The Student Room Group

Mature students- Q about fees

From what i gather you're classed as a mature student if you enter uni at 21 or over?

I was wondering... what is the tuition fee for a mature student? Specifically at Salford uni? (not sure if it's a set fee for all uni's??)

Mature students pay the same, and the fee is usually the same for all unis - £3290 for next year, though going up in 2012.
Reply 2
Tuition fees are the same for all ages.
Yo are not considered an independent student until you are 25 or have lived independently for 3 years. Being 21 is of no consequence whatsoever.
I keep reading that 21 classes you as a mature student??

Is an independent student different? Do you pay more fees as an independent student?
Original post by psychocustard
Mature students pay the same, and the fee is usually the same for all unis - £3290 for next year, though going up in 2012.

It isn't £3290 next year. That as this year's fee.
Original post by GirlsJstWanaHavFun

Is an independent student different? Do you pay more fees as an independent student?

I don't believe so, though for student finance you aren't counted as dependent on your parents, so your loans/grants are calculated only on your income or a spouses income if you have one, NOT your parents income.
Reply 7
Original post by GirlsJstWanaHavFun

Sometimes Universities class 21 and over as mature but for student finance purposes its 25. Not that it makes any difference to fees, the only thing it affects is whos income is taken into account when applying income assessed.
Reply 8
Hey,

Im hoping you might be able to shed a little light hope you dont mind me adding a new question to your thred, I am 23 and applying for my finance (or attempting to although patience is already running thin) Totally not getting to grips with it. Me and my partner own our own house, I am classed as independent as have supported myself for more than three years. I will have to stop working as dont think its going to be possible during my Social Work degree.

I know they take his income into account but...what do I put for living situation, it only gives the option of living with parents or living away from parental home?! I am clearly out of there home but in my own....? Talk about stumbling at the first hurdle...how will I ever complete a degree? :-)
Also what do you do in terms of household income if I am finishing employment before starting my studying? If they take into account my last years earnings I will get very little but only on my partners income (although he doesnt support me atm were 50:50...grr

Soooo confused! Any help would be great, I was going to call but too late now desperate for an answer as Im streeeeeessing!

Amy x
Reply 9
Just blag it, student finance don't check every persons application only a minority, I'm a mature student myself but classed as independent as I'm 25, but I live on my own so they won't have to take anyone else's income into account. Someone I am doing an access course with put their partner as living elsewhere on the census, so only has their predicted income for next year taken into account. The worse they can do is pick up on it and give you less.
Reply 10
Original post by sparky86
Just blag it, student finance don't check every persons application only a minority, I'm a mature student myself but classed as independent as I'm 25, but I live on my own so they won't have to take anyone else's income into account. Someone I am doing an access course with put their partner as living elsewhere on the census, so only has their predicted income for next year taken into account. The worse they can do is pick up on it and give you less.

Don't listen to this persons advice they are completely wrong.

If you are under 25 and trying to claim independence the student finance WILL want evidence that you have supported yourself for the past 3 years. This is commonly done by providing P60s showing enough income to support yourself.

What you put on the Census has nothing whatsoever to do with student finance, student finance don't look at the Census.
Reply 11
Original post by flipshot
Don't listen to this persons advice they are completely wrong.

If you are under 25 and trying to claim independence the student finance WILL want evidence that you have supported yourself for the past 3 years. This is commonly done by providing P60s showing enough income to support yourself.

What you put on the Census has nothing whatsoever to do with student finance, student finance don't look at the Census.

Maybe this is presumptious, but how did my mate get away with it, also if you look online there are many ppl that have also done the same; they may want evidence but that does not mean they will link it with the person your are living with. Do you honestly think that student finance have the resources to fund looking into every student application, seriously?
Reply 12
They're not applying to the SLC. SLC do not fund access courses, as they're not designated.
Reply 13

Maybe this is presumptious, but how did my mate get away with it, also if you look online there are many ppl that have also done the same; they may want evidence but that does not mean they will link it with the person your are living with. Do you honestly think that student finance have the resources to fund looking into every student application, seriously?

Of course not but if you get caught, you'll be prosecuted for fraud.
Reply 14
Original post by alibee

Which is a big problem if you want to do a job such as Social Work!

IMO the OP should put 'Living away from parental home', since that is obviously the case.
Reply 15
Original post by alibee

Yes fairenough, I'm not sure they would take it that far though, much like the inland revenue wouldn't if you make a mistake on your tax self assessment form; they will just ask for an amendment.
I had no idea that as a twenty five year old you're considered independent! Thanks guys, this is such great news! I wasn't entitled to anything but the bare minimum loan. I've written them a letter to change my application.
Original post by ABrad
Hey,

Im hoping you might be able to shed a little light hope you dont mind me adding a new question to your thred, I am 23 and applying for my finance (or attempting to although patience is already running thin) Totally not getting to grips with it. Me and my partner own our own house, I am classed as independent as have supported myself for more than three years. I will have to stop working as dont think its going to be possible during my Social Work degree.

I know they take his income into account but...what do I put for living situation, it only gives the option of living with parents or living away from parental home?! I am clearly out of there home but in my own....? Talk about stumbling at the first hurdle...how will I ever complete a degree? :-)
Also what do you do in terms of household income if I am finishing employment before starting my studying? If they take into account my last years earnings I will get very little but only on my partners income (although he doesnt support me atm were 50:50...grr

Soooo confused! Any help would be great, I was going to call but too late now desperate for an answer as Im streeeeeessing!

Amy x

For living situation - you are living elsewhere
Your household income will be nil as you are giving up your job
your partners income will be counted in full regardless of if he will support you or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending