The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by platty1907
Thank you soooo much!!! :smile:
Its just a pain that you dont know what the cut off is going to be!
My plan will be try my hardest to beat my previous score and then I shouldnt be too concerned with cut offs as long as I dont go near Sheffield

Sound ok?

That sounds like a plan :smile:

I'm sure your score will go up, pm me if you want after you have done the UKCAT :h:
Reply 121
4 rejections!! woohoo (-.-)
Not sure what to do now tbh apart from trying to get the grades.
What did you previous reapplicants do? =]
Reply 122
Original post by MJHERBZ
I'm planning on reapplying :smile: And I'm absolutely, 100% determined to make me gap year as productive as possible and really have an awesome application ready for 2012!

I've only one concern, which hopefully you guys can help me with. With a LOT of work I should be able to get AAA in my A levels (In Chemistry, Biology and Maths) and that's cool because, aside from oxbridge and the other 'top' universities, AAA is pretty much the general entry requirement.

However, considering how tough it's been this year, do you think that I will even have a realistic application with AAA? So many candidates seem to have at least one A* and I sure as hell won't be able to achieve that. When it comes down to grades, A* trumps A everytime...

So, if I achieve AAA is it definitely worth reapplying? Medicine is all I've ever wanted to do.

Yep you'll be fine :biggrin:

If you think about it, with everybody who applies first time round, the university takes a chance on that person getting their predicted grades. But once you've already got them, they'll only care whether or not you've met the entry requirements. And thats it! An A* probably wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Original post by haleem

I'm sure your score will go up, pm me if you want after you have done the UKCAT :h:

Can I PM you too?:ninja:
Reply 123
Original post by twelve
Yep you'll be fine :biggrin:

If you think about it, with everybody who applies first time round, the university takes a chance on that person getting their predicted grades. But once you've already got them, they'll only care whether or not you've met the entry requirements. And thats it! An A* probably wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Can I PM you too?:ninja:

Of course :h:
Reply 124
Original post by haleem

Hey
I was wandering what sort of things you did in your gap year.
I'm having trouble planning everything out.
Reply 125
Original post by Jin3011
Hey
I was wandering what sort of things you did in your gap year.
I'm having trouble planning everything out.

First year I worked as a hca

This year I taught kids once a week, attending talks at the science museums Dana centre - only went to two, but don't tell barts :shh:..went abroad to pakistan to volunteer in an eye camp, for like 3 days :ninja: ...apart from that done jack all.. although not in a single interview was I asked about my gap year :colonhash:
Reply 126
Original post by haleem
First year I worked as a hca

This year I taught kids once a week, attending talks at the science museums Dana centre - only went to two, but don't tell barts :shh:..went abroad to pakistan to volunteer in an eye camp, for like 3 days :ninja: ...apart from that done jack all.. although not in a single interview was I asked about my gap year :colonhash:

Oh cool.
What I can't get around my head is this. We apply again starting this summer, do another p.s, improve ukcat, send off app and then wait for uni's to reply. After uni's reply by next march/april or so, do we then do most of our proposed travelling etc?
Btw did you go pakistan this yr?:smile:
Reply 127
Original post by Jin3011
Oh cool.
What I can't get around my head is this. We apply again starting this summer, do another p.s, improve ukcat, send off app and then wait for uni's to reply. After uni's reply by next march/april or so, do we then do most of our proposed travelling etc?
Btw did you go pakistan this yr?:smile:

Think its better to do it around this time

Or any time before mid November (unis usually start sending offers after this, bar Birmingham), or 2 weeks during the Christmas break (this is when I went :smile:)

You could just put a line or two in your ps, saying what your travelling plans are and what you hope to learn. My mistake during my second application was that in my ps I wrote it too much in the future tense, if you get me...as in I went on about things I hope to learn and what I'm planning to do, basically too much was dedicated to my gap year plans... so it seemed like I hadn't actually done much :/ so this year I changed it back to how it was in my first application(during a2), more on what I had done! Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:
Hey, haleem

Did you manage to get my private message.
Reply 129
Original post by firestar101
Hey, haleem

Yeah, I replied :s-smilie:
Reply 130
Original post by firestar101
Hey, haleem

Just realised, your inbox is full :colonhash:
Reply 131
Original post by haleem
Think its better to do it around this time

Or any time before mid November (unis usually start sending offers after this, bar Birmingham), or 2 weeks during the Christmas break (this is when I went :smile:)

You could just put a line or two in your ps, saying what your travelling plans are and what you hope to learn. My mistake during my second application was that in my ps I wrote it too much in the future tense, if you get me...as in I went on about things I hope to learn and what I'm planning to do, basically too much was dedicated to my gap year plans... so it seemed like I hadn't actually done much :/ so this year I changed it back to how it was in my first application(during a2), more on what I had done! Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

Yeah it makes sense:tongue:
Thanks.
Original post by haleem
although not in a single interview was I asked about my gap year :colonhash:

Same. Hell, I was asked more last year when I wasn't on a gap year about what I'd do if I took one as opposed to this year when I was actually on one! Although, if you're doing something that you want to mention make sure you insert it in when you're answering questions at interview. I tried to mention as much as possible, to the extent where I probably waffled at times but there you go.
Reply 133
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Same. Hell, I was asked more last year when I wasn't on a gap year about what I'd do if I took one as opposed to this year when I was actually on one! Although, if you're doing something that you want to mention make sure you insert it in when you're answering questions at interview. I tried to mention as much as possible, to the extent where I probably waffled at times but there you go.

Yeah, although some unis probably do, but I doubt it :colonhash:

:yep: even if they don't ask you about your gap year, make sure you find a way to bring in any valuable stuff you have done e.g hca/travelling :h:
Original post by haleem
Yeah, although some unis probably do, but I doubt it :colonhash:

:yep: even if they don't ask you about your gap year, make sure you find a way to bring in any valuable stuff you have done e.g hca/travelling :h:

:yep: Interlink as much as you can. It's your one chance and you want to make sure you sell yourself as much as possible. In a good light, of course.
Reply 135
wats hca ?
Original post by fruitfan

Original post by fruitfan
wats hca ?

Health Care Assistant
Original post by MizzCupcakes
Health Care Assistant

What do they do? Are HCAs nurses' bitches? I don't mean that in a derogatory way :redface:

The types of duties include the following:

washing and dressing
feeding
helping people to mobilise
toileting :eek:
bed making
generally assisting with patients overall comfort
monitoring patients conditions by taking temperatures, pulse, respiration's and weight
Reply 138
woah the time on this is still one hour behind. and thanks
Reply 139
where can you work as a hca ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending