The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mug51
yea it's pay day this friday.
i'm counting down the sharesave payments, only because i chose to put in the maximum and not realise it's a chunk out my pay, oh well 34 more to go after friday.

regarding the waitrose bonus, employees are partners of the business, which makes sense to give them 18%. Sainsbury's don't make us partners just employees so 3% makes sense to them.

be right back looking for a job in waitrose (nope non available)

Haha same - although I've got an interview at waitrose for online shopper :smile:

Anyone know how much notice you need to give when leaving sainsbrys? I've worked there for just over 6months.
Original post by beherenow94
Haha same - although I've got an interview at waitrose for online shopper :smile:

Anyone know how much notice you need to give when leaving sainsbrys? I've worked there for just over 6months.

4 weeks... but i dont think you technically have to give anything. :dontknow:
Reply 7902
Original post by number-11
am i right in thinking payday is this friday ??

Yes.
We have a sign up in our colleague area saying we got 1% for each of the sections. I can't remember what they are. One was definitely MCM and then I think MAC and sales targets or something. But it doesn't actually say when we're getting it, not the most helpful thing.
Reply 7904
I have an interview for Sainsbury's as a counter assistant Saturday. Wooooo :smile:

Just wondering, (as I have a booked holiday for a week in September) if they are required to give me time off that week or if it can be subtracted from holiday entitlement etc. Providing that I get the job of course...
Original post by JemMills
I have an interview for Sainsbury's as a counter assistant Saturday. Wooooo :smile:

Just wondering, (as I have a booked holiday for a week in September) if they are required to give me time off that week or if it can be subtracted from holiday entitlement etc. Providing that I get the job of course...

They should ask at your interview if you have any holiday booked, so as long as you say so then, they will have to give it you off if you get the job.
Reply 7906
Thank you, I thought that would be the case. I just hope they don't mind.
so, anyone know much about the grad schemes? anyone planning to do one?
Recently got offered a job at sainsbury's as a code controller for the bakery :smile: Just wondered when the pay cut-off point is? I start on Monday and I think that's just after this month's pay day, right? Just trying to work out how much I'll get next month...
Reply 7909
Original post by mangorocket
Recently got offered a job at sainsbury's as a code controller for the bakery :smile: Just wondered when the pay cut-off point is? I start on Monday and I think that's just after this month's pay day, right? Just trying to work out how much I'll get next month...

The cut-off day is the Saturday before the payday, so you'll essentially lose a weeks pay on your first payslip.
Original post by FXX
The cut-off day is the Saturday before the payday, so you'll essentially lose a weeks pay on your first payslip.

Reply 7911
Original post by inksplodge
WOOOO pay day.

i didnt do the sharesave thing is it worth it?

i think the sharesave is worth doing if you don't spend your whole pay. basically you choose how long you want to be in it for 3 or 5 years. once it matures you have a choice of taking the money you have saved or buy sainsbury's shares at £2.97 per share.
for me it is buying shares and sell immediately and buy a house (obviously the sharesave amount isn't equivalent to a value of a house but will do as a deposit). that is if the share price is above £2.97 (currently £3.34). you can leave and take the money anytime you want too, so you aren't tied in but do lose the chance to buy shares.
It was my first proper day today after three days training as a code checker and I was never told you can't code check after 9pm. I work until 10pm so had it planned out so that I'd be able to fit it all in but at 9pm I was left with cakes and bread rolls left to code check for the 25th and I couldn't do anything about it. I spotted the store manager and we let him know and he seemed fine about it and I'll just let my department manager know tomorrow too and explain the reason.

I think the whole priority sheet thing slowed me up a bit too as I was looking around for the reductions according to the sheet when I think I could have got around a lot quicker if I'd just gone through the aisles pulling off today's date and checking for the 25th at the same time, then doing the reductions. Probably better to start on things other than bread too as we don't reduce it any more so really there's nothing can be done if we have bread that's going to be up other than have the nightshift pull it off that night. Code checking gluten free and stuff like cereal bars seemed to be something I could leave to the end too as I was told to check them first but really I found nothing there to pull off for reductions and nothing to check for the 25th.

Suppose tomorrow I'll put this plan into action and see how well it goes, the only other thing that slows things up a bit is something out of my hands really, trying to find a handset and printer, it took a good half an hour to an hour today just trying to get hold of them.

Does anyone think I'll get into much trouble for being unable to finish the codecheck today and has anyone had experience of codechecking and have any tips or hints they'd be willing to share? Thanks.
I was wondering how transferring to another store works? Do you have to give any kind of interview at the new store and do you have to give any notice to your old store?
Original post by shooting.star
I was wondering how transferring to another store works? Do you have to give any kind of interview at the new store and do you have to give any notice to your old store?

Think you have to do it throught personnel/HR at your store? That's why I haven't put in my request yet, no one is ever in HR! People I know had an interview at their new store, but more of a 'get to know you' type thing.

I'm seriously considering leaving Sainsburys now. As much as I'd like to stay because it's a secure job and the u18 pay is going to be amazing soon, they've messed me about with pay/overtime/holiday/sickness so much that everytime I go in I dread it. Was so close to my discount as well!
Original post by whiskeyinthejar
Think you have to do it throught personnel/HR at your store? That's why I haven't put in my request yet, no one is ever in HR! People I know had an interview at their new store, but more of a 'get to know you' type thing.

I'm seriously considering leaving Sainsburys now. As much as I'd like to stay because it's a secure job and the u18 pay is going to be amazing soon, they've messed me about with pay/overtime/holiday/sickness so much that everytime I go in I dread it. Was so close to my discount as well!

Ditto to having problems with HR. Because of when my shifts are, they are never around when I am in work. They only let you collect your discount card at set times too - times when I am not in work, once again. It takes nearly an hour to get there [and then an hour to get back], so I don't have the time to waste going all that way just to pick up the discount card...

I am trying to decide between asking for a transfer and just quitting. The former would be good money-wise, although I am not sure if there are any vacancies in the stores near home. The latter would be great as it would let me have some free time before I start my PGCE and, of course, I wouldn't have to sit on a checkout for 8 hours or anything like that anymore lol... I have just over a month to decide. :/
Reply 7916
I've had GM, Grocery and Produce asked me to transfer to their department, all within a week. Without sounding big headed, but I think I may be popular! :P
Original post by inksplodge
so, anyone know much about the grad schemes? anyone planning to do one?

Yep, I did a Store Development placement last summer and I have a confirmed offer for the Retail Graduate scheme starting in September so I can probably answer some questions.
Original post by davireland
Yep, I did a Store Development placement last summer and I have a confirmed offer for the Retail Graduate scheme starting in September so I can probably answer some questions.

i'm looking at ones in eg. marketing ... did you do any of those? :smile: what qualities are they looking for?
Reply 7919
please help

what are the 6 colleague values?
why does store have red route?
list 3 actions needed when completing cleaning routine?
whats the 6 principles of food safety when working in store?
How does scorecard contribute achieving sains goal?
What are 3 service principles for great service to customers when working on shop floor?

Latest

Trending

Trending