The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loolyfirst
The point you make is quite right. Internationals deserve to pay higher because they don't contribute through taxes. What I really wonder is how can EU students pay fees as low as UK students. It seems they have a free meal here.

Well. Maybe it's mutual understanding that if you go to any other EU country to study you will pay subsidized fees as well. But since, UK is the best in higher education in Europe and I don't think you people would like to go anywhere else for your education this thing won't benefit you Brits much!! :P
Original post by shubham_ag
Well. Maybe it's mutual understanding that if you go to any other EU country to study you will pay subsidized fees as well. But since, UK is the best in higher education in Europe and I don't think you people would like to go anywhere else for your education this thing won't benefit you Brits much!! :P

I am an international studens as well lol. Brits won't reply you this early. And in fact you actually make my underlying point clear. In UK, there are much more inflow of EU students to UK than the outflow of UK students to EU. Based on this, EU students take advantages of UK students in higher education.
I am an international studens as well lol. Brits won't reply you this early. And in fact you actually make my underlying point clear. In UK, there are much more inflow of EU students to UK than the outflow of UK students to EU. Based on this, EU students take advantages of UK students in higher education.

Well. But I don't really think this is fundamentally wrong or anything. It is good in a modern world economy to break country barriers, increased competition. Maybe in the short term people feel a bit disgruntled but I guess in the long run, it is good for UK's economy as well if they attract talented people from all around the globe.

And well take the case of America. There for undergraduate education, there are so many scholarships available for international students. I don't know anyone among my friends who is studying in the US and is NOT on a scholarship. I don't even think nationality is a criteria there. Americans can bawl all they want that their state funds are being used to educate foreign students and all but they have seen the long term positive effects themselves. So many talented internationals migrated there in the 70's and 80's and the positive effects showed on America's fledging IT industry. The Silicon Valley revolution was brought about in a large part by the skilled labour of the so called foreigners. Closing your doors and whining about jobs is just not done in the current scenario.
Well. But I don't really think this is fundamentally wrong or anything. It is good in a modern world economy to break country barriers, increased competition. Maybe in the short term people feel a bit disgruntled but I guess in the long run, it is good for UK's economy as well if they attract talented people from all around the globe.

And well take the case of America. There for undergraduate education, there are so many scholarships available for international students. I don't know anyone among my friends who is studying in the US and is NOT on a scholarship. I don't even think nationality is a criteria there. Americans can bawl all they want that their state funds are being used to educate foreign students and all but they have seen the long term positive effects themselves. So many talented internationals migrated there in the 70's and 80's and the positive effects showed on America's fledging IT industry. The Silicon Valley revolution was brought about in a large part by the skilled labour of the so called foreigners. Closing your doors and whining about jobs is just not done in the current scenario.

Well, just one correcction perhaps. unis in america give out scholarships by the use of their own funds, gathered from donations, not the states funds. and the state-owned unis are unlikely to spend any money on foreign students' scholarships and they do charged differently for domestic stuents and international students. Hence, the tax payers' money is not used for internationals.
Well, just one correcction perhaps. unis in america give out scholarships by the use of their own funds, gathered from donations, not the states funds. and the state-owned unis are unlikely to spend any money on foreign students' scholarships and they do charged differently for domestic stuents and international students. Hence, the tax payers' money is not used for internationals.

Oh well. I am sorry then. I stand corrected. :redface:

But anyways USA is very open towards accepting everyone and hasn't that been one of the positive factors for it??
maybe this discussion should be moved to a new thread?
Reply 626
Original post by joebarron

Yeah getting pretty boring, I just want to hear who has offers and where
Well, I think that subsidy point of yours lacks substantial proof. I don't think my actual cost of just tuition would come out to be more than around 12,000-13,000 pounds per year. And if you come to the University of Delhi, it is exactly the same. I think international tuition fees is around 2-3 times like the UK.
Plus, there are other options mate. I am not coming to destroy your jobs or anything. I would take up a job in some other country if I get a better opportunity there. It is all about merit only in the end. And plus some universities take so many int. students because of the cultural diversity as well. I know it sounds cliched, but we are living in an increasingly globalized world. You should be proud of the fact that your country offers such world class education and you don't have to go anywhere for it. And rather than crib about us taking your jobs, I think people should just try to improve their profiles.

Think about it, why in the world would any employer prefer me over you. doesn't that make the phrase "Taking our jobs" a bit redundant?? :smile:

Cheers mate. I'd hate to take anyone's job or hurt anyone. If I find a very hostile environment in the UK, most probably I won't come in the first place. And the Bristol place that I would be giving up may very well go to a deserving British student. :smile:

hey mate, i don't think you should give up on the uk, even if there are a few angry people.
I'm a domestic student and i don't mind you coming, as long as i get an invite to one of your weed parties :biggrin:
Original post by lemonade789
hey mate, i don't think you should give up on the uk, even if there are a few angry people.
I'm a domestic student and i don't mind you coming, as long as i get an invite to one of your weed parties :biggrin:

Definitely mate. :biggrin: If I meet my conditional offer that is!! :frown:
BTW cigarettes are so expensive in the UK!! :eek:
Like around 5.5 pounds a packet!! In India they are like 1.5 pounds a packet. :cool:
I have started inquiring about the maximum legal number of packets you can bring over. It is around 2 cartons I think. 200 fags. Won't last one frigging week. :rolleyes:
Reply 629
Original post by joebarron

Agree !! Who's even started this nonsensical debate anyways ? We aint here to discuss politics bla bla bla but to know who's got an offer and where , period ! Jesus Christ !!!! Wats wrong with you people ???

Any emails from LSE Economics anyone ??? Now thats what i m talking about ......
Reply 630
Original post by Mr_Deeds
This is a thread for prospective Economics students to post their offers for the 2010/2011 admissions cycle.

Please use the following format:

Course: Economics
University: Warwick
Offer: AAA

If you would like to discuss offers, or seek advice regarding the conditions of them, please use this thread. Any spam posted here will be binned.

Good luck everyone :smile:!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28941245#post28941245

I have come up with a thread that:
i) Allows this set of applicants to see what their competition is like, so they don't have to ask for each others grades so often they can simply input the data and find their type of competition.
ii) Next years applicants can gain an estimate on how good a applicant they are based on what type of people got offers with these grades and what kind of people did get offers with them grades etc.

I was then wondering if you could edit your OP and input this link in.
Thanks
SPMS
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 631
Original post by amans13
Nope, i havent even got the acknowledgement email yet! have you?

well apparently sussex don't give you an acknowledgement email and i have an acknowledgement from surrey :s-smilie:
Reply 632
I wouldnt hold anything in acknowledgements, manchester didnt give me, got an offer already, shefflield sent me an acknowledgement email only just morning, sent my application off close to 4weeks ago, b'ham and bristol sent acknowledgements very quickly, nothing else though and reading have gave no contact at all, but neither did manchester before the offer
Reply 633
Original post by Byrney11
well apparently sussex don't give you an acknowledgement email and i have an acknowledgement from surrey :s-smilie:

Sorry to come in, but where have you heard that Sussex don't send out an acknowledgement email as this is new news to me.
Reply 634
University: LSE
Offer: A* Maths, A Economics, Pass Further Maths, D3 Physics
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 635
Original post by rio9898
course: Economics
university: Lse
offer: A* maths, a economics, pass further maths, d3 physics

very jealous
Original post by rio9898
University: LSE
Offer: A* Maths, A Economics, Pass Further Maths, D3 Physics

When did you send off your application?
Reply 637
Original post by asdfg0987
When did you send off your application?

October 14th i think, LSE seem to give out offers at random intervals up until the deadline so I guess if you still havent heard from them its probably a good thing!
Original post by rio9898
October 14th i think, LSE seem to give out offers at random intervals up until the deadline so I guess if you still havent heard from them its probably a good thing!

I sent mine arounf that time as well, oct 15th maybe. Anyway congrats!
Reply 639
When did you receive your offer form LSE. What other universitys did you apply too and have you heard back form them? Well done!

Latest

Trending

Trending