The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Cwrt Mawr Halls

Hi, everyone, just requesting a little bit more information on Cwrt Mawr, I've read the reviews (mostly a few years old) and have seen the videos. I'm just curious as to what it's like. Is it noisy? Sociable? Are there sofas in the kitchens? Is it equal male/female ratios in the flats? etc etc.

Cheers in advance guys!
Original post by smithsrail
Hi, everyone, just requesting a little bit more information on Cwrt Mawr, I've read the reviews (mostly a few years old) and have seen the videos. I'm just curious as to what it's like. Is it noisy? Sociable? Are there sofas in the kitchens? Is it equal male/female ratios in the flats? etc etc.

Cheers in advance guys!

where are the cwrt mawr halls?
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2

Cheers in advance guys!

Cwrt Mawr can be quite sociable, as its located right by Rosser, Trefloyne and all the campus facilities. When you apply, you can specify if you want quiet halls or not, with the quiet halls being on the end and away from Cwrt Mawr bar. From experience, the quieter halls have been less sociable, for example, Block N has only 7 people per flat, as opposed to the larger blocks closer to the bar.

Most of the kitchens now have sofas in them, the ones which dont are still being worked on. Some of the kitchens such as in Block E are massive, so are great for social gatherings!

The ratio of male/female varies from each flat. You can specify if you'd rather single or mixed sex, so that has an impact on it. Generally though they will group on the interests you espress on the form. There is no set criteria like 50% boys, 50% girls, although they do try go get some form of balance.
Reply 3

Cheers in advance guys!

I'm in Block C so right by the bar, it can get pretty noisy that's for sure. If you want sleep I suggest getting earplugs. :wink: Or choosing the quiet option on the form for a less noisy block.
My flat doesn't have a sofa (:frown:) but others do, I am very jealous. :colondollar: Equal M/F ratio in my flat, don't know about the rest.
Original post by miss_sporty
where are the cwrt mawr halls?

They're at the top of that vile hill, I'm thinking of applying for there, when do applications open, anyone know?
Reply 5
Sounds good, just for reference I'd prefer to be in a bigger and more social flat! Noise I can live with :smile:

Cheers for the reply people.
Original post by dodgymonkey
They're at the top of that vile hill, I'm thinking of applying for there, when do applications open, anyone know?

i think they do it in may time? then accomadation is confirmed after results day im sure thats what they said. i could be wrong though :smile:
Original post by miss_sporty
i think they do it in may time? then accomadation is confirmed after results day im sure thats what they said. i could be wrong though :smile:

You can apply for accommodation from the beginning of April :smile:

If you have an unconditional you will get told where you are staying before results day.

If you have a conditional then you will get told once you have made your decision after results day.

Therefore, those with unconditional offers are more likely to get the accommodation they want :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
You can apply for accommodation from the beginning of April :smile:

If you have an unconditional you will get told where you are staying before results day.

If you have a conditional then you will get told once you have made your decision after results day.

Therefore, those with unconditional offers are more likely to get the accommodation they want :smile:

Just a note about results day for students with conditional offers...

The sooner you accept your place on the day, the faster your accommodation application will be processed, increasing the chances of getting one of your top choices.
Original post by AberInsider
Just a note about results day for students with conditional offers...

The sooner you accept your place on the day, the faster your accommodation application will be processed, increasing the chances of getting one of your top choices.

Is it fair to say that those with unconditionals will get their preferred accomodation?
Original post by dodgymonkey
Is it fair to say that those with unconditionals will get their preferred accomodation?

I would think so.

Its also more likely that those with disabilities will get their preferred too.

Such as those who need en-suite's will get them if its due to a medical condition or those who need accommodation closer to their place of study will probably get them if they have a medical condition such as arthritis.

If you have an unconditional and submit your application soon I would guess that you'd get your preferred accommodation.

One question for Jamie though. As I have an unconditional offer, once I apply for accommodation and the university responds to me, will they tell me what room and what date I can move in or do they tell you your room upon arrival at the university? :smile:

thank you!
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
I would think so.

If you have an unconditional and submit your application soon I would guess that you'd get your preferred accommodation.

One question for Jamie though. As I have an unconditional offer, once I apply for accommodation and the university responds to me, will they tell me what room and what date I can move in or do they tell you your room upon arrival at the university? :smile:

thank you!

Correct; those with unconditional offers will get processed first, and are more likely to get their first choice.

With your unconditional offer, when you apply in April, it will be processed over the following months. This varies each year, depending on when the Accommodation Office decides to process you all, so I cant be specific with the date; however it will be before the results day in August when all those applicants with conditional offers get processed. With all applications processed, you will recieve an offer stating which halls you have been allocated, and you have a week to send back the license agreement and deposit. However you wont find out your specific block or room until you arrive. All new students will be able to move in from 10am on Friday 23rd September.
Original post by AberInsider
Correct; those with unconditional offers will get processed first, and are more likely to get their first choice.

With your unconditional offer, when you apply in April, it will be processed over the following months. This varies each year, depending on when the Accommodation Office decides to process you all, so I cant be specific with the date; however it will be before the results day in August when all those applicants with conditional offers get processed. With all applications processed, you will recieve an offer stating which halls you have been allocated, and you have a week to send back the license agreement and deposit. However you wont find out your specific block or room until you arrive. All new students will be able to move in from 10am on Friday 23rd September.

Okay, thank you very much for clearing that up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest