The Student Room Group

Living Costs Imperial College of London

how much will i need to live as a student at Imperial College Business School, MSc Finance.

The site says £13,000 but that seems ALOT.

Will i really need tospend 250 pounds a week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
I'm following you everywhere you go :smile: You including living expenses in that?
If I go to Imperial. I think ill stay at those Griffon Studios, which is £235 a week :s-smilie:. I think students can spend as much or as little as they like, but in London, the average is always going to be higher. Thats the massive, MASSIVE, downside of Imperial. They charge the most to be in one of the most expensive cities in the world. For me, if I go to imperial, it will be about £400 a week, including accomodation, AHHHHH.

On a slightly different note. Do you have to pay a deposit for Imperial, cos I havent been told I have too yet?
Same with any university in London...as expensive or as cheap as you like. If you are willing to commute a bit you can find private accommodation for a fraction of the price of what Peaches182 quoted. That is a crazy price to live in London. I lived in London for 20 years. When I went to university (in London) the most I paid for rent was 100 GBP a week!
Reply 4
it's not so much if your a cheapskate like me. My salary will barely cover tuition so I don't want financial problems. I am seriously thinking of firming Imperial heard too many good thigns about it from people in the industry. I don't know about the deposit, i haven't accepted the offer yet.

13,000 is WITHOUT the accomadation :frown: Your 400 a week = 20800 a year!!!! so amsters will cost you 48,300.....
Reply 5
When I was doing an MSc at Imperial in 2007-08 my monthly costs were as follows:

- accommodation £400
- transport £60
- food and other expenses £250-300

It was quite tough but I was still able to go out occasionally and have some fun. I presume the costs have not increased dramatically and the 13K they mention is way too high.
Reply 6
But where you was living ?
Do you have any tip for accomodations, I will probably stay at Griffon studios which seem to be the closer to Imperial...My great concern is to be close to the university ..I don't care about money (Of course up to a certain amount..let's say 400 per week for accomodation) ...I hate taking bus or tube every day..I prefer walking so a 10-15min walk will be perfect for me..What do you advice me...
i'm bargaining with my parents but for me the perfect amount for living costs is 3000 per month = 36 000 for the year..I hope that it will be enough
Plus 27500 for the Msc fees (I don't know if you know but they charge you 4 % of interest if you pay it in 2 installments...they are the most expensive msc finance in uk and in addition they charge you 4 % of interest ouf)

63500 per year (100.000 $ for the year ouf)...it will be really tough for the parents but i hope that the Msc finance at Imperial college will be a good investment..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
i wnat to be close to a library, a gym, lecture halls. But i want it to be cheap....
400 a week? that's loads! I've applied to soas and accom there is like 120 a week.
But to the OP, as a fellow london-applicant, finance is on my mind too! lets hope its not as bad as everyone says!
Reply 9
I attended Queen Mary, University of London and my living costs were about £150-170 per week (about £8000 per year). Attending a uni in central London means you either have to pay more for accommodation or more for travel (which can get pricey in London). You can easily get by with less than £10000 a year, but that might mean making serious cutbacks to your lifestyle.

My advice is to avoid the university accommodation because the central London unis are notorious for charging high prices.

As to Borisvian I think that it is obscene to ask £36000 from your parents for living costs. What exactly are you planning to spend so much money on?
Reply 10
My friends said me that's london is outrageously expensive and even more than New-York...as i have an idea about NY I used it as a basis...But actually, i have no idea about the living costs in London...That's why i'm waiting for the feedbacks here...You know sometimes friends inflate all the numbers...Does anyone has in mind a good website where we could look for apprtments...(Thanks in advance)
I'm little bit reassured by the comments above...
Reply 11
Borisvian that is crazy. Right now I am in london, not a student but working and living near Canary wharf. Rent=12,000 PA. Food = free. So I don't really know how much things will cost, but i budgeted out with Imperials crazy spending fees to be at 41701. I will try for 38000 tbh.

like 4k accomdation, 27.5k fees = 31750

travelling 1000

food 5250 ( i eat like a pig.... )

you are crazy to spend 63500 on masters, you will have to spend that much again when you do MBA.
Reply 12
http://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/residences/Public/Rents%20for%20Web%20PGs%202010.pdf

WTF borisivian i just figured out your paying £400 a week. Living IN the canary wharf costs me 12000 a year. You are thinking of paying 20,800......

I have included the link of accomodation prices. I still haven't decided to go to imperial lol
Reply 13
as i said, actually i no IDEA about living in London..I hope that it will cost me less....BTW thanks for those useful advices
Reply 14
are you 100% firming MSc finance now at imperial?
Reply 15
YES....I definitely dropped Warwick and LSE (accounting, organisations and institutions)...IMPERIAL....That will be my last word lol
Live in the suburbs if you want to save on costs :smile:.
Original post by Ineedaplace
it's not so much if your a cheapskate like me. My salary will barely cover tuition so I don't want financial problems. I am seriously thinking of firming Imperial heard too many good thigns about it from people in the industry. I don't know about the deposit, i haven't accepted the offer yet.

13,000 is WITHOUT the accomadation :frown: Your 400 a week = 20800 a year!!!! so amsters will cost you 48,300.....

I'm just wondering. I dont really understand how you havent accepted your offer yet?? You told me that you recieved your offer from Imperial very soon after you've applied, and with that time frame, your 28 days to accept the offer must have expired over a month ago. Were you given some kind of special case that no one knows about :rolleyes: it just makes me wonder about the validity of your claims
63500 on a masters is a very stupid number. If people are as extravagant as me :s-smilie:, I think you’re looking at 45-50k absolute tops. If your willing to commute, I think you could get it down to 35-40k without too much compromise. My main need it to spend as much time at the campus/library (probably like most) like i did in my third year, so I'll possibly be for that more than anything.
As prospectivEEconomics said, living further out in the suburbs thats got a good commuters route will help massively
Reply 19
I am thinking of firming Msc finance in Imperial. The syllabus looks amazing. I wnat to live near in order of preference:

Library with wifi

Gym

Lecture halls

Supermarket.

But i only wnat to spend 4000 on accomdation....

Peaches you taking the warwick shcolarship? or you goin imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending