The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Google it. You will see that I am correct about the 10%. :redface:
She is fat. You probably think that obese is fat, and fat is slightly tubby. As for real women.....

There is a good reason why these women get paid more in a month then she will get paid in 5 years....

Oh look at that. You completely avoided my first line proving me right on my idea that you live in a bubble of denial.

Sigh, best of luck trying to get one of those women for yourself...
No no no. Sorry, but you are just wrong.
Only 10% of people overweight are overweight due to medical reasons. Everyone else needs to eat less and/or do more exercise.
Ask a doctor about his opinion on her. She will be overweight and most guys will not find her attractive. All that has happened is that your idea (and the average British perception) of fat is actually obese or morbidly obese.
As for looking fine, how does she look compared to a real model - say a VC model? :rolleyes:

You do like to sugar coat the truth. This is obvious as you accuse me of insulting people when I actually have not, I have merely stated facts or a simple opinion.
As for helping fatties, I am in the process of getting a rather overweight to go to the gym however it is my experience that most can not be helped as they have to admit that they are overweight/have a problem.

Again, medical problems only account for roughly 10% of overweight people so stop using them as a reason.
being lazy is pretty self explanatory when it comes to weight eg the person does no exercise. This will cause a person to burn off less calories and probably gain weight.
Do your research before commenting on evidence of attraction. Many studies have shown that it exists, just have a look at the 0.7 ratio for women.
You actually show why it is very unlikely that a fat person has high self-esteem. If it is based on self-acceptance, then they have to accept that they are overweight and the many reasons why they are overweight. If they then proceed to ignore this problems after accepting them, then they are inherently a bad person. What is more likely is that they accept their problems and then deal with them resulting in a change of lifestyle and weight.

lol.. I have read the research. There is little evidence of objective or instinctual human attractiveness, apart from hip/waist ratio and symmetrical facial features. Our understanding of physical attraction is very limited, even the people who devised the 0.7 ratio/facial features studies have said this.

And self-acceptance is a common basis as put forward by the psychological profession. How can one not be confident without self-acceptance? Self-acceptance also means accepting flaws, since everybody has them, and either leaving them be or changing them if they are bothersome in one's life. A person who cannot speak publicly can have healthy self-esteem, but choose to overcome this weakness if it is a hindrance. you simply are basing your conclusions on what pop culture tells you, not any hard evidence or facts.
Original post by lightburns
The woman is most certainly fat. Not morbidly obese, but fat nonetheless.

Does this matter? No. It's her body. If she's comfortable in it, that's all that matters. What right do I have to criticise her for her life choices?

But, she is fat. That's just a statement of fact.

On the statistics.. I don't know. But this is an interesting graph:

So in an adult population, less than 3.2% should be obese due to health concerns... But 23% of UK is obese? So that means at least ~20 out of 23 is down to life choices.

Wait, where are you getting the 3.2% from? You can't honestly use Japan and Korea's low figures for that reason. Are you suggesting thus that there are no people whatsoever in those countries who are overweight due to life choices?

As for the 23%, that is seriously worrying...

But I still don't agree that this woman is fat. Fair play that you're not insulting her for it or commenting on her own feelings about her body but I definitely do not consider her fat.
Above the average size, fair enough but not fat.
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Wait, where are you getting the 3.2% from? You can't honestly use Japan and Korea's low figures for that reason. Are you suggesting thus that there are no people whatsoever in those countries who are overweight due to life choices?

As for the 23%, that is seriously worrying...

But I still don't agree that this woman is fat. Fair play that you're not insulting her for it or commenting on her own feelings about her body but I definitely do not consider her fat.
Above the average size, fair enough but not fat.

Of course there will be people in Korea and Japan who are obese due to life choices - but I don't know how many. So I am using the 3.2% as a maximum figure.

I guess 'fat' is too subjective - some people think that as morbidly obese, others chubby. I think we can agree she is overweight though.. I'm sure she could still get most guys though; she is definitely not ugly.
Looking good is like being rich - everyone wants it but most people never achieve it because they are too lazy.
Of course being a mother is hard work, but what ever happened to the father helping out? :rolleyes: Also do some exercise at home. If your kid is watching tv or playing, go on a treadmill or do a work out dvd.
Time and money is only a small factor. What they lack is effort and dedication.

Being fat is a choice for 90% of people. They choose to eat too much or eat badly, they choose to do no exercise. No one forces them to do these actions, ergo it is a choice. As for 'being happy with what they have' , they are simply complacent.

Rocket science is hard. Competing in the Olympics is hard. Losing weight is easy, it only takes time and commitment which most people lack.

Why would I want to accept someone for being chubby? As I have mentioned, this shows they are lazy, lack self control, motivation, ambition, and have possible emotional issues. All of these are terrible traits to have and I would not want to be with someone so screwed up.

Right, so without meeting me or talking to me, you have assumed that I am

lazy
unhealthy
'screwed up'
have a lack of self control
unmotivated
ambitionless

need I carry on?

It will interest you to know that I am a rocket scientist.

Stop trolling Jimbo, no one cares.
I dont get the whole "anyone who is plus size is a real woman" argument.... surely some women are naturally slim and some women are naturally larger. "Real women" come in all different shapes and sizes not just 14 and above. Seeing as they have plus size and skinny models what about us size 8-12's LOL!

Anyway I digress, I think she's a beautiful woman none the less
Original post by The*Doctor's*Rose
That wasn't an insult.

Are you going to reply to my comparison of what good looking guys want as wives? :rolleyes:

Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Sigh, best of luck trying to get one of those women for yourself...

Of course I do not think I will get that, but I would prefer a girl who tired to aim for that rather then giving up and gobbling on another Mars bar.

Original post by rajandkwameali
lol.. I have read the research. There is little evidence of objective or instinctual human attractiveness, apart from hip/waist ratio and symmetrical facial features. Our understanding of physical attraction is very limited, even the people who devised the 0.7 ratio/facial features studies have said this.

And self-acceptance is a common basis as put forward by the psychological profession. How can one not be confident without self-acceptance? Self-acceptance also means accepting flaws, since everybody has them, and either leaving them be or changing them if they are bothersome in one's life. A person who cannot speak publicly can have healthy self-esteem, but choose to overcome this weakness if it is a hindrance. you simply are basing your conclusions on what pop culture tells you, not any hard evidence or facts.

The reasons are unknown, but the results are known and this is what matters.
A person can realise their flaws, but a better person realises their flaws and aims to improve.
Anyway, as I have shown, more guys prefer VC models over the tubby lass OP showed so I think this is enough evidence to show that being fat is not attractive to most people.

Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Right, so without meeting me or talking to me, you have assumed that I am

lazy
unhealthy
'screwed up'
have a lack of self control
unmotivated
ambitionless

need I carry on?

It will interest you to know that I am a rocket scientist.

Stop trolling Jimbo, no one cares.

Unless it is due to medical reasons, then you will most likely have one or more of those traits.
If not, then why have you chosen to be overweight?
How has being overweight helped you?
Original post by RachelOranges
I dont get the whole "anyone who is plus size is a real woman" argument.... surely some women are naturally slim and some women are naturally larger. "Real women" come in all different shapes and sizes not just 14 and above. Seeing as they have plus size and skinny models what about us size 8-12's LOL!

Anyway I digress, I think she's a beautiful woman none the less

seconded
Reply 408
Original post by basketofsnakes
****ing media putting the idea in fatties' heads that this = curvy

this is what a 'real woman' actually is by today's standards.

sad.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5997/wallpaper342359.jpg

"plus size model"?

lmao what a joke

Bet you weren't expecting all those thumbs up were you? :holmes:
Original post by basketofsnakes
****ing media putting the idea in fatties' heads that this = curvy

this is what a 'real woman' actually is by today's standards.

sad.

Actually, **** the media for brainwashing girls with the idea that a 'real woman' has a stomach that shows every single rib in her body, legs up to heaven and somehow manages to grow a pair of gigantic boobs all at the same time. If that's the case, 'real women' don't exist.
Unless it is due to medical reasons, then you will most likely have one or more of those traits.
If not, then why have you chosen to be overweight?
How has being overweight helped you?

Why do you assume that I have 'chosen' to be this way?

In terms of how it has helped me, dear: it has given me the smartest, loveliest, sexiest BROAD MINDED (an important factor in good people...) boyfriend there could ever be. I've got to say, that's pretty positive.

Why should I justify my reasons for being 'fat'? If being thin means I get people like you after me, Jimbo my lad, then I'd rather be Dawn French.

Who, by the way, is beautiful, funny, sexy and smart.

Deal with it Jimbo. Just deal with it my man.
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Why do you assume that I have 'chosen' to be this way?

In terms of how it has helped me, dear: it has given me the smartest, loveliest, sexiest BROAD MINDED (an important factor in good people...) boyfriend there could ever be. I've got to say, that's pretty positive.

Why should I justify my reasons for being 'fat'? If being thin means I get people like you after me, Jimbo my lad, then I'd rather be Dawn French.

Who, by the way, is beautiful, funny, sexy and smart.

Deal with it Jimbo. Just deal with it my man.

Hm yes, I am sure you find him sexy, but does anyone else or is this yet another lie in order to warp reality into something more pleasant?

Just stop lying to yourself and realise the simple truth - fat is unattractive.

Look at every guy who is thought to be hot in Hollywood and look at who they date? I am sure you would love to be on their arms, but they clearly would not want someone fat on theirs.

What is so strange is that it can be solved so easily, but yet you still substitute in your own reality as it is easier............

Also, what happened to someone being hot and having a great personality? Oh yeah, that guy does not exist in your world as it would make you look like you were aiming so very low.:rolleyes:
Are you going to reply to my comparison of what good looking guys want as wives? :rolleyes:

Of course I do not think I will get that, but I would prefer a girl who tired to aim for that rather then giving up and gobbling on another Mars bar.

The reasons are unknown, but the results are known and this is what matters.
A person can realise their flaws, but a better person realises their flaws and aims to improve.Who is to say we should improve flaws? As I said, everybody has them. Some people are overly talkative, or are thoughtless, it is part of who they are. This has nothing to do with self-esteem/confidence. A person who bases their confidence only on being good looking is a loser frankly.

The studies are not final and there is more to learn about, and know, physical attractiveness. I think there are some commonalities in attractiveness, we far from know a complete picture.

Anyway, as I have shown, more guys prefer VC models over the tubby lass OP showed so I think this is enough evidence to show that being fat is not attractive to most people.

This doesn't prove instinctual attractiveness, or at least cannot stand as good proof of it. lol... What fool believes that simply because most people think something, it's inherently good? it's better to see or understand why most people think so.
Original post by rajandkwameali
Who is to say we should improve flaws? As I said, everybody has them. Some people are overly talkative, or are thoughtless, it is part of who they are. This has nothing to do with self-esteem/confidence. A person who bases their confidence only on being good looking is a loser frankly.

The studies are not final and there is more to learn about, and know, physical attractiveness. I think there are some commonalities in attractiveness, we far from know a complete picture.

This doesn't prove instinctual attractiveness, or at least cannot stand as good proof of it. lol... What fool believes that simply because most people think something, it's inherently good? it's better to see or understand why most people think so.

To not want to improve shows many bad traits such as lacking ambition, being selfish, and complacency. How is being at your very best going to hold you back and not give you the most opportunities in life?

There is more to attraction then we know, but what we know does allow us to draw solid conclusions because what we do not understand are the causes and reasons, not the results.

Being fit has never caused problems for people, yet being fat does. Most people prefer fitter looking people which is obvious when you look at the modelling industry (not coat-hangar models) or Hollywood. But one thing we can say is that for the vast majority of people, fat is unattractive, and that 'model' in the OP is fat.

Original post by Beth Angharad
Actually, **** the media for brainwashing girls with the idea that a 'real woman' has a stomach that shows every single rib in her body, legs up to heaven and somehow manages to grow a pair of gigantic boobs all at the same time. If that's the case, 'real women' don't exist.

You make a fair point, but do you really think the media is helping the problem by doing the opposite and encouraging girls to be unfit and overweight like that model?
(edited 13 years ago)
this is the most ridiculous thread ive ever seen.
shes not fat...
id say curvy definitley.
and even so, who cares? do you know her? no so why do you care.
shes beautiful

You do like to sugar coat the truth. This is obvious as you accuse me of insulting people when I actually have not, I have merely stated facts or a simple opinion.
As for helping fatties, I am in the process of getting a rather overweight to go to the gym however it is my experience that most can not be helped as they have to admit that they are overweight/have a problem.

Do your research before commenting on evidence of attraction. Many studies have shown that it exists, just have a look at the 0.7 ratio for women.

You did assign a whole range of characteristics to fat people which are just as likely to apply to skinny people, or average weight people for that matter. In principle I sort of agree with you in a few points (namely that as a country we need to slim down) however, I don't think you have to be an obnoxious douche about it.
Going through your posts I've noticed that you mention the 0.7 ratio a lot. Are you aware that losing weight doesn't tend to alter that ratio? Just wondering, as the way you phrased one of your posts was unclear.

What's a VC model?
EDIT: Victoria's Secret?
(edited 13 years ago)
Why do most threads about weight on here turn into an argument, and trolling by people who have no idea what people in the real world are like?
Plenty of people who are skinny in their teens become overweight as they get older.

Everyone is different, what's important is that someone is happy with themselves and accepts themselves for who they are. Looking at threads like this, it is obvious why so many people have low self-esteem and eating disorders.
I think the way she is lying makes her look worse.
I like how people seem to think genetics have no basis on this, they do to an extent. Most people stay about the same weight year to year without thinking much about it. Our bady amazingly self regulates when we feel hungry etc. This being even a little out can cause massive fluctuations in weight. Think about it, we consume ~2500cals a day as what we need. Most people do not count calories. If you were out by even 1% that is 25cals over consumption or a quarter of a small bar of chocolate that adds up to over 9000 over consumption over a year or 3lbs of pure fat. So any minor genetic alteration/defect can cause modest weigth gain (I am not talking 20 stone overweight over here obviously). Genes have been associated with obesity. It isn't a simple case of one gene = fat gene. More an accumulations of certain versions might suggest it.

Latest

Trending

Trending