The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by platty1907
Thank you soooo much!!! :smile:
Its just a pain that you dont know what the cut off is going to be!
My plan will be try my hardest to beat my previous score and then I shouldnt be too concerned with cut offs as long as I dont go near Sheffield

Sound ok?

Hey :biggrin: We meet again :colone: I'm subscribing to this thread also, since I have four rejections :frown: Hopefully, I can improve my UKCAT score for the next year :crossedf:
Really looking forward to applying with you lot! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wish I had joined TSR before applying last year, it would've been a lot easier having this support :smile:
Reply 142
Original post by fruitfan
where can you work as a hca ?

Hospitals, and I think GPs - but I have a feeling that you might need to do extra courses for working in a GP surgery. I don't know what you'd be doing in a GP surgery otherwise :s-smilie:

I think there are probably HCA's in every ward of a hospital though.
Reply 143
thank youuu
May as well commit to this thread seeing as my impending first choice rejection is looming... didnt even wanna go there anyway :ninja:

HI GUYZ :hi:

Original post by twelve
Hospitals, and I think GPs - but I have a feeling that you might need to do extra courses for working in a GP surgery. I don't know what you'd be doing in a GP surgery otherwise :s-smilie:

I think there are probably HCA's in every ward of a hospital though.

Yeaah you need to go on courses, but then once you get in they send you on courses so that you're more useful and can do phlebotomy and stuff :smile:

The one thing im looking forward to by reapplying is that *IF* my UKCAT score gets better (please god, seriously) ill actually get a bit of choice in where i apply this year, all lmy applications last year were to places that i thought would be ok with my ukcat :frown:
Other than that, not looking forward to being lonely, my best friends being at uni, working full time, ****ing ukcat again, changing my personal statement, explaining to people that, no, i dont have any offers so do **** off and also getting that A grade in chemistry.

Gna be a good year guys :h:
Original post by laurenl93

The one thing im looking forward to by reapplying is that *IF* my UKCAT score gets better (please god, seriously) ill actually get a bit of choice in where i apply this year, all lmy applications last year were to places that i thought would be ok with my ukcat :frown:

Gna be a good year guys :h:

I agree with you on this one :frown:
I know for a fact that I would be sitting with an unconditional offer from Edinburgh if my UKCAT was higher :frown:
Ah :-< UKCAT: one test, so many problems :frown:
Original post by dariadaphne
Ah :-< UKCAT: one test, so many problems :frown:

After googling "who made the ukcat", i see we have only one solution:

Stab all members of the Ukcat consortium Ltd in the face. As well as pearson vue.

seeing as the person who had the first idea of that sodding test does not seem to want people to know who he is. clever bastard.

Anyway, lets get 900 :biggrin:
Reply 149
It must be because he knows how hated he is ::unimpressed:

But its fine, because this year we'll all do amazing, and completely mess up the system :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by dariadaphne
Ah :-&lt; UKCAT: one test, so many problems :frown:

:ditto:
Reply 151
can i apply for med next yr. this yr i aplied to pharmacy but if i stay bck a yr and up my grades cud i apply for med next yr.
Reply 152
Original post by D*Star
can i apply for med next yr. this yr i aplied to pharmacy but if i stay bck a yr and up my grades cud i apply for med next yr.

If you stay back a year, probably not - do you have extenuating circumstances as to why you don't have the grades for med this year?
Original post by garlicbreadman
Are HCAs nurses' bitches? I don't mean that in a derogatory way :redface:

No I know what you mean, but in my experience it depends on where you are and who they are. It tends to depend on the person and the place, usually there is a hierarchy between the different jobs and it can affect the workers in such a way that they appear "bitchier" because of that you may just find them that sometimes, usually the ladies chatting and yapping :rolleyes:

I also found it that the hierarchy is much more obvious in a ward than in an A&E or a reception (dunno what it's called in the NHS but direct translation from the Swedish equivalent it is reception). I think it is because in a ward people are dealing with more longterm diseases and longterm patients that may have been there for a month. They also proabably see more death than in an A&E or a reception where they just check the patients and send them home, to a ward or a consultant etc.

so I guess it depends, I don't work as a HCA though, I only know this through volunteering plus I live in Sweden so maybe a bit different here :dontknow:

but ask tikkitak and dmz :yep:
Original post by laurenl93

Anyway, lets get 900 :biggrin:

Original post by twelve
It must be because he knows how hated he is ::unimpressed:

But its fine, because this year we'll all do amazing, and completely mess up the system :biggrin::biggrin:

haha :smile:) I agree :biggrin: let's get 901 :bunny: I wonder if there are people who ever got a 900 :eek: Anyway, I'm really investing in more prep books this year ... I really don't want to mess it up again :banghead:
what books did you guys use around here except for the all-time famous 600 UKCAT questions ? :biggrin:
Reply 155
What do they do? Are HCAs nurses' bitches? I don't mean that in a derogatory way :redface:

The types of duties include the following:

washing and dressing
feeding
helping people to mobilise
toileting :eek:
bed making
generally assisting with patients overall comfort
monitoring patients conditions by taking temperatures, pulse, respiration's and weight

Haha :lol: nurse's bitch.. pretty much :') :moon:

You have hit the nail on the head with their tasks though :smile:

Although it depends on which shift you are working and which ward tbh
I worked on a rehabilitation ward, where most patients had strokes, were elderly etc. this meant cleaning a lot of :poo: It would be the same if you worked as a HCA in a care home
If you got a job on another ward, I dunno, urology :dontknow: then possibly, you may still have to deal with :poo: but most probably a lot less than on a rehab ward or a nursing home :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
What do they do? Are HCAs nurses' bitches? I don't mean that in a derogatory way :redface:

washing and dressing
feeding
bed making
monitoring patients conditions by taking temperatures, pulse, respiration's and weight

:rofl:

Basically, yes :colone:

Not a nice job at all but decent wage, hours and looks good on applications.

Original post by fruitfan
where can you work as a hca ?

Hospitals mostly, but also GPs and know a few people that are doing it in care homes :h:

washing and dressing
feeding
bed making

I don't wash and dress.
I don't feed.
I don't help people with toileting.

Though I'd agree with nurse's bitch :tongue:, but I'm not as much as I would be if I was working in a big hospital. I work at an ISTC so I have weekends off, and my shifts are any 8 hours between 7am-8pm on weekdays. Also, you have to be 19 or over to be admitted where I work, and you have to be well enough to some extent. Basically, we don't deal with very ill patients as it's just a day case surgery unit.

I'm a fail HCA in some respects. :rofl:
Reply 158
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
I don't wash and dress.
I don't feed.

Though I'd agree with nurse's bitch :tongue:, but I'm not as much as I would be if I was working in a big hospital. I work at an ISTC so I have weekends off, and my shifts are any 8 hours between 7am-8pm on weekdays. Also, you have to be 19 or over to be admitted where I work, and you have to be well enough to some extent. Basically, we don't deal with very ill patients as it's just a day case surgery unit.

:zomg:
Reply 159
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
I don't wash and dress.
I don't feed.

what do you do then? All i do is change diapers and feed and wash them in the morning. Seeing so many old wrinkly bodies naked was slightly traumatic but i was over it after a week...till one of them made sexual noises while i was cleaning her and tried to persuade me for sex :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending