The Student Room Group

Does anyone keep a diary? I'm considering it...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
For the first time in my life I genuinely want to keep a diary, or, a sort of incoherent account of my thoughts, rather than a structured diary.
Does anyone else do this?

At the moment, my head is quite a 'mess', and I thought keeping a diary might help me get on track and clear my mind and help me organise my thoughts a bit.
So does anyone keep one? Or even better, has anyone kept one because of the same reasons I want to?

Used to. Then someone who wasnt supposed to read it, read it. Now I keep more a journal of lyrics - write down any song lyrics that i hear that particularly stick in my mind because theyre what im thinking. Usually when I read back through it, I remember which period of my life each one was referring to.
Reply 41
Original post by halfoflessthan50p
What's that?

I recorded my mood everyday for 100 days and did a graph to try and see if there were any patterns (I had this theory about 'man periods' I wanted to test...)

Is that similar to what you were doing at all?

Erm I give each day a rating out of ten (or the morning and the evening a rating out of ten if my mood changes) and record how many hours of sleep, if the sleep was broken up etc.
Also any significant events that happen during the day that could explain the changes in mood, and any little things that I notice.
If somebody gives me a compliment I write it down too, since my memory is terrible :tongue:
So yeah, sounds similar to mine. It's really quite interesting.
For the first time in my life I genuinely want to keep a diary, or, a sort of incoherent account of my thoughts, rather than a structured diary.

At the moment, my head is quite a 'mess', and I thought keeping a diary might help me get on track and clear my mind and help me organise my thoughts a bit.
So does anyone keep one? Or even better, has anyone kept one because of the same reasons I want to?

I do, have done for about 18 months as an everyday thing and did on and off before that, and I do it for the same reasons as you seem to want to - structuring my thoughts is just easier for me if they're written down that just mulling around in my head :smile: PM me if you want to chat about it!
I do, to keep track of my moods and to get stuff out of my system that I think isn't worth bothering other people with!

I really wnat to keep a diary as well....for the reasons u mentioned and so i can look back on it...n see hw far ive come n stuff like that...but i dnt keep one incase some1 reads it
I've kept one for about 3 years. Started as a recommended way of dealing with depression, and it certainly helped the rationalisation process a lot. The black dog rarely comes calling these days but it's kind of just become habit to maintain it now.

Can be an amusing read going back to old entries, particularly drunken ones.
Reply 46
Original post by Jasminge
there are these special journals (no, not specifically for 'special' people!) that sort of help you keep an account of everything. they kind of tell you the sort of things to include and really encourage you to express yourself in creative ways. i think they're really good, especially for people like me who find it hard to just get a pen and some paper and start writing and writing. i've never actually used one :P but was contemplating it one day when i came across a picture on flickr with one of these journals and googled it. i can't remember the name of it or any others :frown: but i'll get back to you if i do!

If you do find out, please let me know, i'm curious now :biggrin:
It's a nice idea, of course, though what's the point?

To prove to ones-self that thoughts change and/or become forgotten over time?
I used to have a diary when i was a kid, but my dad saw it and was freaked out of some of the things i did. :sad: So i got rid of it.
I am actually going to buy a diary but i want the one that has a locker/key so no one in my family can see it again ever.
I like putting designs on my diary too, like a scrap book.
Original post by halfoflessthan50p
(I had this theory about 'man periods' I wanted to test...)

Well if no-one else is going to ask, I might as well. Did you find you have man periods?
Reply 50
I keep a video diary.

All the videos are on my laptop in a password protected folder..and the folder has a really mundane title, to prevent anyone getting curious and clicking on it and then wondering why it's locked. I used to keep a written diary many years back when I was struggling with an eating disorder, but unfortunately it was found and things got screwed up because of it..so I don't really trust written diaries any more.

I prefer recording myself..i thought it would be embarrassing to watch back, and that i would find it a bit cringeworthy but apparently not..
Reply 51
Original post by Hooovan*
I keep a video diary.

All the videos are on my laptop in a password protected folder..and the folder has a really mundane title, to prevent anyone getting curious and clicking on it and then wondering why it's locked. I used to keep a written diary many years back when I was struggling with an eating disorder, but unfortunately it was found and things got screwed up because of it..so I don't really trust written diaries any more.

I prefer recording myself..i thought it would be embarrassing to watch back, and that i would find it a bit cringeworthy but apparently not..

How do you password-protect a folder? Been trying to do that for ages!
Reply 52
I kept several diary during various phases of my life. I sort of fell out of the habit jst coz i didn't have time to write in it. I started one at the beginning of this year when i started uni but the same thing happened, couldn't find the time to update it.

But i've found that keeping a diary is a good way to organize ur thoughts as well as, a good outlet for ur emotions instead of bottling it all up and taking it out on others.

I also found it funny when reading back on all the entries, a good laugh. But most of all,

A gr8 way to keep memories, whether good or bad. They're all memories.

So, i say GO FOR IT...

I think, i'll start one again.

Have fun.... :smile::smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I bought one today for the new year.
SUPER excited to start writing in it.
Reply 54
Original post by Arekkusu

Do you have a Mac? I don't know how to do it on Windows..YouTube password protect folder tutorial or something to that extent..there should be a few results!
Original post by Evil Monkey
Well if no-one else is going to ask, I might as well. Did you find you have man periods?

Not really. Apparently men have a 30-45 day hormonal cycle. I couldn't see it though.

I concluded there's just a baseline level of good/bad mood which occasionally gets knocked up and down by stuff happening during the week but always returns back to normal within a few days.

Bit of a shame really. I have no idea what to do with all the tampons I bought myself now.
No but I have thought about it.
Original post by TheBlindestPilot
I've kept one for about 3 years. Started as a recommended way of dealing with depression, and it certainly helped the rationalisation process a lot. The black dog rarely comes calling these days but it's kind of just become habit to maintain it now.

Can be an amusing read going back to old entries, particularly drunken ones.

I've kept one on and off for nearly 6 years and I have to say, it is actually quite funny going back and reading entries. I was an unintentionally hilarious teenager.
Original post by Arekkusu

Depending on what version of word you have it should be under "Encrypt document" which I think on mine is under "Properties"
Reply 59
I kept a diary but now i'm at uni i don't really have the time. It's well worth it, you get to look back at your thoughts and a lot of the time you will think WHAT THE **** was i thinking!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending