The Student Room Group

Boyfriend cancelled on Christmas eve... Now I'm home alone.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
playing his xbox.

I'm no electrical engineer so can't comment on technical specifics but I'd wager if you used a device such as a hammer, placed the xbox on it's side(horizontal way), and smashed down with all your power multiple times, he would no longer be distracted by xbox or put it over you like some insensitive idiot. :biggrin:
Same here, Kopparberg in this house!

Slightly different though cos mine lives the opposite end of the country and is with his family for Christmas.
He told me weeks ago his sister was coming back on christmas eve from a different country. anyway. the last time i saw him was last weekend, and we had a really lovely time. since then i have been off uni and have been free most days and we both have been looking forward to seeing eachother more. but he has been working so was too tired or busy to see me. which is fair enough. but some nights he made excuses like "it's too late" and on wednesday he just wanted to sit in and play the xbox. i realised he was just assuming he would see me on thursday, like he usually did when i was at university. but i had made plans to see friends who i hadn't seen in months so he asked if he could see me christmas eve, today. i thought during the day because of his sister, but he insisted he wanted to see me at 7. my family usually go to my aunts on christmas eve, like a tradition. but all my siblings are off to their other half's or friend's. and my parents went alone. i was invited to my friend's aswell, for a christmasy gathering, but i said i couldn't cause i still needed a shower, wrap presents then see the boyf.

he texted me in the afternoon, confirming the time. "7 or so" i spent the whole day looking forward to it. and getting ready for him. i'm groomed to the max, changed my clothes loads to find the perfect outfit, rushed my dinner, wrapped his present, planning what we should do, just looking forward to a lovely relaxing christmas eve with him.
so yeah i was sitting here til about half 8, expecting him to text that he is on his way, and sorry for being late. checking my phone every two minutes. I know i sound like such a loser. then i got the text, "i'll try and get up to you tomorrow." and i was planning on seeing the family and friends tomorrow cause i gave them up for him tonight.

i just feel so embarrassed tbh. completely let down. i actually blushed when i got the text, i was cringing at myself for getting so pointlessly excited. i just said "that's fine."
i passed up seeing family and close friends, and now i'm sitting on thestudentroom... and i just saw that he is sitting on facebook, and he texted me again saying he's in the bath... yep.. i feel abit sickened for some weird reason. any words of comfort?

Leave that dickhead.:angry:
Original post by Ayostunner
Call him and tell him what he's missing out on :sexface:

What am I missing? What do you want to show me? :sexface:
Reply 44
Original post by joey11223
I'm no electrical engineer so can't comment on technical specifics but I'd wager if you used a device such as a hammer, placed the xbox on it's side(horizontal way), and smashed down with all your power multiple times, he would no longer be distracted by xbox or put it over you like some insensitive idiot. :biggrin:

lol, that really made me laugh
lol, that really made me laugh

Well sometimes the truth can be funny.:tongue:
Reasons why Christmas is silly:

1) It's based off Jesus birthday supposedly. Birthdays get on my nerves. They're silly because the day is a rather arbitrary length of time to celebrate for. Why do we not celebrate birth hours? Birth weeks? Birth lunar months?

2) Similarly, The year is a rather arbitrary time interval over which to celebrate something. Why do they not come once a decade? Once a lunar month?

3) Assuming the above are dealt with, the day chosen is still equally arbitrary. We're smart enough to realise the day was picked purely because it coincided with the pre-existing Roman winter solstice festival (iirc, pretty sure that's the one). They could've picked it to coincide with any number of other pre-existing festivals. Assuming you believe in Jesus, accept that you don't have a damn clue when he was born. You have a roughly (not taking into account that given you don't know the year, he could've been born on February the 29th in a leap year) a one in three hundred and sixty five chance of hitting the right day. I wouldn't bet on those odds.

4) Even assuming all the other points are addressed, if you're Christian and so believe there's a good reason to celebrate Jesus birthday, you have a damn good reason to celebrate him every other fricking day anyway. Why mark one day as particularly special? Does it give you an excuse to slack off the rest of the year?

On the upside, presents and Christmas dinner are a win.

But yeah, I'm sure there are other days of the year you didn't see your boyfriend, and this is really no more important than them.
Original post by Concept186

But yeah, I'm sure there are other days of the year you didn't see your boyfriend, and this is really no more important than them.

Ah but even if you disregard the time of year it's still insensitive for him to arrange a day to meet her, text her that same day confirming the time, then not show up and not even bother to text until 90 mins after he's meant to arrive to say he's not coming. Her family went out to a nice party(even if we're not talking Christmas) and she could have gone with friends or family but stayed home alone to wait for him...
Reply 48
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Same here, Kopparberg in this house!

Slightly different though cos mine lives the opposite end of the country and is with his family for Christmas.

Jagermeister in this house!
Reply 49
Original post by Concept186
Reasons why Christmas is silly:

1) It's based off Jesus birthday supposedly. Birthdays get on my nerves. They're silly because the day is a rather arbitrary length of time to celebrate for. Why do we not celebrate birth hours? Birth weeks? Birth lunar months?

2) Similarly, The year is a rather arbitrary time interval over which to celebrate something. Why do they not come once a decade? Once a lunar month?

3) Assuming the above are dealt with, the day chosen is still equally arbitrary. We're smart enough to realise the day was picked purely because it coincided with the pre-existing Roman winter solstice festival (iirc, pretty sure that's the one). They could've picked it to coincide with any number of other pre-existing festivals. Assuming you believe in Jesus, accept that you don't have a damn clue when he was born. You have a roughly (not taking into account that given you don't know the year, he could've been born on February the 29th in a leap year) a one in three hundred and sixty five chance of hitting the right day. I wouldn't bet on those odds.

4) Even assuming all the other points are addressed, if you're Christian and so believe there's a good reason to celebrate Jesus birthday, you have a damn good reason to celebrate him every other fricking day anyway. Why mark one day as particularly special? Does it give you an excuse to slack off the rest of the year?

On the upside, presents and Christmas dinner are a win.

If you tell someone you love them every 2 minutes, they'l get acustomed to it, meaning that the word has now lost its meaning.
If you tell them spontaniously and not too often.. the word will mean so much more, and give them that warm feeling.

Although christmas is a just another day.. it still has greater presidence than other days and clearly means something to the OP.. so that along side the fact that she clearly loves him (wether unjustly or not) means that she'l be hurt more than other days.

Just my thoughts, but seems sound to me.
As for the boyfriend, matybe theres a genuine reason why he cant be there. If not;
I Hope he sees how special you are and treats you like a princess :smile:
Original post by joey11223
Ah but even if you disregard the time of year it's still insensitive for him to arrange a day to meet her, text her that same day confirming the time, then not show up and not even bother to text until 90 mins after he's meant to arrive to say he's not coming. Her family went out to a nice party(even if we're not talking Christmas) and she could have gone with friends or family but stayed home alone to wait for him...

This is a fair point.
Reply 51
i thought people normally spend xmas with their families and new year with mates...
I'd be seriously irritated. If I were you, I'd keep my Christmas plans as they were, but would text him to a) tell him this and b) say that you're annoyed.

I don't think texting an hour and a half later counts as cancelling at the last minute, to be honest. It's closer to standing someone up :/ Sorry, OP. Try and have a good Christmas and not think about it.
Reply 53
I'd be irritated, but tbh I wouldn't wait 90 mins to see if he would turn up, would ring to check why he wasn't there!
Reply 54
Original post by ShnnyShiz
I'm sorry to have to say this, but maybe he just doesn't care about the relationship (anymore)? In the past, I've behaved in exactly the same way. I didn't quite know why, I just didn't have the willpower to go and see my girlfriend, I couldn't really be bothered. Now I know myself better, it was because I never fully committed myself in those relationships. I didn't really care about the girl, as horrible as that sounds. I got into it just "for the sake of it". Maybe I'm totally wrong, I hope I am. But you don't deserve to be treated like this. Talk to him about it yeahh?

This

He has hit the nail on the head
Reply 55
texted him asking why he cancelled again.. he said "cancel what?"

i got very upset. and kindof blew up on him telling him how he left me alone for his xbox?

he then said, his car didn't work and his dad's was bringing up a fault.

now i dunno what i should do? this a good enough excuse?
texted him asking why he cancelled again.. he said "cancel what?"

i got very upset. and kindof blew up on him telling him how he left me alone for his xbox?

he then said, his car didn't work and his dad's was bringing up a fault.

now i dunno what i should do? this a good enough excuse?

I think his answer sums up how much he cares when he said cancel what, I suggest you cancel the relationship.
my best friend's with a guy like this just now, I'll tell you what I've told her, dump his sorry bum and move on, boys like that are pathetic, and don't deserve your time or effort.
I read this post and thought what a jerk your boyfriend must be, I would find this really unacceptable because in my opinion it kind of shows he doesn't care that much but then I don't know what the basis of your relationship is so...... I think it's selfish he has priortised over you ??!! xx
Reply 59
He told me weeks ago his sister was coming back on christmas eve from a different country. anyway. the last time i saw him was last weekend, and we had a really lovely time. since then i have been off uni and have been free most days and we both have been looking forward to seeing eachother more. but he has been working so was too tired or busy to see me. which is fair enough. but some nights he made excuses like "it's too late" and on wednesday he just wanted to sit in and play the xbox. i realised he was just assuming he would see me on thursday, like he usually did when i was at university. but i had made plans to see friends who i hadn't seen in months so he asked if he could see me christmas eve, today. i thought during the day because of his sister, but he insisted he wanted to see me at 7. my family usually go to my aunts on christmas eve, like a tradition. but all my siblings are off to their other half's or friend's. and my parents went alone. i was invited to my friend's aswell, for a christmasy gathering, but i said i couldn't cause i still needed a shower, wrap presents then see the boyf.

he texted me in the afternoon, confirming the time. "7 or so" i spent the whole day looking forward to it. and getting ready for him. i'm groomed to the max, changed my clothes loads to find the perfect outfit, rushed my dinner, wrapped his present, planning what we should do, just looking forward to a lovely relaxing christmas eve with him.
so yeah i was sitting here til about half 8, expecting him to text that he is on his way, and sorry for being late. checking my phone every two minutes. I know i sound like such a loser. then i got the text, "i'll try and get up to you tomorrow." and i was planning on seeing the family and friends tomorrow cause i gave them up for him tonight.

i just feel so embarrassed tbh. completely let down. i actually blushed when i got the text, i was cringing at myself for getting so pointlessly excited. i just said "that's fine."
i passed up seeing family and close friends, and now i'm sitting on thestudentroom... and i just saw that he is sitting on facebook, and he texted me again saying he's in the bath... yep.. i feel abit sickened for some weird reason. any words of comfort?

Can you get together with your friends for a quick drink or something? No need to explain anything embarrassing, just say that you fancied getting together.

Sounds like your boyfriend needs to pay more attention, I'd be flattered if my girlfriend went to such trouble for me. :smile: Hope Christmas looks up for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending