The Student Room Group

Lord Of The Rings: English A1 EE

Hey guys!
I'm doing Lord of The Rings for my EE.
LOTR is my favorite book, so i think its a great topic for me because I can enjoy writing it aswell.

I'm still searching for a good question or topic area to discuss LOTR. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of discussing the role of woman in LOTR, but I want to have other options, so it would be great if you guys share your thoughts :smile:

Thanks!!
Pretty much everything with LOTR has been done before in IB. Unless you come up with an original topic, it is IMPERATIVE that you choose something that will surprise and hold your examiner in his place.
In other words, find a very very original topic in LOTR or switch books. That's the deal if you want to get an A.
Reply 2
I just asked this question, too. The role of Women could eb considered plagiarism considering that one of the greatest 50 EE's is on the Empowerment of Women in LoTR which could be rather similar to what you were planning.
I'm doing my EE on Tolkien's work in general. I'm going to analyze Quenya and Sindarin and how it impacted the work or something to that effect, I don't have my theme clearly set yet. However, I want to analyze the literature from a more linguistic aspect considering that it is what I want to major in, too. I think that nobody has done that before, but I have to check.

I thought I was being original, but then I checked and noticed that another million previous students thought that they were being original, too. xDD So, I suggest that you find something that nobody has done in LoTR, which is rather hard. I know my friend did The Faces of Evil in LoTR. Perhaps you can try doing another Tolkien work? The Hobbit, The Silmarillion?
I've decided to do Tolkien in general rather than focus on one work.
Anyhoo, good luck. Hope my insomniac rambling was of any help. =P
Reply 3
Original post by StaniaMaria
Hey guys!
I'm doing Lord of The Rings for my EE.
LOTR is my favorite book, so i think its a great topic for me because I can enjoy writing it aswell.

I'm still searching for a good question or topic area to discuss LOTR. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of discussing the role of woman in LOTR, but I want to have other options, so it would be great if you guys share your thoughts :smile:

Thanks!!

I love LOTR too! Good choice...Im not writing my EE in English, but i could give you a few ideas:
1. You could talk about the differences in the moods of the different books by Tolkien (i.e the ones related to middle earth), and analyse them and find out why those moods exist etc.
2. You could talk about how Tolkein put alot of importance on smaller characters, (like Faramir or Galadriel or Tom Bombadil or Glorofindel), and how their impact on the main characters affected the storyline...then you can add more by talking about such similarities in other books, not neccesarily fantasy books.
3. You could talk about the effect of landscape and how Tolkien managed to express different landscapes. Though this topic might have probably been done many times.
Good luck, i hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending