The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway or Southampton for Psychology?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
I said on another post I want my university to be like a second home to me. So I want there to be a life at the university all week etc... I'm not party animal in the slightest but I like a sense of 'vibrancy'.

Rhul student life is as vibrant as you make it really. There's always some sort of event going on and there are a lot of societies that frequently run their own events. Of course, it is proportionate to the student size but there is certainly a good student atmosphere. I don't think the uni is dead on weekends as someone suggested.
Original post by roww
Yeah it is from what the housing application page is saying. People holding unconditionals have first choice as well apparently. My name's Rowena :smile: I'm eurasian so I'll probably be the girl that looks a bit asian but doesn't at the same time so I should be pretty easy to spot lol :biggrin:

Yep, applied for it two days after they started accepting applications. Got Reid hall down as my first choice - nearer to my department and also with the room type that I want. :cool: Fingers crossed I get it since it really is perfect for everything I want. I also think I saw you on the other RHUL accommodation thread a few days ago - you're one of the people that don't drink right?

Yep.
Reply 22
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Rhul student life is as vibrant as you make it really. There's always some sort of event going on and there are a lot of societies that frequently run their own events. Of course, it is proportionate to the student size but there is certainly a good student atmosphere. I don't think the uni is dead on weekends as someone suggested.

I like universities that have a 'studios' atmosphere. Do you have any idea where SOTON stands on that perspective?
I like universities that have a 'studios' atmosphere. Do you have any idea where SOTON stands on that perspective?

Do you mean studious? No idea, mate. I go to Rhul.
Reply 24
Original post by roww
My name's Rowena :smile: I'm eurasian so I'll probably be the girl that looks a bit asian but doesn't at the same time so I should be pretty easy to spot lol :biggrin:

Ah, well I'm British and fairly small. If I spot anyone like you I'll ask :wink:
Reply 25
Do you mean studious? No idea, mate. I go to Rhul.

That's the one :wink: is RHUL quite studious then?
Reply 26
Original post by ibysaiyan
Yep.

:five:
That's the one :wink: is RHUL quite studious then?

I think if you're expecting university to be students sat around discussing theories and contemplating the literature in a lively academic debate, you're going to be severely disappointed.

University is university. Students are jackasses. But, when it comes to it, they generally know their stuff.

I will be looking forward to see you in September,cannot wait.I have already started to do further reading over my course. Somewhere on the RHUL site it was suggested what books to pre-order for the respective courses,the only thing keeping me away from study mode is TSR ;p
I will be looking forward to see you in September,cannot wait.I have already started to do further reading over my course. Somewhere on the RHUL site it was suggested what books to pre-order for the respective courses,the only thing keeping me away from study mode is TSR ;p

DO NOT pre-order any books.

Buy them as you need them, and get them second hand from amazon marketplace. Don't let them dupe you into spending hundreds of quid on their textbook packages either.

Buy them as you need them, and get them second hand from amazon marketplace. Don't let them dupe you into spending hundreds of quid on their textbook packages either.

I thought about that and as a result have my amazon basket full. It's flexible you could either get a 2nd hand with hard cover,etc or a new one for much less.
Thanks for the tip :smile:
Reply 31

I know right! Honestly just want to fast forward a few months and start university tomorrow! Getting a bit fed up of A-levels now... I all I want to do is just study psychology on it's own. :biggrin:

But then I have to get all this coursework out of the way before I can do any sort of reading though so sad times for me :frown:

:eek: Good thing you've said that now, I was thinking about pre-ordering my books over the holidays so I would be more organised. I presumed the textbook packages were the best offer? :confused: So should I not bother with the packages sold on campus and get all the books second hand off Amazon instead?
Original post by roww

:eek: Good thing you've said that now, I was thinking about pre-ordering my books over the holidays so I would be more organised. I presumed the textbook packages were the best offer? :confused: So should I not bother with the packages sold on campus and get all the books second hand off Amazon instead?

The packages are a rip-off. I've bought texts for literally £2-3 on the marketplace before.

Nine times out of ten you won't use them anyway. Textbooks are obsolete and you shouldn't really be referencing them in your coursework anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest