The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by ywish7
I've applied for the Genetics post at Leeds too. When did you hear about the visit? I'm hoping this has been pushed back..mind you they did close the vacancy early.....oh well. :s-smilie:

Original post by mogchsg2
I emailed Leeds directly last week to arrange an informal visit but she said they would be having one for shorlisted candidates only on Thursday the 24th and I think they will stick to this. I would expect them to let people know today, tomorrow at the very latest. I wish someone would post if they have an invite, but its unllikely those lucky few are members of this site......only 24hours to wait anyway, lol!!!

I've applied to Genetics in Leeds, and have yet to hear anything. If the visit is the 24th then I sort of feel like that's it now :frown: ... I can't believe they'd tell you the day before the visit, and I'd struggle if they did because I live in Scotland atm, so getting trains and accomodation organised etc would be a nightmare!

If you guys don't mind me asking, what qualifications / relevant experience do you have? I admit I never really rated my chances, as I've only got a BSc (though a First, from a good uni) - and since graduating I've been working in an office just to get by financially while I apply for jobs in Genetics.

Ohh, and if I'm being pessimistic and they have yet to inform those who have been successful ... good luck! Let us know if you hear anything? :smile:
Reply 1361
was it from the Hospital direct or a centralised department?? I assume it was an offer for the assessment center?
Reply 1362
Original post by (~Rach~)
I've applied to Genetics in Leeds, and have yet to hear anything. If the visit is the 24th then I sort of feel like that's it now :frown: ... I can't believe they'd tell you the day before the visit, and I'd struggle if they did because I live in Scotland atm, so getting trains and accomodation organised etc would be a nightmare!

If you guys don't mind me asking, what qualifications / relevant experience do you have? I admit I never really rated my chances, as I've only got a BSc (though a First, from a good uni) - and since graduating I've been working in an office just to get by financially while I apply for jobs in Genetics.

Ohh, and if I'm being pessimistic and they have yet to inform those who have been successful ... good luck! Let us know if you hear anything? :smile:

I have a high 2.1 BSc in Biochem-Pharm, Distinction in MSc Regenerative med, and am now a third year PhD in Medicine. However, my experience in genetics is limited, I have applied to three Biochemistry jobs, but really wanted the Leeds Genetics. I agree though, very unlikely to give you less than a days notice for the visit......gutted!!

Good luck to you also, and if you get a reply let us know ASAP, the waiting is the worst part!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi All,

I was just wondering how are people being informed of invitation to interview? - post or email? ... just so i know what to keep an eye out for!! - i just want to know either way! - id LOVE an interview! lol :smile:
was it from the Hospital direct or a centralised department?? I assume it was an offer for the assessment center?

It was from the hospital direct (Royal Berkshire), but not an offer. I'm hoping this means we might hear about other audiology posts in the next couple of days, if not tomorrow.
Original post by amy_rose5
Hi All,

I was just wondering how are people being informed of invitation to interview? - post or email? ... just so i know what to keep an eye out for!! - i just want to know either way! - id LOVE an interview! lol :smile:

Prob best to keep an eye out for emails asking you to check your NHS jobs account.
Reply 1366
Original post by owpowpowp
Has anyone heard back from Medical Physics posts?

Do you all think it's a good idea to prepare now anyway, just in case they inform us too close to the interview?

Hey only heard back from Newcastle for medical physics so far. Where have you applied to?
Reply 1367
I have a high 2.1 BSc in Biochem-Pharm, Distinction in MSc Regenerative med, and am now a third year PhD in Medicine. However, my experience in genetics is limited, I have applied to three Biochemistry jobs, but really wanted the Leeds Genetics. I agree though, very unlikely to give you less than a days notice for the visit......gutted!!

Good luck to you also, and if you get a reply let us know ASAP, the waiting is the worst part!!

Wow!! Puts my degree into perspective a little :tongue:
I tried to convey that there was a lot of genetics in my course, but it's not in my degree title and I don't know how successful I was. Applied for Birmingham Genetics too so I guess that's another chance.

Definitely agree that the waiting is the worst part ... I just want to know one way or another!
Reply 1368
Has anyone heard from Genetics and Pathology posts yet?
Original post by sbarron
what did the message on jobs.nhs say? because i thought we werent going to hear directly from our hospitals

It was just your general “further to your recent application....” type message.

The message was from the Royal Berkshire NHS Trust. However I only received an acknowledgement from Cambridge when I sent my applications, so I guess it depends on the individual hospital whether they contact applicants themselves or not.

Guess this isn't a particularly helpful post, sorry!
Hi all, has anybody had any response regarding the microbiology posts yet, i've got to to the stage of checking my emails every hour now ! I know the assessment day is on the 13th so I presume the shortlisted candidates would be invited for a laboratory tour very soon (anybody else know any different).....

For the people who have applied for the micro posts, whats everybodys background, Ive heard a lot of people with phd's are the only successful ones?
Reply 1371
Original post by sbarron
The selection and recruiment for the new scheme is meant to make the recruitment fairer and will therefore stop places only taking PhD students - they access our applications based on the person spec so people with a variety of experience can show they meet each point on the person spec. PhD students may have found the person spec easier to answer though ??

Considering this, I wish I had paid more attention to the personal specs for example being able to lead a team and knowledge of computer software wasn't really portrayed in my supporting statement, think my chances have gone from slim to none.... Oh well looks like it's the post doc job for me now lol!!!
No need to quite panic yet if you haven't heard anything. As far as I can tell (by a good bit of googling) the Trusts have until today to finalize their shortlisting: 4 people per position with some reserves.
Reply 1373
http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/east-midlands-msc-implementation/documents/FAQ%20for%20STP%20Recruitment%202011-03-17-122450.pdf

a Q&A sheet aimed at the NHS recruiters about the recruitment plan, gives some answers about the assessments days. it states 18th as the deadline for shortlisting, but then another document says 23rd.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1374
Original post by louisecc
http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/east-midlands-msc-implementation/documents/FAQ%20for%20STP%20Recruitment%202011-03-17-122450.pdf

a Q&A sheet aimed at the NHS recruiters about the recruitment plan, gives some answers about the assessments days. it states 18th as the deadline for shortlisting, but then another document says 23rd.

Yeah I think the date got changed to the 18th...well I think they should start letting us know after today if they are sticking to the timeline as someone else said it should be finalised after today.
Hi all,

I found this document online, which gives a bit more detail on the whole process. It may be similar to the one posted above.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/STP_recruitment_process_guidance_sl280111.pdf

SK
Reply 1376
#Why are we waiting...#

Even though I know I have more chance of winning the Lottery than getting an interview, I'm still quivering with anticipation just in case I get that golden email!

Edit: Oh dear, now I've started checking my NHS Jobs account on a far-too-regular basis, just in case the message doesn't get through to my webmail account..! HELP!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1377
Its a slim chnace for us all, they said for 2010 intake there were 40 applicants for EACH post, and to make it worse they expected more applications this year (info taken from the documented link in the post above).
Reply 1378
Its a slim chnace for us all, they said for 2010 intake there were 40 applicants for EACH post, and to make it worse they expected more applications this year (info taken from the documented link in the post above).

Um...it won't cheer you up then if I tell you that a woman I met who works in the Oxford microbiology lab said they had 400 applicants for two positions...

Sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 1379
haha, no that will cheer me up when I dont receive an invite, how can they possibly choose 8 from that many applicants..........I've never been good at the lottery!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending