The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wheyy, ethics exam over. Weekend time!

They better be wrong about it being colder tomorrow...
Work for exams has not started yet, as I am currently trying to nurse my third hangover of the week. It's also really bad when you have to rely on information from other people to fill in the periods you blank from the night to ensure you did nothing stupid. I believe I lost about an hour between 1am and 2am, considering this week has been full of "interesting" things I've apparently done whilst drunk I have serious hangover paranoia as to what happened at this point. Oh well, one day out of the holiday isn't going to have too much impact on revision... right?
How crucial is it to have intercalated when applying to do an academic foundation programme?
Original post by Renal
1a suggests that the rota might not be that sane...

What does 1A involve?
Bloody TUC march
Reply 2285
Original post by Kinkerz
How crucial is it to have intercalated when applying to do an academic foundation programme?

From friends who have - key questions were on your previous research experience/publications and understanding of principles/future research directions. The things they referenced for these were their projects from intercalated degrees if not masters/ phDs. But if you have projects without one...

1A involves a salary multiplier of x1.5 & is the most intensive/antisocial rota allowed under EWTD/New Deal etc. but the precise business of how many nights/weekends/long days is down to the individual rota.

Jessaay - in a way, yes. Look up AUDIT C and AUDIT if you haven't come across them yet. It features as a Q...

That Psychiatry thread I should answer too when I'm not on a course...! :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Elles
From friends who have - key questions were on your previous research experience/publications and understanding of principles/future research directions. The things they referenced for these were their projects from intercalated degrees if not masters/ phDs.

So basically pretty crucial. Cool. Danke.

But if you have projects without one...

At Keele... not likely :p:
Is it me or does anyone else find the applicants using the term "pre-fresher" in their sigs most amusing. IIRC, Renal coined this term many moons ago to describe the level of knowledge below that of a fresher, i.e nil!
Original post by Elles

1A involves a salary multiplier of x1.5 & is the most intensive/antisocial rota allowed under EWTD/New Deal etc. but the precise business of how many nights/weekends/long days is down to the individual rota.

So 50% extra salary for doing the whole "average of 48 hours a week over 26 weeks" thing?
Reply 2289
Original post by digitalis
So 50% extra salary for doing the whole "average of 48 hours a week over 26 weeks" thing?

At more antisocial times.
I think 1B may historically also tends to be 48 hours but fewer weekends/nights and more long weekdays i guess.
Original post by Elles
At more antisocial times.
I think 1B may historically also tends to be 48 hours but fewer weekends/nights and more long weekdays.

Ahh, I see. Thanks!
Reply 2291
How it actually is decided can seem pretty mysterious though..! :tongue:

I've done 1Bs that involved split nights & horrible weekends v. 1Bs that only involved supernumerary longs days/occasional weekend & then 1As with no nights but more frequent weekends.
Reply 2292
Original post by digitalis
Is it me or does anyone else find the applicants using the term "pre-fresher" in their sigs most amusing. IIRC, Renal coined this term many moons ago to describe the level of knowledge below that of a fresher, i.e nil!

The term has been around for donkey's & not just for med
Original post by Kinkerz

you keen on surgery brah?
Original post by Isometrix
you keen on surgery brah?

Not even a little bit.
Original post by Kinkerz
Not even a little bit.

Immunologist...living the dream eh?

On placement, the F2 GP said intercalating had almost no effect on getting FY posts but only made a difference when you started applying for ST...
The clocks go forwards tonight and I have a basketball match tomorrow at 10 (and one at 1:30, but I'll actually get some minutes in the earlier one.:ahee:). FML, I'm going to bed at half 12 on a Saturday.
5ish more weeks until final exams....woooooooooooooot....not. So screwed and 2nd year exams is apparently the hardest ones too. Crap.
Reply 2298
Original post by lekky
The term has been around for donkey's & not just for med
Absolutely, but it's still a term of abuse.
Original post by Isometrix
Immunologist...living the dream eh?

On placement, the F2 GP said intercalating had almost no effect on getting FY posts but only made a difference when you started applying for ST...

I'd love to do an immunology degree, but the options are very limited. Top of my list is the pharmacology BSc at Leeds. Not sure if they'll still be taking externals by the end of my fourth year though. Then there's the additional factor in that Keele offer masters programmes after fourth year... none particularly interest me though.

Latest

Trending

Trending