The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have any other freshers had to pick SSC/SSM (student selected components etc) yet?
If so, what have you gone for :smile: ?
Original post by Syncope
Ahh the diabetes scenario. I take it, then, that it's no better organised now than it was when I did it - what, 3 years ago? Good to know they listened to all our complaints about it :rolleyes:

Pretty much, total shambles. The guy running it himself was excellent, very enthusiastic, just everything else was a shambles. I'd probably say the fertility one was worse though, a couple of those lectures ended up being taught in the head and neck scenario.
Original post by JordanCarroll

Have any other freshers had to pick SSC/SSM (student selected components etc) yet?
If so, what have you gone for :smile: ?

Yeah, I had to pick my first one ages ago (presenting it at the end of January) I chose physiology to get a "science" one out the way whilst it's formative :teehee: So I'm currently working my way through research papers, trying to understand the effect that heat stroke has on the heart :sigh: Really wishing I chose the law one all about the coroner and death certificates now..... I have another one of these next module as well :huff:

Although ours are called SSS :wink:
Could you update me to 2nd year someone?
Original post by crazylemon

That stuff is really interesting. Though the coroner who taught us upset alot of people by haven rather gruesome pictures for all the situations where a coroner is needed.

I loved the wicked sense of humour, but half of the lecture theatre was open mouthed with horror while I laughed...

I know, we covered it for week 9 of our PBL (Death) and it seems straight forward as well. I'm actually quite liking all the legal side of medicine, which is weird cause I went into it very anti-law. (I'm not wanting to do a law degree though :p:)

I have seriously thought about it. Though partly as a way to not have a job for another year...

This is why I have thought of doing a Phd too :p:

Could you really intercalate and do a law degree in a year!? That would be intense :eek: I would like to intercalate, but I'd want to stay at my uni and not have the hassle of moving. Only problem is, the two degrees they offer I don't particularly like :sigh:

(And I couldn't do a law intercalation - I went to the same uni as my brother, I couldn't do the same degree as well :teehee:)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yeah, I had to pick my first one ages ago (presenting it at the end of January) I chose physiology to get a "science" one out the way whilst it's formative :teehee: So I'm currently working my way through research papers, trying to understand the effect that heat stroke has on the heart :sigh: Really wishing I chose the law one all about the coroner and death certificates now..... I have another one of these next module as well :huff:

Although ours are called SSS :wink:

Am i wrong in assuming you have to do it alongside your normal schedule? Our SSCs are set out in two week blocks, twice next year.
Do you get support with it or are you briefed/given objectives, and have to crack on?

Formative ftw :p: hmm, reading through loads of research papers doesn't sound too tantalising :/ will you do a poster/ppt in jan then?

SSC/SSM/SSS :teehee:

Am i wrong in assuming you have to do it alongside your normal schedule? Our SSCs are set out in two week blocks, twice next year.
Do you get support with it or are you briefed/given objectives, and have to crack on?

Formative ftw :p: hmm, reading through loads of research papers doesn't sound too tantalising :/ will you do a poster/ppt in jan then?

SSC/SSM/SSS :teehee:

Yup, we do it alongside PBL along with logbooks, portfolio essays and analytical reviews :sigh: And I've left most of those to the last minute so am now trying to get as much done as possible before I go back :rolleyes: We get given a title (mine was discuss physiological changes of temperature regulation with respect to heatstroke) and we have one meeting with our SSS domain lead. In that meeting I narrowed down my topic (specifically to the heart) and was given a start on researching the topic. Apart from that we're kind of left on our own, although I have a nice domain lead who said I can email her anytime :p:

Yeah, half the words in it I don't even understand, and I left my medical dictionary at uni (although I'm concentrating on AR atm anyway) and we have to do ppt apart from one in year 3 that's a poster. And then for one of them we also have to write an "abstract" and then in year 4 you have to present a medical case I think. I think we end up doing about 8 of them over the 5 years.

Oh and we get given topics for the 3 or 4 SSS we do in years one and two, and in year 3 we have to choose our own. And in year 3 and 4 we also have SOM as well.......
(edited 13 years ago)
Yup, we do it alongside PBL along with logbooks, portfolio essays and analytical reviews :sigh: And I've left most of those to the last minute so am now trying to get as much done as possible before I go back :rolleyes: We get given a title (mine was discuss physiological changes of temperature regulation with respect to heatstroke) and we have one meeting with our SSS domain lead. In that meeting I narrowed down my topic (specifically to the heart) and was given a start on researching the topic. Apart from that we're kind of left on our own, although I have a nice domain lead who said I can email her anytime :p:

Yeah, half the words in it I don't even understand, and I left my medical dictionary at uni (although I'm concentrating on AR atm anyway) and we have to do ppt apart from one in year 3 that's a poster. And then for one of them we also have to write an "abstract" and then in year 4 you have to present a medical case I think. I think we end up doing about 8 of them over the 5 years.

Oh and we get given topics for the 3 or 4 SSS we do in years one and two, and in year 3 we have to choose our own. And in year 3 and 4 we also have SOM as well.......

Wow, it sounds very independent, and there seems to be a lot of them :eek3: good luck! I have a feeling that the SSCs here are more like courses, so would involved more guidance. Although time will tell, i'll get back to you on how nice my tutor is next year..

what's AR? Atrial ribrillation :colondollar:?

Wow, it sounds very independent, and there seems to be a lot of them :eek3: good luck! I have a feeling that the SSCs here are more like courses, so would involved more guidance. Although time will tell, i'll get back to you on how nice my tutor is next year..

what's AR? Atrial ribrillation :colondollar:?

Nah, that sounds fun! It's Analytical Review :rolleyes: We get given a research paper (I think every module up until 4th year where we plan our own study) and get given questions on it to guide our review of it. It's not fun. The one I'm working on atm is about disability one year on after head injury. And yeah it started off all nice with just PBL to worry about, and then they piled all of these on us :p: But I do enjoy it, and that's the main thing :smile:
I've updated it for everyone that's posted already. And are you back now!? Why do you have placement?

I've actually done some analytical review work :proud:

Yo, I'm a fourth year too.
Original post by digitalis

How's Dawson sir :h:
Nah, that sounds fun! It's Analytical Review :rolleyes: We get given a research paper (I think every module up until 4th year where we plan our own study) and get given questions on it to guide our review of it. It's not fun. The one I'm working on atm is about disability one year on after head injury. And yeah it started off all nice with just PBL to worry about, and then they piled all of these on us :p: But I do enjoy it, and that's the main thing :smile:

Ahhh! okay :p:
How's Dawson sir :h:

Lameeeee, I wanted to go on a self-bender tonight but Tesco has closed :frown:

Done :smile:
Lameeeee, I wanted to go on a self-bender tonight but Tesco has closed :frown:

Ahh man :/ if beer hasn't been bought by 11 you might as well just go to sleep :p:

Does stewardhood require your early presence?
Hey, just joined the society so for when I'm on the list I'm a 5th Year at Imperial.

I'm currently waiting for someone to hand my dream elective to me on a plate, this tactic doesn't seem to be working though :frown: so I'm now worrying I've missed the boat - I'm supposed to go in July!
I havent done that yet. I have warned one of them they will probably be drawn on come limb anatomy.

A fourth year medic couldn't feel the apex beat of one of my flatmates. This was slightly concerning.

There are plenty of people around with unpalpable apex beats!
Original post by Bubble Toes
Hey, just joined the society so for when I'm on the list I'm a 5th Year at Imperial.

I'm currently waiting for someone to hand my dream elective to me on a plate, this tactic doesn't seem to be working though :frown: so I'm now worrying I've missed the boat - I'm supposed to go in July!

http://www.butlins.com/

:teehee:

(seriously though hope you find something soon :smile: )
http://www.butlins.com/

:teehee:

(seriously though hope you find something soon :smile: )

:eek: That has just provided me with all the motivation I need to put some effort into finding an elective place :tongue:

... tomorrow, maybe.

Latest

Trending

Trending