The Student Room Group

Ocr f215: 27/1/11

Scroll to see replies

In the flight and response question I explained the process and gave multiple examples of the variety of muscles and how they are stimulated and their actions (pupil dilation...) etc. controlled by nerve and hormone system etc. so that will get me the marks, but just out of curiosity; did it want the process and while your doing it state the different muscles stimulated or did it just want an explanation of the different types of muscles involved in the system?
(edited 13 years ago)
that question took me 5 minutes to understand i wrote 3 types of muscle and where they are located,

however what did people write about the location of skeletal muscle in neck- rib something i just put shoulder muscle???

btw how did everyone revise for this module because there was so much to revise and did anyone do past papers because i never do past papers for biology
Original post by ibysaiyan
LOL this time there was not a sign of genetics :P
How did yours go ?

I did find it quite difficult and it was a retake- I need 72 UMS for the A overall so it's gonna be close. The sort of paper where textbook knowledge really isn't that important and I was shocked to see no genetics. Also I drew a blank for the second essay question....was hoping for one on the galapagos islands or 'how do you sequence the genome?' but it's OCR so they're gonna make them tricky.
Original post by undertaker1
that question took me 5 minutes to understand i wrote 3 types of muscle and where they are located,

however what did people write about the location of skeletal muscle in neck- rib something i just put shoulder muscle???

btw how did everyone revise for this module because there was so much to revise and did anyone do past papers because i never do past papers for biology

For skeletal muscle I just put attached to the rib cage lol

I literally put rib cage for skeletal and cardiac muscle. I put involunatery for neck.
Original post by kbountra
I did find it quite difficult and it was a retake- I need 72 UMS for the A overall so it's gonna be close. The sort of paper where textbook knowledge really isn't that important and I was shocked to see no genetics. Also I drew a blank for the second essay question....was hoping for one on the galapagos islands or 'how do you sequence the genome?' but it's OCR so they're gonna make them tricky.

Can I have some revision tips for F211 and F214 going to have a crack at them in June :smile:
Original post by Summerdays
I literally put rib cage for skeletal and cardiac muscle. I put involunatery for neck.

I put diaphragm xD
ah darrn did it ask for location!!! crap arrgh lol :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mathsclown
I put diaphragm xD
ah darrn did it ask for location!!! crap arrgh lol :/

I put voluntary diaphragm, cardiac heart and involuntary capillarys in the lungs .... i think ...
Yep, those are correct. I literally culdn't think of anything :frown:
Original post by SwordStream
I put voluntary diaphragm, cardiac heart and involuntary capillarys in the lungs .... i think ...

AHhh that question, which question asked for location? my memory is dead
Ehmm I put diaphragm, heart and I cant remember think i put esophagus was crossing stuff out cant remember what i was left with
Can I have some revision tips for F211 and F214 going to have a crack at them in June :smile:

Sure- I found that F211 was a paper for which the textbook was actually v. useful. They don't really try to catch you out- as long as you have a sound knowledge (i.e memorise the content) you'll be fine. F214 similarly is one that just requires alot of learning....basically I just did two big posters with everything on respiration and photosynthesis which really helped. I also found it useful to think of different ways that pathways can be inhibited.
Original post by kbountra
Sure- I found that F211 was a paper for which the textbook was actually v. useful. They don't really try to catch you out- as long as you have a sound knowledge (i.e memorise the content) you'll be fine. F214 similarly is one that just requires alot of learning....basically I just did two big posters with everything on respiration and photosynthesis which really helped. I also found it useful to think of different ways that pathways can be inhibited.

Thanks a ton, im going to do what i didnt do with this unit, start revision early :smile:
Reply 292
Original post by Summerdays

For cardiac I said heart.I think the question said suggest where xyz are located.For voluntary I saud pectoral muscle though I wrote pec. and involuntary I said Lungs.
Though diaphragm would have been more suitable.I hope they don't pick on it. :/
Reply 293
Original post by ash_federali2
Sorry to kind of interrupt...but what "selected cows" curve are you referring to...did I miss something?

Cows chosen for the next generation in artificial selection,first question 2nd part.
Reply 294
In the flight and response question I explained the process and gave multiple examples of the variety of muscles and how they are stimulated and their actions (pupil dilation...) etc. controlled by nerve and hormone system etc. so that will get me the marks, but just out of curiosity; did it want the process and while your doing it state the different muscles stimulated or did it just want an explanation of the different types of muscles involved in the system?

They wanted to know about the three muscle types and how are they affected by endocrine and nervous system.I went on to explain bit by bit... like I spoke of the use of somatic system for skeletal muscles (legs for fleet lol ) and.. association areas and so on..also the smooth muscle being constricted as for the cardiac muscle I spoke of adrenaline and impulses coming to the SAN from sympathetic system.Man I kept on missing 'h' while I was writing sympathetic.So I had to scribble numerous times. lol
Reply 295

I need like 90% in this paper to get me an A. So I am really hoping to make it.In case I don't then I will have to sit either f211 or 212.I utmost hate f212 not that it's harder but that I have always been unlucky.Last mark was 107/150 a B. Ugly
My final answer on the location of muscles was:
Cardiac: Name says it all : Heart
Voluntary: Pec Muscle (pectoral in the chest) couldn't think of any other.
Involuntary: I just wrote lungs. I mean you do get smooth muscles there.
By the way what did you all say for the most suitable organism for humans to have more biomass? I said fish since it's has most biomass conversion (in the fig) and that it's a tertirary consumer.I also said that most part of it's are edible other than the bones unlike plants where we don't often have enzymes for.It was four marks so hopefully this is what they wanted to know.

There also was another question which I can barely recall about cows energy level?and one on the energy differences.. I said that wavelength of lights vary in all the regions and that grasslands have less capcity to absorb sun compare to tropical forest with greater size of leaves.Also I spoke of woodlands where larger trees occupy most sunlight as a result of which not much light goes to the sub- ground species (makes sense) and that woodland habitat consists of less photosynthetic parts.
This paper was too much on energy.

The brain question was only 3 marks worth.I can't recall what parts we had to label but I think i got it right.For the second last question where it askd to write the term described for substances which allow cell co-ordination in plants I wrote: Plant growth substances/plant growth regulators.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 296

I didn't get the time to do past papers...
Original post by ibysaiyan
I put EXACTLY SAME AS YOU.. s hopefully I will get mark.I was bit worried about that too.. :P but yea.. i remembered that since nitrogen is used in the making of quorn same should apply here.
For the comparison I tbh couldn't make much sense of it but I wrote down about pcr first saying how it increases genetic material DNA,and about the enzyme working at high temp. so much stable and so on.. for the vivo thing I put obvious stuff

yep, I agree, in the lag phase they need to synthesis new enzyme if they dont use lactose as a resp, sub.
Original post by SwordStream
Ahhh I failed to say ammonia was used as a nitrogen source. I think I only scrapped 2 or 3 marks on the PCR :frown: rest seemed ok though

dont worry mate, if the grade boundaries are anything like last time and youve done alright in the rest, it should all balance out, but only resit people are probably taking this paper, well mostly anyway and Im worried theyll push the boundaries up
Compared to the june 2010 paper, would you say it was harder or easier, or the same difficulty?

I reckon in terms of difficulty it was probably about the same, it was def more vague and consequently required you to think more about exactly what they wanted
after reading all these comments i have made loads of mistakes which seemed correct at the time the paper was easier than junei reckon grade boundaries will come down as not everyone was taking this paper as a retake anyone got any tips for f212 and f214 btw how many past papers did everyone do because i find past papers useless for ocr biology
Reply 299
after reading all these comments i have made loads of mistakes which seemed correct at the time the paper was easier than junei reckon grade boundaries will come down as not everyone was taking this paper as a retake anyone got any tips for f212 and f214 btw how many past papers did everyone do because i find past papers useless for ocr biology

For f215 I did zero past papers.As for f214 I did quite few and ended up 95% though doing past papers only isn't enough.
Get all the details from the book first then try past papers. =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending