The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Svenjamin
It's worth a try. I applied when I was in final year and got to interview stage, so it is possible (unless something has drastically changed since this new change). They obviously look at 2nd year results and you have to go that extra mile to prove you're capable though.

Thanks :smile: I have already applied to two places There's only one other place that I can really apply to.

Were you successful then? What did you apply for? If not did you apply again?
Reply 1301
Original post by fairycluff
Cheers for that, I've also given Oxford an email, maybe if more than one of us does it then they may realise that they need to respond! That one is more annoying as the other Oxford Radcliffe places are up! maybe they hit the wrong button or something! Thats a relief about the London one though, once you've done your supporting information the job appplication is relatively simple! Are you going to the open day in Northampton? Just checked train times and I'll have to leave here (I'm in Aberystwyth) at 7.30 so it's going to be a lonnnngg day :P

hi fairycluff. I have also applied for the microbiology ones (northampton and manchester anyway) Saw that you are going to the northmpton open day is that the afternoon one tomorrow? I have been invited to the afternoon session, only coming from manchester though
Reply 1302
Original post by meaowmeaow
hi everyone,

i have been wanting to apply to a couple of the posts, mainly genetics, but they no longer seem to be advertised on the nhs jobs website anymore. Birmingham and leeds were there last week but now they are not, even through the closing date for them was the 13th march.

have they closed early? or is there another way that i can apply for them?

any help or information would be appreciated as i'm now stressing out thinking that i've missed the boat!!!!!

Hello ... I'm interested in the Genetics posts too.

Leeds and Birmingham both went up initially with a closing date of the 13th March, but at the beginning of March the Leeds one changed to the 6th. (Having rushed my app for that one I then submitted Birmingham sharpish too, as I was afraid of it closing early ... which, from your post, it now sounds like it might have done.) I'm really sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news :frown: - that *if we get enough applicants we'll close it when we feel like* disclaimer is the bane of my life atm ...

Are you applying for the Oxford Radcliffe post?
Hi all,

Has anyone applied for the Vascular/Cardiac Physiology posts??

Eagerly awaiting that e-mail telling me to check my NHS Jobs account!! :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Chris
I assume everyone else is just sat watching this thread waiting for an update from either their email account or someone else on this forum? :biggrin:
Reply 1305
anyone know if this clinical scientist training scheme exists in north america? as getting into grad school over there is a serious mission in itself?
Reply 1306
Don't understand why they bin your application if you have a 2.2 in undergrad if you have a PhD as your undergrad does not define your excellence anyway???? Plus I heard that they favour ladies for these schemes as well? is this true? as it is a 80% female intake nationwide????
Reply 1307
In response to horrorshow yes I am repeatedly checking this page for updates and in response to wonky I hope they don't give women an easy time, if I get a placement I want to get it fair and square!

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 1308
Original post by Chris_B_SE22
Hi all,

Has anyone applied for the Vascular/Cardiac Physiology posts??

Eagerly awaiting that e-mail telling me to check my NHS Jobs account!! :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Chris

Hi Chris

I applied for the Vascular posts in London and I'm also eagerly awaiting that email :smile:
Original post by wonky
Don't understand why they bin your application if you have a 2.2 in undergrad if you have a PhD as your undergrad does not define your excellence anyway???? Plus I heard that they favour ladies for these schemes as well? is this true? as it is a 80% female intake nationwide????

That's their criteria though and a PhD is NOT technically a requirement of the posts. And anyway an undergraduate is probably the most valuable degree to them as a PhD is on a very specific area and isn't graded as such, although I'm sure they appreciate the skills that a PhD researcher gains from their research (I have a BSc and PhD btw). There are just a lot of women in science and from my experience biological sciences, so I don't believe they favour women it's just more women than men apply for certain positions.
Reply 1310
I suppose, you can get onto PhD with 2.2 if you know people that can facilitate or you have a masters. I think for the interpretive and analytical skills and the fact that you need to have experience in assay development etc, I would have thought that they would take a significant consideration to this.

I suppose there are more women in science! Go ladies!! But I got info from the inside that they would prefer to take on women? Maybe ladies are more focused and also more female consultants than male consultants anyway....
Reply 1311
Anyone know what the assessments are exactly, is it like GAMSAT/MCAT/BMAT type or is it more clinical?
Original post by wonky
Anyone know what the assessments are exactly, is it like GAMSAT/MCAT/BMAT type or is it more clinical?

I thinks it's a combination of a panel interview, a presentation and group work tasks - standard assessment centre BS :wink:

Chris
Original post by NatJR
Hi Chris

I applied for the Vascular posts in London and I'm also eagerly awaiting that email :smile:

Hi Nat,

Good luck for getting a London vascular post! I appplied for Cardiology (Oxford and Berkshire) and two Vascular jobs (Bath and Bristol)

Chris
Reply 1314
Hey

I know the scheme takes 3 years but does anyone know if having a PhD already means you could do a shorter course? Do you still need to do the masters? In the Scottish course its says you spend time in aberdeen, glasgow, edinburgh and dundee.....any idea how long in each or if you are primarily based in one??
Cheers!:smile:
Reply 1315
Original post by MDFF
Hey

I know the scheme takes 3 years but does anyone know if having a PhD already means you could do a shorter course? Do you still need to do the masters? In the Scottish course its says you spend time in aberdeen, glasgow, edinburgh and dundee.....any idea how long in each or if you are primarily based in one??
Cheers!:smile:

As already explained the Scottish scheme is 4 years. I know for medical physics you either get placed at aberdeen, glasgow, edinburgh or dundee. Unfortunately you do not get to choose where you go and can only state a preference. You will be in that place for 2 years and then can apply to move for your part 2 training.

Hope this helps:smile:
I know last year in microbiology in Scotland they had two posts, one was the traditional 4 year and one was the 3 year STP one. You are generally based in one place but you do have to do placements at all the different laboratories. And they do not pay for you to stay in these places as such so it can end up being quite costly. And no a PhD doesn't mean a shorter course unfortunately!
Reply 1317
How many open days did everyone get to attend this year? I was able to attend one, but had a reply from another saying they didn't have time this year, and no reply from two others.

Do you think the new scheme has had an effect?
I was informed during my application process for a clinical scientist (haem) post in Edinburgh that candidates who already had a masters wouldn't have to do another one and could do a PhD instead.
Reply 1319
Original post by seleta
How many open days did everyone get to attend this year? I was able to attend one, but had a reply from another saying they didn't have time this year, and no reply from two others.

Do you think the new scheme has had an effect?

I couldn't get time off work to visit on the open days but I managed to arrange individual visits to 2 labs.

The impression I got whilst I was there is that no one is really sure how the training scheme is going to work this year as it is so different to the scheme from previous years. As there is a national timetable for the recruitment process this year rather than each hospital interviewing etc at different times (like in previous years) and the applications didn't open until the end of February, I think they have had less time to organise visits for interested candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending