The Student Room Group

Anyone been unfairly dismissed from a job ?

Just wondered what happened and did you appeal ?

It happened to me earlier this year and i appealed but head office were biase against me and didn't offer me another job.

However i have applied to go back next month ( i was told i could ) and just waiting to hear if i get a job. ( my application is through to final stage so its looking good.)
Reply 1
You're fighting to get back into this job? Will that not be a little bit awkward if you get rehired? Where do you work?

And no, I've never been dismissed from a Job. I dismiss them :hmmm:
Reply 2
I have been. Well I think it was unfair lol. I had a lot of time off sick as I had unexplained migraines and basically spent the best part of a month between seeing the doctor and being in bed. I got sacked for not being in much. As it happens, the next job I went for my mum worked in the personnel dept and someone there told her that my ex boss had said he shouldn't have sacked me and that he was far too hasty in it, and made a mistake!
I didn't appeal though, I didn't want to cause any fuss. I wasn't that bothered anyway cos I was only 17, I didn't care whether I had a job or not!
I had a throat infection and struggled to talk. I wasn't allowed any more sick leave
I went in, and I was told I had to host a quiz (I worked in a care home)
I said, I can't shout, they won't hear me, I was told to try my best

Next day I was called in to the managers office, was told I was too quiet and they couldn't hear me in the quiz and they can't have that.
Manager said I should have said I had a sore throat. I did. I was told to do it anyway. The woman who told me said "didn't sound that bad" FU!

I think they were trying to get rid of the new staff though. One girl got fired for leaving the bathroom light on, and another for leaving a gap when she shut the window.

I was told to appeal by everyone, but I was just soo angry about the whole ordeal and I didn't know how to get in contact with the other girls...
Reply 4
I don't wanna say the company but they have several locations around the country and i can work at any of them , so won't be going back to same one.
Once i was working at Greggs and one day i must've accidentally ate a doughnut or three and i got told off and then i got into an argument with my boss saying that i was hungry and then after a few hours i got fired :frown:
Reply 6
I'm probably not far off tbh. :rolleyes:

Two weeks ago I said I'm not working a 10 hour shift as I'm under 18 and the maximum I can work is 8. I think alot of people disregard that young worker right but I really couldn't be bothered.

Then last week I didn't come in due to snow as buses were off. I also tried ringing 5 different taxi firms for 20 minutes but none answered as they didn't have any Taxi's to send out. Came in next day and got snotty's and someone sasid I should have got a taxi so you can tell they all said that. But tbh, if I did get a taxi, there and back it would have cost more than I would have earned in that night. :unimpressed:

Mehh, ramble over. :colone:
Reply 7
I got given a 11 hour shift when i was 17 but didn't do it for the same reason !
My other half was once given a 'suggestion that he look elsewhere' when he worked in a local pub because - and this isn't even a joke - he was 'too polite for the customer base'. Now there's one I haven't heard before. He's polite, but not unnaturally so... apparently they said he would be better suited to 'a trendy youth bar', whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. He got loads of quite hefty tips as well, so he clearly wasn't as 'offputting' as they told him he was. O.o

Don't think he did much about it though, as it was only a part time money raiser before he went into a very intensive year long HE course, and he got another job almost immediately after at some posh race course restaurant that paid better and didn't complain.
Reply 9
Original post by Mouse Potato
My other half was once given a 'suggestion that he look elsewhere' when he worked in a local pub because - and this isn't even a joke - he was 'too polite for the customer base'. Now there's one I haven't heard before. He's polite, but not unnaturally so... apparently they said he would be better suited to 'a trendy youth bar', whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. He got loads of quite hefty tips as well, so he clearly wasn't as 'offputting' as they told him he was. O.o

Don't think he did much about it though, as it was only a part time money raiser before he went into a very intensive year long HE course, and he got another job almost immediately after at some posh race course restaurant that paid better and didn't complain.

Now that's really something I've never heard before....... too polite as a reason for dismissal. Probably more to the story than meets the eye I reckon.

Original post by ufo_01

It happened to me earlier this year and i appealed but head office were biase against me and didn't offer me another job.

However i have applied to go back next month ( i was told i could ) and just waiting to hear if i get a job. ( my application is through to final stage so its looking good.)

A good horse never eats old grass - old Chinese proverb :smile:

Anyway yes I did get the sack from my first job at university. I was 17 then...... hehe joined it mostly because I liked one girl that started working there.

First strike...... I assembled the calzone without any cheese. But the customer ordered it without cheese.

Second strike..... I started selling several large lattes as small :biggrin: At least 30 if I remember correctly.

Third strike...... I made pizzas with swastika motives on it for one German.

They told me to appeal, I went to the manager and told him FU. :smile:

I didn't really need the job tbh and my parents would have gotten livid if they knew I was doing that job.
Reply 10
Original post by ufo_01

I did some factory work years ago (horrible work), I was hired when the company were beginning to expand and take on mopre work, a year later, they hadn't got as much work as they thought they would. I turned up for work one day, and they told me that shift would be my last :frown:

I contacted the CAB, but because I had only worked there a year I didn't have much in the way of rights...

Although, my last shift was a quiet night shift, so I spent it in the factory office calling random mobiles etc and chatting to people, and the talking clock. When I got bored of that I left rude messages on the machinery with permanenet markers etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending