyelid.

Anyway, more to the point. Islamically the covering of the face is debatable. The primary purpose of the covering is to basically protect the female, based on fact this is true. I mentioned already to another user, compare the official stats of non-muslim country vs muslim country on female attacks/ rape/ harrasment etc. and you will see for yourself.

Either way, in what way, shape or form does the female covering directly affect you?
Reply 171
Original post by Spexzzz

What really troubled me is i saw a muslim couple at the GP with their new baby, the wife was covered up head to toe, just showing her eyes. My question is how do you know thats your wife o_o.

I await your neg rep

HAHAHA, i love this question. my mum's friend moved to Saudi Arabia and she has to wear the full thing and i asked her the same question. she said that when shes at a supermarket, she does this special kind of walk so her husband knows its her, hahaha

i personally only wear the headscarf :smile:
Original post by Spexzzz

What really troubled me is i saw a muslim couple at the GP with their new baby, the wife was covered up head to toe, just showing her eyes. My question is how do you know thats your wife o_o.

LOL that's actually funny. i like these type of jokes
Reply 173
Original post by fell
HAHAHA, i love this question. my mum's friend moved to Saudi Arabia and she has to wear the full thing and i asked her the same question. she said that when shes at a supermarket, she does this special kind of walk so her husband knows its her, hahaha

i personally only wear the headscarf :smile:

wouldn't want to loose her in a market lol
The question is not what is the female covering, but in fact why. Most non-muslims find it difficult to grasp the idea or reasoning on the female covering, which I can totally understand from a non-muslim's perspective in this day n age. in the same way, i find it difficult to see the why females like to 'un-dress' on a night out, especially in the winter! i've always wondered how they handle the cold weather, their legs get bright purple and they don't seem to bat an eyelid.

Anyway, more to the point. Islamically the covering of the face is debatable. The primary purpose of the covering is to basically protect the female, based on fact this is true. I mentioned already to another user, compare the official stats of non-muslim country vs muslim country on female attacks/ rape/ harrasment etc. and you will see for yourself.

Either way, in what way, shape or form does the female covering directly affect you?

Well I suppose it doesn't directly affect me, but a lot of thing I have an opinion on don't, and I expect the same goes for you and everybody else.
I've said several times now I have no trouble with the hijab and I'm not stupid, I understand many of the reasons, I just think covering the whole face is too much. Maybe you can't see it that way because of how you've been been brought up and the fact that you're a male so it would never be you wearing it, but it always reminds me of reading The Handmaid's Tale, where the women are forced to wear similar dress and it's really not an impossiblity that women's position in society could change and we could be in that situation for real.
Well I suppose it doesn't directly affect me, but a lot of thing I have an opinion on don't, and I expect the same goes for you and everybody else.
I've said several times now I have no trouble with the hijab and I'm not stupid, I understand many of the reasons, I just think covering the whole face is too much. Maybe you can't see it that way because of how you've been been brought up and the fact that you're a male so it would never be you wearing it, but it always reminds me of reading The Handmaid's Tale, where the women are forced to wear similar dress and it's really not an impossiblity that women's position in society could change and we could be in that situation for real.

Opinions. What are opinions? Not everyone is opinionated and not eveyone will agree with your opinions. Opinions are merely ones own beliefs and often not supported by logical reasoning or facts. I respect your opinions but without a factual basis our discussion is pointless. As I pointed out already, the stats speak for itself - the foolish will turn a blind eye to the truth, the female covering plays an important role in society, its just that people want to believe all the negative criticisms it receieves when in fact it is the solution to many problems society is facing today.

Plus, the covering of the face and hands is debatable which I already mentioned. You must understand the purpose of the female covering (in general) before you go ahead with your opinions - i cant stress this enough. And anyway, since the female covering doesn't directly affect you in any way, shape or form which you confirmed then I suggest we end this discussion right here.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's fine. I've started wearing a hijab and frankly, I've never felt more liberated in my whole life.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a niqab, provided a woman chooses to by her own free will.
Opinions. What are opinions? Not everyone is opinionated and not eveyone will agree with your opinions. Opinions are merely ones own beliefs and often not supported by logical reasoning or facts. I respect your opinions but without a factual basis our discussion is pointless. As I pointed out already, the stats speak for itself - the foolish will turn a blind eye to the truth, the female covering plays an important role in society, its just that people want to believe all the negative criticisms it receieves when in fact it is the solution to many problems society is facing today.

Plus, the covering of the face and hands is debatable which I already mentioned. You must understand the purpose of the female covering (in general) before you go ahead with your opinions - i cant stress this enough. And anyway, since the female covering doesn't directly affect you in any way, shape or form which you confirmed then I suggest we end this discussion right here.

You basically just wrote exactly the same thing as your last post without really acknowledging anything I've said. If you don't care for opinions then what are you doing on an opinion based site, may I ask?

And I have said to you already that it is the covering of the face specifically that I have an issue with, I am fully aware that many choose just to cover their hair and dress modestly - something that is absolutely fine. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make that to you yet you still keep banging on about it as if I think all women wear the niqab.

And does it affect you directly? No, since you don't wear one either. You're just far too sensitive and uncomfortable with people confronting your beliefs.
You basically just wrote exactly the same thing as your last post without really acknowledging anything I've said. If you don't care for opinions then what are you doing on an opinion based site, may I ask?

And I have said to you already that it is the covering of the face specifically that I have an issue with, I am fully aware that many choose just to cover their hair and dress modestly - something that is absolutely fine. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make that to you yet you still keep banging on about it as if I think all women wear the niqab.

And does it affect you directly? No, since you don't wear one either. You're just far too sensitive and uncomfortable with people confronting your beliefs.

Your response speaks volumes. Say no more.
Your response speaks volumes. Say no more.

It does? I'd love for you to elaborate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending