The Student Room Group

What are the prospects for British Arch. graduates?

Does anybody here know whether British architects are needed in other countries? Have any of you considered working abroad? Where? Why? Are British architects of a better than those from other countries?
Reply 1
plenty of jobs advertised on dezeenjobs to work in china. for free as an intern.

its not great as an architecture student anywhere. we are at the limits of growth in europe and asia which is still growing has plenty of its own students who know the system and speak the language.
Reply 2
Original post by JK471993
Does anybody here know whether British architects are needed in other countries? Have any of you considered working abroad? Where? Why? Are British architects of a better than those from other countries?

Yet again China. Start learning Mandarin. If you can speak Mandarin and English you'll likely get considered in China. Luckily I'm already halfway there as I'm Chinese and born in the UK but not really good at reading or writing, probably going to teach myself properly in the next few years.
Reply 3
I would look at countries that their economy is booming. China is not the only solution, have a look at Australia and Canada. In Europe there is not much happening at the moment.
Reply 4
Thanks for the answers so far.
What about Brazil and South America?
Reply 5
Original post by cybergrad
I would look at countries that their economy is booming. China is not the only solution, have a look at Australia and Canada. In Europe there is not much happening at the moment.

Australia is now stopping issuing work permits for non-nationals to protect home jobs. Just so you know.
Reply 6

Brazil is a developing economy and there are a lot of infrastructure and building related career opportunities but the profession is heavily regulated. You need really good Portuguese language skills and verification of your degree titles and modules.........unless you get lucky and work for an international company and they sort out all the bureaucratic procedures for you. The most important problem is that you will get a good salary that will offer you a comfortable life in Brazil but outside Brazil it would be considered peanuts.
Reply 7

OK, the thing is, you are at a massive cultural and language disadvantage if you are not native. I am British, but I have lived in France for four years, my home is there and I speak the language to a reasonable level. I know the mayor, the system, but I am a massive disadvantage as

a) I'm not French
b) I didn't study architecture in France

What I am trying to say is seriously don't underestimate the importance of localism, nationalism etc in something like architecture. Sure if you're working for a big multinational then you can work as part of a team anywhere in the world. If you think you can go over to these countries and land a job, then you are likely to be severely disappointed.

Quiller worked over in Switzerland and I am sure he could provide us all with some valuable insight into what its like to be a non-national working in a foreign country doing architecture, should he want to post.
Reply 8
Look into South Africa. I'm from there but studying architecure in England.
Advantage is everyone speaks english and there is alot of development going on! Also alot of people are of British origin, so that comfort level will be there if thats something that could influence your decison?

Google and look into SAOTO architects. There a good practise in South Africa. Send an email to them and ask them any questions you might have on their practise or on architecture and its prospects in South Africa.

hope i was a help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending