The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tech
I rediscovered Orwell the other day.. nice trip to waterstones, picked up animal farm and 1984. lovely stuff!

it's amazing how many 'real' words i've forgotten though :frown:

I worked in Waterstones for 3 years, and during that time my desire to read for pleasure just nosedived. :frown:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Have you met lekky then? :lol:

Nope, but my statement still stands!
I've just been convinced to highlight my hair with purple streaks. Funky hair colours for the win.
Reply 2123
Fission_Mailed didn't even make it into the club. Just needed put that out there.
Original post by Mushi_master
attention grab
With regards to accommodation at King's, what are you thoughts on Great Dover Street / Wolfson House? I've heard good things about King's College halls (on the Denmark Hill campus), especially socially, but what about the ones mentioned earlier?

To be fair, I want to base it mainly on the locality to the campus. I'm a lazy ****! :tongue:

Any help / advice appreciated! :smile:
Original post by i'm no superman
With regards to accommodation at King's, what are you thoughts on Great Dover Street / Wolfson House? I've heard good things about King's College halls (on the Denmark Hill campus), especially socially, but what about the ones mentioned earlier?

To be fair, I want to base it mainly on the locality to the campus. I'm a lazy ****! :tongue:

I know this wasn't aimed at me but I thought I'd chip in too! I live at Great Dover Street at the moment and it's about a 10 minute walk to campus, maybe a bit less! It's quite nice, I mean it's good to have an en suite, if you can call it that! Wolfson is good too, obviously it's right on campus which is fab, and it's a fair bit cheaper than gds. So, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom etc then Wolfson would be better. Also, at gds, there are really small things that get on my nerves! We have a kitchen inspection every 2 weeks and if we fail it 3 times we get fined! However, security is really good :smile:

p.s congrats on getting an offer!
Reply 2126
Original post by Jessaay!
I BET WE'D WIN WITH DRINKING.

Lies :nah:
Original post by billet-doux
We have a kitchen inspection every 2 weeks and if we fail it 3 times we get fined!

What the actual ****?
Original post by RollerBall
What the actual ****?

I know :s-smilie: It's £35 as well!!!!
Original post by i'm no superman

Most people I know stayed at GDS, and there's likely to be a large medic fresher scene there. It's quite nice, and ensuite which is always a bonus - but it is a little pricey, the rooms are fairly small (due to bathroom in them - crap shower btw), kitchen inspections as well as cleaning your own kitchen, and the security is known to be a bit of a pain in the arse on the strict side of things.

I stayed at Wolfson, which was cheaper with bigger rooms (although lack of ensuite - but that's hardly an issue I'd say). Security was very friendly whilst also very good, and there are no kitchen inspections as they get cleaned for you daily (although the cleaners can be a little rude!). The kitchen is relatively small however with large numbers sharing it (14 people per floor), which could get to be a bit of a pain in the arse. Being on campus definitely gives it a good review from me!

King's college hall seemed to get good reviews, although I didn't know too many staying there. Good social scene and all. However the location could be irritating, not that many trains to London Bridge (although there are buses). Although if you're doing neuro it'll be good to find out where your modules/project is based, as if it's at Denmark Hill/Institute of Psychiatry at the Maudsley, KCH is just down the road.
Hmmm.... we're getting bombarded with emails advertising finals revision courses recently. I can't help but think this is an entrepreneurial way to relieve panicky medical students of their money (especially with some at £147 per weekend!) with little gain, so I'm unlikely to sign up to any. That said, does anyone have an experience on them being more than vaguely useful?
Original post by Captain Crash
Hmmm.... we're getting bombarded with emails advertising finals revision courses recently. I can't help but think this is an entrepreneurial way to relieve panicky medical students of their money (especially with some at £147 per weekend!) with little gain, so I'm unlikely to sign up to any. That said, does anyone have an experience on them being more than vaguely useful?

Some of the FY1s were saying that the books you get given on the courses are worth their weight in gold, the actual courses less so. So if you can find someone who's been and is willing to let you steal their books, you don't need to spend time or money.
Got mail from Westminster council telling me "Our records show that your household is not entitled to pay council tax. However by law we are required to tell you how much you would have had to pay".

Yeah thanks Westminster! Interesting stuff! *throws in bin*
Original post by Jessaay!
Got mail from Westminster council telling me "Our records show that your household is not entitled to pay council tax. However by law we are required to tell you how much you would have had to pay".

Yeah thanks Westminster! Interesting stuff! *throws in bin*

and people say local government is inefficient.... :tongue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12759993

Is it me or does this guy look like a total dick?
I love where he says he won't eat a burger because of the fat. Has he seen how much fat is in two 500g tubs of yoghurt and a 300g tub of cottage cheese? Prime example of a little bit of knowledge being very dangerous.
Reply 2136
Original post by ilovehotchocolate

I love where he says he won't eat a burger because of the fat. Has he seen how much fat is in two 500g tubs of yoghurt and a 300g tub of cottage cheese? Prime example of a little bit of knowledge being very dangerous.

Well, 1000g of yoghurt has 15g of fat and 300g of cottage cheese has less than 2 grams of fat. I bet a burger he describes has more than 17g of fat.

Source: The tubs of cottage cheese and yoghurt in front of me.
Reply 2137
Original post by digitalis
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12759993

Is it me or does this guy look like a total dick?
I used to live with a weirdo like that, complete knob.
Original post by visesh
Well, 1000g of yoghurt has 15g of fat and 300g of cottage cheese has less than 2 grams of fat. I bet a burger he describes has more than 17g of fat.

Source: The tubs of cottage cheese and yoghurt in front of me.

I see, fair enough. I was thinking cheese would prob be v high in fat. I stand corrected.
Reply 2139

I see, fair enough. I was thinking cheese would prob be v high in fat. I stand corrected.

Cottage cheese is almost ubiquitously loved by people doing strength training as it's a very good, cheap protein source without much fat in it. It's an odd one.

Latest

Trending

Trending