The Student Room Group

Sixth form college giving us ridiculous amounts of HW

It's coming closer to exams, and colleges is continually telling us how we should be revising. However it's almost impossible to finish my homework, never mind revise. For example we get 1 hours homework after every biology lesson, which in reality takes about 1h 45 at times. Then I'm getting like 3 end of unit tests in a week, with a mock exam aswel, then another mock exam next week. And all of thats from biology and physics alone. The unit 2's are being massivley rushed, it's overwhelming.
Is anyone elses college like this? Or are my college going about it wrong.
Honestly,
Man up and deal with it.
I am forced to do 5 A levels, one completely self taught, i've had 3 mocks in the last 2 weeks, I get set 1-2 hours of homework a day and I work 3 days a week, 2 of them are after school. I also only have 3 free lessons a week which last an hour and am in school 5 days a week 8:30 - 3:30. I manage to still have a social life and I get in a good few hours revision every week.

Just learn to organise your time, I find that writing a 'to-do' list really helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Man up, you'll have even more work at university.
Original post by canthardlywait
It's coming closer to exams, and colleges is continually telling us how we should be revising. However it's almost impossible to finish my homework, never mind revise. For example we get 1 hours homework after every biology lesson, which in reality takes about 1h 45 at times. Then I'm getting like 3 end of unit tests in a week, with a mock exam aswel, then another mock exam next week. And all of thats from biology and physics alone. The unit 2's are being massivley rushed, it's overwhelming.

Original post by Bubbles0ox
Honestly,
Man up and deal with it.
I am forced to do 5 A levels, one completely self taught, i've had 3 mocks in the last 2 weeks, I get set 1-2 hours of homework a day and I work 3 days a week, 2 of them are after school. I also only have 3 free lessons a week which last an hour and am in school 5 days a week 8:30 - 3:30.

Just learn to organise you time, i find that writing a 'to-do' list really helps

Original post by Hylean
Man up, you'll have even more work at university.

What those two said.

You're going to have a lot of work at university. They're only trying to prepare you. The better you deal with this work, the better your final grades will be. They're doing it for your own good, but if you honestly feel like you have too much on your plate and you can't deal at all, speak to someone.
Reply 4
Im getting zilch h/w
being spoonfed unit 2's still
lifes good (Y)
Reply 5

But if you revise for the mock tests then it makes it easier to revise the real thing.
Reply 6
Boo hoo.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
But if you revise for the mock tests then it makes it easier to revise the real thing.

It does, but when one lesson like biology is throwing end of topic tests, mock exams left right and centre it'''s forcing me to neglect my other subjects. Is it neccesarry for my biology to give homework after every single lesson, which somehow is predicted to take us half an hour, but in reality takes 1 hour and a half.

Sounds like a holiday.

I'm the same but you just have to learn to live with it.

In physics I get 2 half hour assignments a week. In chemistry I get 2-4 hours of questions/research per week. In biology get a good hour and a half to 2 hours each week. Maths an hour or so then another hour in further maths.
I also volunteer in a care home, do enrichment helping teaching Y9 maths students, do a duke of Edinburgh award and go out with mates and have my fair time of relaxing.

So yeah it's hard to get revision done but you just have to manage time, some days having to prioritise work over chilling out or watching some T.V. - you need to know what's important.
Reply 10
i would say the same

but then.....

i would also say/admit i fail at managing my time :colonhash:

:facepalm:
Original post by Bubbles0ox
Honestly,
Man up and deal with it.
I am forced to do 5 A levels, one completely self taught, i've had 3 mocks in the last 2 weeks, I get set 1-2 hours of homework a day and I work 3 days a week, 2 of them are after school. I also only have 3 free lessons a week which last an hour and am in school 5 days a week 8:30 - 3:30. I manage to still have a social life and I get in a good few hours revision every week.

Just learn to organise your time, I find that writing a 'to-do' list really helps.

Would be impressive if you did sciences/maths.
Reply 12

We've been told we should be doing at least 10 hours a week outside of school - which includes homework and past papers they give us.

Did you have january exams OP? I did nowhere near enough revision so I'll be doing more like 15 hours a week . . .
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Would be impressive if you did sciences/maths.

Shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest