The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4140
Original post by bobfreymoo1811
i've got an offer for bristol now too, and thats AAB! got rejected from nottingham, STILL waiting on warwick! and i dont even want to go there!! haha

out of the three i've got offers from, i liked soas best. but then that's three A's, and i dont think i'm going to get that anymore, i did REALLY badly in all my exams, no exaggeration. don't know what happened, i got B,C,D! :s-smilie: ahhhhhhhhhhh! panicking now. i'm thinking of firming bristol, cos i'm really unlikely to get to SOAS now...

wow, sounds like your UCAS form was nicely decorated with all of those experiences- no wonder they accepted you, got plenty of experience, ayy? LOL :smile:

Sorry about your exams. But your offer from Bristol is amazing and personally I would go there over SOAS, it has a much more respected law department than SOAS and it's a lower offer.
Reply 4141
Insurance Warwick or QMUL?
Original post by 2011law
Insurance Warwick or QMUL?

Where is your firm?
Reply 4143
I have spent the night reading through this thread and it has been very informative!

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

Heres my UCAS:

UCL Rejected
Nottingham Rejected
Birmingham AAA
Queen Mary (Law and Politics) AAB
Bristol (Waiting)

LNAT: 17
GCSES: 3 A* 6 A 1 B
AS: English Literature B History B Philosophy A Government and Politics A
A2 Predicted: English Literature A History A* Government and Politics A*

Trying to work out my options, if I get an offer from Bristol I would firm it (I am rather pessimistic about the possibility of getting an offer at the moment, so I need some advice on other options).

I chose Law and Politics at Queen Mary so I didn't have solid AAA offers (if any) and at the time I loved the idea of being able to carry on politics. However I don't want the joint degree to be a disadvantage for me career-wise and although it is a qualifying law degree I can't help but feel worried!

I am excited to have the whole 'independent uni experience' and so really don't like the idea of Birmingham, QMUL is therefore sounding great because I love the idea of studying in London and having access to facilities and studying in a university which has had much praise (and criticism!) on this forum. I am positive I can get the grades needed for Bristol/Birmingham but I wish I had more of an idea of what options I have.

Heres my questions:
1. If I achieve the grades needed is it possible for me to change my course at QMUL from Law and Politics to Law?
2. What would you recommend out of Birmingham Law and Queen Mary Law and Politics?
3. What are my chances at Bristol? (asking this when I'm really expecting a reply before the end of March so should know soon anyway if its an option)
Original post by Vinchenko
Ah, Stephen Fry's college! Seems to be a popular choice of universities; I know I'd actually be happy going to either...did you go to the Durham open days earlier this week? Thanks, you too!

No, I meant to,
but my friend who was giving me a lift pulled out,
and I found out I got an A* in my history exam shortly before i was meant to go,
so as long as my coursework (which is 40% of the grade) dosn't get moderated down dramatically, i'm now pretty much into cambridge :biggrin:
so I decided not to pay the 70 quid train fair (durham's a bit of a treck for me)
but yeah what was it like?
I've never actually visited durham in the flesh, just breifly seen it out the train window; looked nice though!!
Original post by High As A Kite
I would say Cambridge, but because it's deferred, you must consider whether you are willing to pay £9,000 next year. In light of this, I say firm LSE>

Ye I agree, but for me its not really the fees that i care about since i can get a student loan, i just want to finished education asap lol, so ye ill probs firm LSE- need the grades tho lol!
Reply 4146
Original post by tomlocke489
Hi, I've received all 5 offers but I don't know which one to firm. I've got Leeds, York, Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle.

All offers are AAA so I'm equally likely/unlikely to get into any of them.

Based purely on reputation which would you firm?

Similar offers to me (but I'm still waiting for Warwick). York I think will gain its' reputation quite quickly in Law (as it has in medicine) so the choice here is do you think you would enjoy problem based learning more than traditional lectures?
Again, I assume you wouldn't have applied to do the course if the syle of teaching did not appeal to you. Ignoring league tables Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and liverpool all have a good reputation in Law. My brother who is in his third year at Sheffield doing International law has said Magic Circle firms that come to Sheffield really look for personality not just degree and classification. Yes, you need a minimum of a 2:1 from any of the universities you have offers from but then it is down to interview technique.

As to your offers, Liverpool offer is usually AAA/360 points which is a good insurance as you can get A* A* C and still get in (including General Studies) which for me at least takes the pressure off.

Enjoy deciding, at least we have a decision to make. I have a few friends who have no offers and are now facing £9000 tuition fees!
Original post by stafford1992
No, I meant to,
but my friend who was giving me a lift pulled out,
and I found out I got an A* in my history exam shortly before i was meant to go,
so as long as my coursework (which is 40% of the grade) dosn't get moderated down dramatically, i'm now pretty much into cambridge :biggrin:
so I decided not to pay the 70 quid train fair (durham's a bit of a treck for me)
but yeah what was it like?
I've never actually visited durham in the flesh, just breifly seen it out the train window; looked nice though!!

Ah ok, and yeah, given my Jan exam results the chances of me not going are fairly slim! *crosses fingers* Anyway, I really liked it, it's one of my favourite cities anyway, but the university and faculty are nice too, and my college was AMAZING - it's an old one, and it's a whole 30ft from the cathedral...anyway I really liked it, open day was actually lots of fun (current students took us all out into durham for the evening....) and the weather was amazing too! Bit of a trek for me as well (5hrs by train) but I was going with friends so not so bad. The only downsides about law at durham are the tutorials, which are once a fortnight for 2 out of the 3 terms, and even then you have up to 12 people in them! Also, the rooms are so crowded people sometimes have to sit on each others laps...on top of which, you probably do 1/4 at the absolute most of the number of essays you would at Cambridge, and so on...basically, an amazing place, but the teaching really is a step down, even if it is still pretty world class.
Reply 4148
Ah ok, and yeah, given my Jan exam results the chances of me not going are fairly slim! *crosses fingers* Anyway, I really liked it, it's one of my favourite cities anyway, but the university and faculty are nice too, and my college was AMAZING - it's an old one, and it's a whole 30ft from the cathedral...anyway I really liked it, open day was actually lots of fun (current students took us all out into durham for the evening....) and the weather was amazing too! Bit of a trek for me as well (5hrs by train) but I was going with friends so not so bad. The only downsides about law at durham are the tutorials, which are once a fortnight for 2 out of the 3 terms, and even then you have up to 12 people in them! Also, the rooms are so crowded people sometimes have to sit on each others laps...on top of which, you probably do 1/4 at the absolute most of the number of essays you would at Cambridge, and so on...basically, an amazing place, but the teaching really is a step down, even if it is still pretty world class.

I like how suddenly 12 people in a class is an insane amount :lol:

Every class I've ever been in has had at least 25 students.
Original post by Mann18
I like how suddenly 12 people in a class is an insane amount :lol:

Every class I've ever been in has had at least 25 students.

Haha very fair point! That said, I had 7 people in my maths set last year (state school, idk how!) and you REALLY could tell the difference between that and, say, my physics class of 15. So I do think it makes a difference, especially when you're going through essays you've written and so on...but I appreciate how lucky oxbridge are to be able to afford to offer such intensive, small group teaching!
Reply 4150
Haha very fair point! That said, I had 7 people in my maths set last year (state school, idk how!) and you REALLY could tell the difference between that and, say, my physics class of 15. So I do think it makes a difference, especially when you're going through essays you've written and so on...but I appreciate how lucky oxbridge are to be able to afford to offer such intensive, small group teaching!

Played with just 7 people! My school's French GCSE class had 3 students in it I think, which is quite impressive, if only to demonstrate how much people hated French.

I agree, I hear of friends who say how small their seminars are with 10 people and how it's impossible to fall behind and get away with it and remember we'll be in groups of 1/2/3 and shudder with fear.

I get the point about essay feedback, it was always quite annoying to not get quite as detailed information on essays as one could, although I have to say, I think state school teachers wioth groups of 25+ (at least in my opinion do a pretty good job.)

EDIT: Also, tell a lie, I think my A-Level history class had about 17 people, that is my bad.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4151
Original post by EverLearningFool
Where is your firm?

LSE. ; )
but i'm in a dilemma now.
should I insurance Warwick or QMUL since QMUL seems more reputable in law but as a school overall Warwick looks better.
Original post by 2011law
LSE. ; )
but i'm in a dilemma now.
should I insurance Warwick or QMUL since QMUL seems more reputable in law but as a school overall Warwick looks better.

Warwick is more reputable all around. QMUL is ranked well in the league tables, but this has not yet been mirrored by hiring partners.
Original post by Mann18
Played with just 7 people! My school's French GCSE class had 3 students in it I think, which is quite impressive, if only to demonstrate how much people hated French.

I agree, I hear of friends who say how small their seminars are with 10 people and how it's impossible to fall behind and get away with it and remember we'll be in groups of 1/2/3 and shudder with fear.

I get the point about essay feedback, it was always quite annoying to not get quite as detailed information on essays as one could, although I have to say, I think state school teachers wioth groups of 25+ (at least in my opinion do a pretty good job.)

EDIT: Also, tell a lie, I think my A-Level history class had about 17 people, that is my bad.

Not quite sure how you managed to get some negative rep on this! Tried to balance it out but TSR won't let me...anyway, yeah, my school does manage to get down to pretty small class sizes even though it's a state school, but then we do get some outside funding as well. I think essentially the smaller the better, and that law schools offer the best they can afford - though Leicester manages to get it down to 8 people per tutorial, somehow - and this is why most subjects are better at Oxbridge, people just put more time into teaching you. That said, some teachers manage really well with large class groups, but then some, not so much...even a very good state grammar like mine which attracts very good teachers (allegedly) has a couple of real bad ones, including one of my current chemistry teachers - barely half of us even bother showing up for lessons these days, you could teach yourself more effectively...
Original post by bobfreymoo1811
i've got an offer for bristol now too, and thats AAB! got rejected from nottingham, STILL waiting on warwick! and i dont even want to go there!! haha

out of the three i've got offers from, i liked soas best. but then that's three A's, and i dont think i'm going to get that anymore, i did REALLY badly in all my exams, no exaggeration. don't know what happened, i got B,C,D! :s-smilie: ahhhhhhhhhhh! panicking now. i'm thinking of firming bristol, cos i'm really unlikely to get to SOAS now...

wow, sounds like your UCAS form was nicely decorated with all of those experiences- no wonder they accepted you, got plenty of experience, ayy? LOL :smile:

Well done that is fantastic! Meh oh well about Nottingham, Bristol is fab! You didn't do that badly! You can always resit remember... couldn't you firm SOAS and put Bristol as your back up?

I guess I have had quite a bit of experience, but then so many people have amazing applications, I honestly never thought I'd get in.

X
Original post by steffanie
This was my thinking, I was set on firming UCL at first, but then visited Durham and now have no idea where to pick :tongue:
I really liked it, but I think it's the fact that I already live there that's putting me off a bit, I love Durham but it would be nice to have a bit of a change!
Did you go to the open days this week?

I think Durham is a lovely part of the world, and honestly don't be put off by staying at home and studying - you can still have the full student experience with half as much expense and subsequent debt! Everyone's a winner! I went away to Uni in Bath and was still paying off my student loans etc for ages after graduating; I had a great time but could have had just as good a time at home.

The reason I'm on this thread is because I'm looking at doing an LLB via the graduate route with the University of London (of which UCL is a constituent part); what do people think of the UCL/UoL LLB and its reputation?
Reply 4156
Original post by dinglemeister
I think Durham is a lovely part of the world, and honestly don't be put off by staying at home and studying - you can still have the full student experience with half as much expense and subsequent debt! Everyone's a winner! I went away to Uni in Bath and was still paying off my student loans etc for ages after graduating; I had a great time but could have had just as good a time at home.

The reason I'm on this thread is because I'm looking at doing an LLB via the graduate route with the University of London (of which UCL is a constituent part); what do people think of the UCL/UoL LLB and its reputation?

In terms of reputation, it would appear that the deciding factor is the particular UoL college you take your degree with, LSE, UCL & KCL being on top. There is some sharing of facilities (i.e. if you're a UCL student, you can access the King's library, for instance), but beyond that the UoL is a fairly loose association.

And in terms of overall reputation, those three would fall in the "band" just behind Oxbridge. This post, written by a practising lawyer who has studied at both King's and Oxford, IIRC, is probably the best guide on TSR: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by riever86
In terms of reputation, it would appear that the deciding factor is the particular UoL college you take your degree with, LSE, UCL & KCL being on top. There is some sharing of facilities (i.e. if you're a UCL student, you can access the King's library, for instance), but beyond that the UoL is a fairly loose association.

And in terms of overall reputation, those three would fall in the "band" just behind Oxbridge. This post, written by a practising lawyer who has studied at both King's and Oxford, IIRC, is probably the best guide on TSR: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

Thanks very much for that info, very useful to know!
Anyone still waiting to hear from kings?
Reply 4159
Nottingham - 36
QMUL - 36 (HL 666)
Warwick - 38 (HL 18)

Still waiting on King's and LSE...

Latest

Trending

Trending