University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Mathematics at UCL

Anyone got offers for maths?
If so, what grades did they want?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, A*A in maths/further maths and an A in either physics or computing. At the open day, the admissions bloke mentioned that part of the offer was a pass in a further AS subject and to attend a visiting day as well, mind.

Hmmmm, I'll probably end up firming UCL. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Which course did you apply for, and what were your predicted grades, if you dont mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 3
No problem. :smile: G100 and A*A*A*AA; the A*s in maths, further maths and computing, and the As in physics and general studies.

I'm guessing you've applied as well?
Reply 4
Original post by Zuzuzu
No problem. :smile: G100 and A*A*A*AA; the A*s in maths, further maths and computing, and the As in physics and general studies.

I'm guessing you've applied as well?

Oh god, I feel like a complete failure now, compared to your grades mine are nothing :tongue:

And yes, I applied too :smile: Not too sure about being accepted now, if your grades are the sort I'm applying against!
Anyone got offers for maths?
If so, what grades did they want?

I got an offer too. UCL will probably be my insurance option if Cambridge doesn't go to plan.
I got asked for AA in Further maths and either Geography or Physics.
Reply 6
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I got an offer too. UCL will probably be my insurance option if Cambridge doesn't go to plan.
I got asked for AA in Further maths and either Geography or Physics.

When did you send your application, if you dont mind me asking? :smile:
When did you send your application, if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

October 14th. Yourself?
Reply 8
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
October 14th. Yourself?

Late november :frown: Do you by any chance know what the A level equivalent of AA is?
Late november :frown: Do you by any chance know what the A level equivalent of AA is?

That is the A-Level equivalent. :p:
I'm doing A-Levels.
Reply 10
Wow, I feel very stupid right now :tongue:

They didnt ask for A*'s?
Wow, I feel very stupid right now :tongue:

They didnt ask for A*'s?

Well, technically they did but I've already got an A* in maths from year 12 so that isn't a problem. :h:
What UMS did you achieve in each maths and further maths AS modules?
Apparently those count for a lot.
Reply 12
Further maths too? They didnt ask for my further maths grades.
What UMS are they looking for?
Further maths too? They didnt ask for my further maths grades.
What UMS are they looking for?

They did ask for the marks from ALL of your maths modules so I'd assume that would also include Fmaths. I think they would be expecting the marks of at least 6 modules (representing the two ASes) or in my case, the maths A-Level (I hadn't completed any further maths modules before applying so I just gave my results from C1-4, M1, S1) and mentioned that I'm doing Fmaths in my UCAS.

Well, my UMS averages out to around 92% across the 6 modules and that was enough to get me an offer. Not sure what's the minimum they consider acceptable but I don't expect it to be too much lower than 90%.
Reply 14
I have an offer of A*AA for maths. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by kerily
I have an offer of A*AA for maths. :smile:

Congrats, and I see from your sig we have 4/5 of the same ucas choices. Any thoughts about your firm/insurance yet?
Reply 16
Original post by Zuzuzu
Congrats, and I see from your sig we have 4/5 of the same ucas choices. Any thoughts about your firm/insurance yet?

Cambridge is going to be my firm, obviously :biggrin: (Congrats on your offer, btw! My friend was interviewed at Sidney Sussex, and she didn't get an offer, but she said everyone applying there seemed lovely.) Depending on what Durham say (whether they want STEP or not) either Durham or UCL will be my insurance; I'd rather be in London, and A*AA is fine and achieveable, but Durham has a year abroad... How about yourself?
Reply 17
Original post by kerily
Cambridge is going to be my firm, obviously :biggrin: (Congrats on your offer, btw! My friend was interviewed at Sidney Sussex, and she didn't get an offer, but she said everyone applying there seemed lovely.) Depending on what Durham say (whether they want STEP or not) either Durham or UCL will be my insurance; I'd rather be in London, and A*AA is fine and achieveable, but Durham has a year abroad... How about yourself?

Thanks! And yeah, Cambridge is obviously going to be my firm as well; whether I meet the STEP conditions is a totally different matter, though. Aside from Cambridge, I'd really like to go to a city for university (well, Cambridge is a city as well, but you know what I mean), so that eliminates Durham, not that I was expecting an offer anyway as they're apparently so anal about GCSEs. Imperial's standard offer is just too high for an insurance university :tongue:, and of UCL and Manchester, I prefer UCL, so it's gonna be UCL. I'm not diving into it, though, and confirming anything on UCAS, just in case Imperial miraculously decide to give me a no-STEP, one A* offer - but being realistic the chances of that are negligible.

Oh, congrats on your Cambridge offer as well!

EDIT: Durham's a city as well :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Zuzuzu
Thanks! And yeah, Cambridge is obviously going to be my firm as well; whether I meet the STEP conditions is a totally different matter, though. Aside from Cambridge, I'd really like to go to a city for university (well, Cambridge is a city as well, but you know what I mean), so that eliminates Durham, not that I was expecting an offer anyway as they're apparently so anal about GCSEs. Imperial's standard offer is just too high for an insurance university :tongue:, and of UCL and Manchester, I prefer UCL, so it's gonna be UCL. I'm not diving into it, though, and confirming anything on UCAS, just in case Imperial miraculously decide to give me a no-STEP, one A* offer - but being realistic the chances of that are negligible.

Oh, congrats on your Cambridge offer as well!

EDIT: Durham's a city as well :rolleyes:

Same here. I am kind of anticipating an offer from Durham (I know that that sounds horrendously arrogant, but my GCSEs are solid and I know they value GCSEs) but I don't really want to go somewhere that's in the middle of nowhere with no nightlife or anything. I live somewhere like that already, and I'd like a change. Plus, UCL is in Camden, and its halls are in Camden Town! I mean, YES.

If my offer from ICL didn't have STEP in it, I'd be thinking about insurancing them; I'll have both my maths and further maths final grade by March, so if I got A* in both of them, I'd insurance ICL if they didn't want STEP. But they do. And I want to leave my options open STEP-wise, so I can totally fail it and still go to uni; I can't afford/justify the fees from next year plus, so I either go this year or I don't go at all, really. But I'll be leaving my choice through UCAS until I have my maths and further maths result from this exam session, just in case (although I'm ****ed if I don't get A*AA anyway).

We have peculiarly similar taste in universities :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by kerily
Same here. I am kind of anticipating an offer from Durham (I know that that sounds horrendously arrogant, but my GCSEs are solid and I know they value GCSEs) but I don't really want to go somewhere that's in the middle of nowhere with no nightlife or anything. I live somewhere like that already, and I'd like a change. Plus, UCL is in Camden, and its halls are in Camden Town! I mean, YES.

If my offer from ICL didn't have STEP in it, I'd be thinking about insurancing them; I'll have both my maths and further maths final grade by March, so if I got A* in both of them, I'd insurance ICL if they didn't want STEP. But they do. And I want to leave my options open STEP-wise, so I can totally fail it and still go to uni; I can't afford/justify the fees from next year plus, so I either go this year or I don't go at all, really. But I'll be leaving my choice through UCAS until I have my maths and further maths result from this exam session, just in case (although I'm ****ed if I don't get A*AA anyway).

We have peculiarly similar taste in universities :wink:

Snap, I live in a similarly as **** town, and I know it's a common, maybe even clichéd, thing to say but I actually can't wait to move away for university. Of UCL and Imperial, I get the distinct feeling that UCL is the more, for want of a better word, 'fun' place to be and Imperial the more studious, academically focussed uni - and whilst sharing a similar reputation with employers, despite Imperial having the better reputation for maths, if I had two unconditionals from them, I think I'd go for UCL. Ah well, if Cambridge doesn't work out, UCL and London are both brilliant places to spend three years at/in. :biggrin:

Taking all of my maths modules this January was my original plan to free up timetable space for STEP and AEA preparation.. but yeah, that didn't happen how I would've liked - I have 4 modules in Summer now. Btw, how long do you reckon it would take to self-teach Core 4? It's pretty much crucial that that's nailed before any serious STEP work begins. Anyway, I'm not worrying about my maths and further maths grades for my offers too much, should be A*A* it's just the final A that will ever be in any real doubt - but even then I'd need to get low/middling Bs in my A2 modules to drop down a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending