The Student Room Group

Can I get jobseekers allowance if I quit a job?

I was on JSA, but I got a job that was 12 hours a week. I took it, because I got paid a little more than I would on JSA. THEN, they cut my hours to 7.5, meaning I am considerably worse off.

I have been to the jobcentre, and they won't "top me up." I am applying for other jobs, but who knows how long it will take to find one :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you mean you are worse off? If you are earning less than £51.85 pw (under 25, if you're over 25 then £65.45 pw) then you can claim some JSA to "top you up" as you say it (you can actually earn about £5.00 more than this each week as well because there is an earnings allowance where they don't take the first £5.00 into account), as long as you work less than 16 hours each week. If what you mean is that you are losing out on other benefits, which means that you are worse off, you can still claim Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit if you are working but earning a low wage?
Reply 3
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
What do you mean you are worse off? If you are earning less than £51.85 pw (under 25, if you're over 25 then £65.45 pw) then you can claim some JSA to "top you up" as you say it (you can actually earn about £5.00 more than this each week as well because there is an earnings allowance where they don't take the first £5.00 into account), as long as you work less than 16 hours each week. If what you mean is that you are losing out on other benefits, which means that you are worse off, you can still claim Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit if you are working but earning a low wage?

I do earn under £51.85 but they still won't/haven't topped me up?
Original post by *Dreaming*
I do earn under £51.85 but they still won't/haven't topped me up?

Then ask to speak to another Jobcentre employee. As you've been mis-advised you will probably have good grounds for backdating as well, so I'd certainly mention that. The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't is if you had some other income coming in that takes you over the threshold or if they are counting you as a full time student?

Also, have you quit this job already? Because if you voluntarily leave work they can impose a penalty on you, where they won't pay you JSA for a certain period of time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
You want to be on JSA and sit on your ass do nothing productive and let the tax payer, pay for letting you do **** all.
Original post by SAK.A
You want to be on JSA and sit on your ass do nothing productive and let the tax payer, pay for letting you do **** all.

This isn't a very helpful comment. The OP is working but has had his hours cut to where his income is actually less than people on the minimum amount of benefits. If he can't afford to buy food/his rent/travel costs etc. what would you expect him to do if he can't find another job? Starve?
Reply 7
Then ask to speak to another Jobcentre employee. As you've been mis-advised you will probably have good grounds for backdating as well, so I'd certainly mention that. The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't is if you had some other income coming in that takes you over the threshold or if they are counting you as a full time student?

Also, have you quit this job already? Because if you voluntarily leave work they can impose a penalty on you, where they won't pay you JSA for a certain period of time.

No I don't have another income, I filled out B7 forms but I wasn't paid anything. And I'm not a student. I'm still at this job now, and I'm asking whether they would impose a penalty even if I was worse off?
Reply 8
Original post by SAK.A

I get less money than I did on JSA, when I was on JSA they said they wouldn't expect anyone to take a job leaving them worse off. And I've also been taxed for some reason in my job when I'm not meant to be, so be quiet please.
I don't remember if it is JSA but there is some sort of benefit that you are not entitled to if you quit your job because you have made yourself jobless. I hope things get better for you soon.
Original post by Travelling_Girl
I don't remember if it is JSA but there is some sort of benefit that you are not entitled to if you quit your job because you have made yourself jobless. I hope things get better for you soon.

This is JSA, as said above, they impose a penalty period after which you can normally claim.

I'm afraid OP that I don't see a reason why they have refused you. Do you have a JSA decision letter? Did they give you a reason in the Jobcentre? If not, I'd ask for a Statement of Reasons as to why they have decided you can't claim (you have a month after the decision to appeal, so I'd be quick of you can). Once you know the reason, you can argue your case against it. If you need help, I'd recommend contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau but they can take some time to get back to you/arrange an appointment, so don't wait for them, find out what you can now and appeal against it if you think it's unfair. From the sound of it, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to claim some JSA on top of your earnings.
Reply 11
This is JSA, as said above, they impose a penalty period after which you can normally claim.

I'm afraid OP that I don't see a reason why they have refused you. Do you have a JSA decision letter? Did they give you a reason in the Jobcentre? If not, I'd ask for a Statement of Reasons as to why they have decided you can't claim (you have a month after the decision to appeal, so I'd be quick of you can). Once you know the reason, you can argue your case against it. If you need help, I'd recommend contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau but they can take some time to get back to you/arrange an appointment, so don't wait for them, find out what you can now and appeal against it if you think it's unfair. From the sound of it, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to claim some JSA on top of your earnings.

I have been to to the jobcentre for 2 signings since I signed on again....I didn't get a decision letter in the post :s-smilie:
I have been to to the jobcentre for 2 signings since I signed on again....I didn't get a decision letter in the post :s-smilie:

Then you should ask them for a Statement of Reasons - if they've refused you, you have a right to know why and they should have told you what this reason was. I would ask in person/telephone if you want to but DEFINITELY send a letter as well, by recorded post and keep a copy of it. This is so that you have proof if you want to appeal later. However, if you just want to know the reason they said no to begin with, they should have record of this on file if you ring them up.

If you haven't had a decision letter and have only been to 2 signings, are you certain they have made a decision on your claim yet or are they still processing it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Then you should ask them for a Statement of Reasons - if they've refused you, you have a right to know why and they should have told you what this reason was. I would ask in person/telephone if you want to but DEFINITELY send a letter as well, by recorded post and keep a copy of it. This is so that you have proof if you want to appeal later. However, if you just want to know the reason they said no to begin with, they should have record of this on file if you ring them up.

Do you mean ring my local jobcentre on the JSA line?

and thankyou for your help :smile:
**** off you leeching b*****d
Do you mean ring my local jobcentre on the JSA line?

and thankyou for your help :smile:

No problem :smile: if you have your local JCs direct number that would probably be better because they don't always write very good notes on the national CIS system (and sometimes don't bother at all, which makes things very difficult sometimes! :rolleyes: ) but if you don't have their number or can't get through, use the national number and they'll be able to tell you whatever is written on your CIS file. I would tell you myself but I could go to prison for violating your data rights, so not a very good idea :wink:
Reply 16
Did you provide them with your payslips cause they wont give you any money until you do.
Reply 17
it's great being on the dole. all that free money. haha :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Limesasquatch
**** off you leeching b*****d

Well aren't you so very intelligent.

I'm guessing you have a job seeing as though you feel so high and mighty. Why the hell can people like you get given jobs when your obviously an imbecile?!

That is just what is wrong with society. You and people who employ you.
Original post by Smophy
Well aren't you so very intelligent.

I'm guessing you have a job seeing as though you feel so high and mighty. Why the hell can people like you get given jobs when your obviously an imbecile?!

That is just what is wrong with society. You and people who employ you.

Hence all the cutbacks by the Conservative govt.

We cant be pouring all tax money into lost causes and lazy ****s.

The country has to move forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending