The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What do you like about UCL?

Hi guys

I really like UCL
but I just realised that I don't know very much about it at all.

What's it like? What do you like about it?

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
London, students from all over the world, prestige, rankings, fewer nerds than in some other unis that I will not mention
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
- a friendly and relaxed international community - both students and lecturers
- a well-deserved reputation for academic excellence
- great facilities
- at the heart of London
- gives me the opportunity to study exactly what I want to

There is, of course, always room for improvement, but coming to UCL was one of the best decisions I've taken in my life.
Is Biochemistry taught well there? I can't decide between Imperial and UCL.
Original post by There will be Particles

Have you looked at the changes Imperial is undergoing? It's probably not as bad as the student union says, but it will most likely affect their quality of education.
Reply 5
Original post by tenhornedbeast
- a friendly and relaxed international community - both students and lecturers
- a well-deserved reputation for academic excellence
- great facilities
- at the heart of London
- gives me the opportunity to study exactly what I want to

There is, of course, always room for improvement, but coming to UCL was one of the best decisions I've taken in my life.

This pretty much.

Though no matter where you go, you should make the most of it. UCL is definitely a place I'd recommend to anyone. Life feels so good here. =]
Original post by HannieTheConqueror
Have you looked at the changes Imperial is undergoing? It's probably not as bad as the student union says, but it will most likely affect their quality of education.

I know that's why I'm now seriously considering just going to UCL if I get offers from both.

But I just want some sort of idea what UCL is like, I've heard negative things about the biochem course they run.
I know that's why I'm now seriously considering just going to UCL if I get offers from both.

But I just want some sort of idea what UCL is like, I've heard negative things about the biochem course they run.

What sort of negative things?
Original post by HannieTheConqueror
What sort of negative things?

I've no idea if they're true but things like the lecturers are unfriendly and overly strict also how the labs are dated etc.
Reply 9
Thanks for starting this thread!

I have offers for both UCL and Kings and I'm interested to know what people think about student life in London? Do you have a sense of community even though they are not campus? I can imagine it might feel slightly lonely/segregated? Also, if this applies to anyone, did you find it reasonably easy to get a job in London?

Original post by Dizzycop

I have offers for both UCL and Kings and I'm interested to know what people think about student life in London? Do you have a sense of community even though they are not campus? I can imagine it might feel slightly lonely/segregated? Also, if this applies to anyone, did you find it reasonably easy to get a job in London?

You will feel lonely the first few weeks but you will fast make friends. You will make friends from your hall, your course, the societies you joined etc. Don't be bothered.

Also try to imagine how many opportunities are available to you in london: clubs, concerts, museums,... Same applies for job I presume (I never tried to work part-time).
Their brilliant programs! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Frenchous
London, students from all over the world, prestige, rankings, fewer nerds than in some other unis that I will not mention

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE :wink:
*subs*
Reply 14

Yes, it's taught well. It will never probably be taught as well as Imperial or hold the same prestige, but it is near the top in terms of teaching quality. Of course, Imperial is getting worse (as another poster pointed out) so UCL is probably more attractive.

Anyway, i would basically sum up the decision as, academic life vs social life. If you want an amazing degree and a **** social life then go to Imperial. If you want a decent degree that wouldn't put you below an Imperial graduate in terms of employment prospects anyway, plus an amazing social life, then go to UCL. I made this decision last year and haven't looked back; a UCL degree is very well respected and the life sciences department is very strong here.
Great Uni. Next to shopping districts and in the heart of London.

Also I liked how it was a bus ride away from my family. (in London of course)
Reply 16
the only problem with UCL is they burn you like a bitch in first year
Reply 17
Original post by Dizzycop

For a start, your an idiot if you choose Kings over UCL.

I honestly couldn't see myself at any other uni other than UCL. You make friends so quickly on your course and in halls that if you've put the effort in over the first few weeks there is always someone to chill with. There isn't so much a sense of community of the whole UCL student body being together; i find there is a sense though in halls (i'm in ifor evans hall on the ifor campus which is the largest concentration of students in UCL halls) though, i mean, i see people who i know when i go to the laundry room or dinner etc, but then theres always people you dont know, it's cool i find. In all honesty, i cant really compare the sense of community at UCL to that at say, Sheffield, but i can say that i haven't missed anything to do with a sense of community, so if it isn't here, it hasn't been noticed.

The only problem i kind of have, is that my friend lives 2 miles away near UCL and i'm up in Camden, so whenever i want to see her i have to walk or bus it and it's quite far compared to at other unis i expect. It's not a problem to me though, i think it just forces you to exercise.

Yeah, my two friends gave out cvs on tottenham court road and got jobs within a few weeks; they even tried to get me to get a job at the same place; seems quite easy to me to get a job.
Reply 18
Not as pretentious as other top ten universities. Not a walk in the park when it comes to the degree courses either. I turned down a postgraduate place at Cambridge to remain at UCL.
Original post by Madmax
Not as pretentious as other top ten universities. Not a walk in the park when it comes to the degree courses either. I turned down a postgraduate place at Cambridge to remain at UCL.

Hmm.. Considering you have a degree from UCL already, I reckon one year in Cambridge would have been a better idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending