The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxford, should I reapply?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You have an incredible offer from Imperial, I would go there and you are still stuck up about the oxbridge thing could you do a masters or even a second undergraduate degree there?

Congrats though
Original post by SPMS
You have an incredible offer from Imperial, I would go there and you are still stuck up about the oxbridge thing could you do a masters or even a second undergraduate degree there?

Congrats though

People become attached to Oxbridge in a way that doesn't happen with other universities. Heck, I just went to Cambridge one day for a college trip and became attached. Goodness knows how actual applicants seriously aiming to go there feel.
Original post by CJB28x
Is this possible?
I am also considering reapplying to Oxford after I completely fluffed my interview as I feel I am capable of much more than the interviewers got to see.
If I did for example take up an offer at York, would I be able to reapply on UCAS without telling York? or would I have to do it through the university that I am studying at?

You can do an independent application. I'm currently at Royal Holloway and am in the process of sending off an application for 5 better universities, and RH are none the wiser :wink:
Reply 23
In my opinion there is no point in wasting a year of your life because let's face it by the sounds of it you don't seem to have any real plans for your gap year other than just re-applying, so it will for all intents and purpose be a wasted year if you don't plan to do much productive with it. You must also consider the fee rise. Is it worth paying three times as much when you may end up with the same outcome anyway.

Besides I hardly think Imperial and UCL are bad universities when it comes to the sciences, and I don't think they in any way lack prestiege. However if you really do have your heart set on going to oxford at some point I'd suggest just going ahead and doing your degree it one of your other choices, and then apply to oxford for a postgraduate degree.

Seriously though getting into oxbridge is not the be all and end all. If you go to imperiel/ucl or any of your other offers to be honest your life will turn out fine. Do not listen to the people on tsr who seem to think that if you don't get into oxbridge you are doomed not to succeed in life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Retrodiction
People become attached to Oxbridge in a way that doesn't happen with other universities. Heck, I just went to Cambridge one day for a college trip and became attached. Goodness knows how actual applicants seriously aiming to go there feel.

I'm sure the OP will find this helpful
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RupertTheBear
I'm sure the OP will find this helpful :yy:

Maybe, I'm not sure. I'm personally in favour of the idea of going to Imperial and simultaneously putting in applications for Oxford, Harvard etc whilst there.
Reply 26
I am in a similiar situation, and I would personally say spend a year doing something USEFUL, concentrate on grades just now and try and get in. But, I may be slightly biased...so the smart thing to do is ask for feedback, some of your flaws may be correctable. If the negatives are improvable and you still have your heart set on Oxford, do some research into if the university will negatively bias your second application.

The only differences between me and you is that I was too young to apply to the London univerisities, not only do I want to reapply to Cambridge, I want to apply to universities I want to go to. I'm sure its not for the prestige of Oxford, if you feel it was right and it is possible for you to get in and that outweighs the part of you telling you to go to Imperial or UCL then just do it.

It is ultimately about how you feel, not what everyone else decides is logical.
Original post by AlexB1001
I applied for Biological Sciences at Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I was recently rejected from Oxford (after what I thought was a very strong interview) but got in everywhere else. My first choice would be either UCL or Imperial.

My question is, I quite desperately wanted to go to Oxford, and I felt I was very close to getting it (maybe I wasn't, but I get that impression).

So my idea was this - take a gap year, and take the American SATS, and apply to Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Imperial and UCL. My questions are these:

1) Seeing that I've already got into Imperial and UCL, will taking a year off and reapplying to them reduce my chances (as in they think 'we can't trust him to come' so they reject me)?

2) Can I apply to both Harvard and Yale? With 10 A*s at GCSE and four As at AS-level, I think my current grades should be a start. I'm aiming for 2-4 A*s for A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English), and the rest As.

3) Does Oxford take into account the fact you've reapplied? I've heard countless stories of people reapplying to Oxford/Cambridge and getting in, but that's no evidence to go on...

Should this be something I do? The way I see it, reapplying to UCL and Imperial will put me in the same position I am now (should I get in); reapplying to Oxford gives me another shot at the university I really want to go to; and since I'm of American descent, the prestige of Harvard/Yale would be equivalent to Oxford for me.

Don't forget fees will probably rise in 2012
Reply 28
You can do an independent application. I'm currently at Royal Holloway and am in the process of sending off an application for 5 better universities, and RH are none the wiser :wink:

Is this independent of RH or UCAS? And do you have to declare that your doing a degree / won't the other unis contact RH to see how your doing?
Maybe, I'm not sure. I'm personally in favour of the idea of going to Imperial and simultaneously putting in applications for Oxford, Harvard etc whilst there.

That was my poor attempt at sarcasm, I'm sure you meant well but maybe telling someone who just got rejected from Oxford how great it is is not the best idea...
Just out of curiosity: Is it possible to firm say Imperial and than reapply to Oxbridge? If successful, one could drop out from Imperial and join Oxford (starting the course anew, since no transfers are allowed). If not, one could continue his degree at Imperial, without a gap year.
Also, would Oxbridge have any bias to such applicants?
(edited 13 years ago)
Imperial is an excellent university for science. You should go there and then apply for a post-grad when you finish.
Reply 32
I applied for Biological Sciences at Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I was recently rejected from Oxford (after what I thought was a very strong interview) but got in everywhere else. My first choice would be either UCL or Imperial.

My question is, I quite desperately wanted to go to Oxford, and I felt I was very close to getting it (maybe I wasn't, but I get that impression).

So my idea was this - take a gap year, and take the American SATS, and apply to Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Imperial and UCL. My questions are these:

1) Seeing that I've already got into Imperial and UCL, will taking a year off and reapplying to them reduce my chances (as in they think 'we can't trust him to come' so they reject me)?

2) Can I apply to both Harvard and Yale? With 10 A*s at GCSE and four As at AS-level, I think my current grades should be a start. I'm aiming for 2-4 A*s for A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English), and the rest As.

3) Does Oxford take into account the fact you've reapplied? I've heard countless stories of people reapplying to Oxford/Cambridge and getting in, but that's no evidence to go on...

Should this be something I do? The way I see it, reapplying to UCL and Imperial will put me in the same position I am now (should I get in); reapplying to Oxford gives me another shot at the university I really want to go to; and since I'm of American descent, the prestige of Harvard/Yale would be equivalent to Oxford for me.

If Oxford don't want you honestly f*&* them. There are just as good universities in the UK to go to and reapplying next year with JUST SAT's extra isn't going to get you in.

Waste of a year of your life.

Bear in mind if you reapply, you are not guaranteed to get in, so what would you do then?

Tbh, I would personally accept one of your other offers and go there for postgrad.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Is this independent of RH or UCAS? And do you have to declare that your doing a degree / won't the other unis contact RH to see how your doing?

It's a UCAS application independent of RH. Not sure where your reference would come from... perhaps you could use your reference from sixth-form?
That was my poor attempt at sarcasm, I'm sure you meant well but maybe telling someone who just got rejected from Oxford how great it is is not the best idea...

I was making that claim alongside supporting the suggestion of going to Imperial and reapplying to Oxford from there. Nothing can be lost. I wasn't being completely useless and heartless, haha.
Reply 36
Original post by SPMS

Congrats though

I've decided it's extremely pointless to do that, and realised that I'm happier to stay in London (who says Oxford is even better than UCL/Imperial for Science?)

Very true, you get completely attached. Having said that, London as an alternative (I already live here so I know where the good places are) is a place to get attached to as well.

I'm sure the OP will find this helpful

Haha :biggrin: I don't mind it though, it's true frankly

Original post by chrislpp
If Oxford don't want you honestly f*&* them. There are just as good universities in the UK to go to and reapplying next year with JUST SAT's extra isn't going to get you in.

Waste of a year of your life.

I once again agree, I've totally changed my mind since I wrote this.

Imperial 1st, then Harvard/Yale Law School. BRING IT ON, WORLD!
why not? take a year out and reapply. you get a gap year and another go at the whole personal statement/interview crap, as well as the chances at US unis.

go 4 it.
Reply 38
I've decided it's extremely pointless to do that, and realised that I'm happier to stay in London (who says Oxford is even better than UCL/Imperial for Science?)

Very true, you get completely attached. Having said that, London as an alternative (I already live here so I know where the good places are) is a place to get attached to as well.

Haha :biggrin: I don't mind it though, it's true frankly

I once again agree, I've totally changed my mind since I wrote this.

Imperial 1st, then Harvard/Yale Law School. BRING IT ON, WORLD!

Awesome!
I was rejected from Oxford, I still think they made a stupid decision, but I got an offer from Imperial (on the same day as I received my Oxford rejection). Imperial is a world class university located in one of the best cities in the world, also I prefer the course in Imperial so I am not too disappointed about my rejection now. At the end of the day getting rejected from Oxford/Cambridge doesn't mean you are less than those who got accepted. Now its best to concentrate on meeting your offer, good luck.
Original post by CJB28x
Is this possible?
I am also considering reapplying to Oxford after I completely fluffed my interview as I feel I am capable of much more than the interviewers got to see.
If I did for example take up an offer at York, would I be able to reapply on UCAS without telling York? or would I have to do it through the university that I am studying at?

I met a guy at interview in December who was currently studying at Imperial, the fact that he was at Imperial while applying to Oxford came out during his interview and apparently the interviewers were really annoyed and said they couldn't consider his application any further.. He told me he was maybe ganna get an interview at another college but it didn't look promising

However i'm not really sure whether or not it he had made it clear before interview that he was already at Imperial, so you really need to check before you risk applying and losing places at both Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending