The Student Room Group

Why do people insult my looks in my relationship?

I just don’t understand it. For context me and my girlfriend did have a rocky start and I wasn’t the best person and it has affected her and we have been working on it. She would go to her friends (and still does) and they all follow the same pattern in what they say like “your gorgeous” and “you can do better, your way out of his leauge” or “your doing charity work” and it’s like why tf do you need to attack my looks? I’m not even that ugly. Like yeah my girlfriend is beautiful and has a curvy body and everything but why my damn looks? This was a character issue in the beginning and so it’d make more sense to go after my personality…a guy’s confidence is everything and I’d be lying if I said this didn’t do a number on my self esteem. To make matters even more ridiculous. One of the girls that called me ugly had a crush on me and said I was out of her leauge and told me I was hot etc and according to my girlfriend she said her friends that said I was ugly used to say we were a cute couple…what’s going on? This stuff stings/hurts and is confusing me
Reply 1
Its hard to say but sounds like they are jealous of what you and your girlfriend have. I would ask them strait what thier problem is and why they feel it is ok to cause you to feel self conscious and anxious. Also talk to your girlfriend about how this is making you feel. she might be able to help and also reassure you she likes you for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I just don’t understand it. For context me and my girlfriend did have a rocky start and I wasn’t the best person and it has affected her and we have been working on it. She would go to her friends (and still does) and they all follow the same pattern in what they say like “your gorgeous” and “you can do better, your way out of his leauge” or “your doing charity work” and it’s like why tf do you need to attack my looks? I’m not even that ugly. Like yeah my girlfriend is beautiful and has a curvy body and everything but why my damn looks? This was a character issue in the beginning and so it’d make more sense to go after my personality…a guy’s confidence is everything and I’d be lying if I said this didn’t do a number on my self esteem. To make matters even more ridiculous. One of the girls that called me ugly had a crush on me and said I was out of her leauge and told me I was hot etc and according to my girlfriend she said her friends that said I was ugly used to say we were a cute couple…what’s going on? This stuff stings/hurts and is confusing me

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it's good that you and your girlfriend are working on things and i hope things get better for you both. It would definitely be worth speaking to her about her friends' comments because realistically those 'friends' are putting both of you down for constantly making remarks like that. It's going to be making your girlfriend feel miserable too because she's going to feel caught up in this and it looks like they're not interested in calming down.

As others have said it may be due to jealousy, but they honestly just sound like terrible people. I wouldn't take their comments to heart, because they're just spewing rubbish to put you down in any way they can - her friends can't even use 2 brain cells to make a decision as to whether they like you or not - don't worry about daft people like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending