The Student Room Group

Does listening to grime turn you stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Oh my gosh, its d double, Bluku Bluku.

*ddoublee
If you think grime is for stupid people then maybe this will change your mind: LOWKEY

i have never seen anyone better that, he is clearly very talented and intelligent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Rory :)
And I was thinking you were three.

Laughs all round...
Reply 43
Original post by Jingers
Their 'Ready, Aim, Fire' intro >>>>>>

:afro:
Reply 44
Original post by TomInce6666
Again?? Being mainstream doesnt mean the songs get ****ter, just appeal to a wider/different audience.

Im a Kano man through and through :P

Its just Chipmunk that annoys me in the new one. Also ironically pow 04 just came up on itunes :P

Yeah Pow 2011 aint that good. Chipmunk, as he is nowadays, was awful. What happened to the one that was spitting heavy bars. Have you heard him in Tinchy Stryder's song- Game over. Chipmunk and Giggs were awful. If you thought Chip Diddy Chip was bad, listen to Chipmunk in Game Over. Chipmunk should just retire. He's crap now and only in it for money. What a waste of talent.

Also, I don't get the hype about Giggs. He's slower than a tortoise. 'Look what the cat dragged in' had a nice tune but he's not that good himself. Like someone else pointed out, I miss old skool garage music.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by robin22391
If you think grime is for stupid people then maybe this will change your mind: LOWKEY

i have never seen anyone better that, he is clearly very talented and intelligent.

lol at Lowkey. He's the UK version of Immortal Technique, i.e. someone who talks ****. One line about how good he is, one line about Palestine, one line about what others should do and how they should act and then one song doing what he's telling others what not to do hahahaha.

Also, ABC, 123, PS3, COD bars <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
I've listened to it for years - back in the days of Bearman and Mr Wong (lol).

Whether or not I'm stupid is a debate to be had, but I doubt my intellect has been shaped by listening to such music.
Reply 47
It does!!! Because of stupid grime im tryiing to fix up my vocab!!! I regrett lisning to it and i regret going to a school which almost everyone was obsessed with it. Seriously it has a strong influence in your general conversations and stuff. Im trying so hard to fix it, before i end up at an interview sounding like a bloody retard!
Original post by Superstar6318
You won't get none of those CD's back.

Yeah, Tempa T has to be one of the worst lyricists (if I can call him that) I've ever heard. He is just shouting about rubbish and is completely unsynchronised with the beat. :erm:
Original post by whyumadtho
Yeah, Tempa T has to be one of the worst lyricists (if I can call him that) I've ever heard. He is just shouting about rubbish and is completely unsynchronised with the beat. :erm:

Yeah it's true he doesn't have any lyrical talent.

Plan B certainly does though, can't wait til' he creates a new album and goes back to his roots of rapping.
Only if you're stupid before you listen to it, then think it's done something.
Most played artist on last.fm is a Grime group, I most certainly am not stup DERP DERP HURRR DURRRR....

No seriously, OP you're a fag.
No, but making threads like this does.
Original post by Jingers
lol at Lowkey. He's the UK version of Immortal Technique, i.e. someone who talks ****. One line about how good he is, one line about Palestine, one line about what others should do and how they should act and then one song doing what he's telling others what not to do hahahaha.

Also, ABC, 123, PS3, COD bars <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

show me a better lyrical demonstration, he doesnt mention palestine in that one anyway.

he goes through like 5 rap styles in one song, he wins. tbh i dont care about his politics.

look at these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0D5bOF36Y&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLklnMWl63k

top one better, no?
Reply 54
Original post by robin22391
show me a better lyrical demonstration, he doesnt mention palestine in that one anyway.

he goes through like 5 rap styles in one song, he wins. tbh i dont care about his politics.

look at these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0D5bOF36Y&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLklnMWl63k

top one better, no?

But who had the originality in making that song? It's not hard to copy a good idea and tweak it.
Reply 55
Grime is jokes!! It usually is kinda comedic, which is why I love it.
Oh and of course, SKANKING
Reply 56
Original post by Willum Infanta
Most played artist on last.fm is a Grime group, I most certainly am not stup DERP DERP HURRR DURRRR....

No seriously, OP you're a fag.

Thanks bro
Reply 57
Lol what. Also..grime was decent when I was 14. Im 18 now, it all seems very 'pop' like. If it went back to Roll Deep (pre-Big Money Sound, so like Shake a Leg), Wiley (pre- Wearing my Rolex), Ghetts (the first album only) and pretty much everyone pre-2008. Oh and JME, serious. That was the golden age.

I had my dubstep phase after Grime but then everyone started listening to it suddenly a million and one DJ's popped out of the woodwork so I'm back on to American Hip Hop. Give me Cypress Hill or Immortal Technique anyday over 'UK hip-hop' or actually, any UK music.
There are plenty of thick people who listen to grime, but at the same time there are plenty of very intelligent people who listen to it as well, and an even larger number of people with around average intelligence who enjoy it. Music taste has little to no bearing on intelligence, there are plenty of people who listen to fairly moronic music that are actually very sharp themselves, while equally there are a lot of people who prefer "difficult" or "clever" music who are complete morons. It is true that grime is often very popular among people from council estates and deprived areas who might not have benefited from a prosperous background and so may have missed out on the same education that a richer kid will have undergone, but this is less due to lack of intelligence but lack of opportunity, which it would be ridiculous to blame grime for. As for me personally I love grime music, and while I'm not claiming to be a genius or anything like that I like to think that I'm at least fairly capable of reasoning and functioning at a moderately intelligent level.
I like grime and im not stupid, yet... haha

JME, Skepta, Kano etc

Quick Reply

Latest