The Student Room Group

I think my mother has OCD

It's the summer holidays and I spend 80% of my time with my mother. Because I'm not at school her habits are becoming more obvious. Every morning she cleans just about everything (door/drawer handles, TV remotes, pens, the handles you use to turn blinds up and down). This is because of family members who don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, which she gets upset about all the time. It obviously makes her miserable but she doesn't stop doing it. I tried to make things easier for her by doing the cleaning before she woke up but she still did it anyway because she doesn't trust me to clean properly.
I just don't know what to do because sometimes it feels like she doesn't clean because it makes her happy but because she feels she has a compulsion to.

Any thoughts of what I can do?
Reply 1
She is literally hoovering right now
Nobody cleans because it makes them happy. It is a chore.

It does beg the question, why are family members not washing their hands after going to the toilet? This is basic hygeine and your mum will be a lot less stressed if the rest of the family did their bit.
Reply 3
They refuse to which does make things difficult. I understand where she is coming from but I don't have any siblings and live in a village which means I am with her most of the time.
Original post by Anonymous
They refuse to which does make things difficult. I understand where she is coming from but I don't have any siblings and live in a village which means I am with her most of the time.

Why refuse to do something so simple as wash your hands? Are they trying to push her over the edge? Dude, your family sucks.

Whether or not your mother has OCD tendencies is irrelevant at this point. This sort of thing can be worsened and even triggered by stress, and they are stressing her out. Is it possible that they are doing this intentionally because they know it upsets her?
Reply 5
Original post by Veet Voojagig
Why refuse to do something so simple as wash your hands? Are they trying to push her over the edge? Dude, your family sucks.

Whether or not your mother has OCD tendencies is irrelevant at this point. This sort of thing can be worsened and even triggered by stress, and they are stressing her out. Is it possible that they are doing this intentionally because they know it upsets her?

That could potentially be true. Sometimes she asks them and then they say they are, which is a lie.
Cleaning isn't something people are often happy to do. It is just something that needs doing. If people aren't washing their hands then it is understandable that touch points (e.g. door handles) and regularly used items would require a daily clean. I don't think this is unusual when you live with people who are highly likely spreading bacteria around communal spaces.
Reply 7
It’s common, the pandemic fuelled it too. While is not good to live a life of grime, our immune system is there for a reason. Not sure what can be done about it though
Original post by Anonymous

If you don't have any siblings who are these other family members? They really should respect your mum's wishes and do such simple things like washing their hands and not stress her out so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending