The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twelve
No, don't be downhearted :frown: I had feedback from Leeds as well, and basically my PS was terrible for them. But feedback from Sheffield said that I had a strong personal statement - just because Leeds didn't think so, doesn't mean everyone will :smile:

And all it means is that you will have to work hard to get through next year, and you've basicially had a test run of your application! Just improve on what you need to and be careful where you apply :smile:

Did you write to or email the uni's? (about feedback I mean)
Reply 321
Original post by platty1907
Just got my feedback from Leeds and it's not good :frown: The only section I scored well in was the reference. I wasn't even close to getting an interview. I just don't know what to do now, I feel as though I've got no hope of ever doing medicine... :frown:

get a good UKCAT and you'll find enough uni's that'll give you an interview. Got mine today and i got 9/16. Doing 4 1/2 a levels is simply screwing yourself lol. I got 22/24 for ps so you'd think ps is good for an interview at Keele. All messed up but every is different so because Leeds didn't appreciate your application doesn't mean others won't
Reply 322
Original post by Quackers93
Did you write to or email the uni's? (about feedback I mean)

I emailed them all, but Sheffield and Leeds sent letters for the reply.
Original post by twelve
I emailed them all, but Sheffield and Leeds sent letters for the reply.

Ah right, i'll email them then :smile: Thanking you :tongue:
Original post by twelve
No, don't be downhearted :frown: I had feedback from Leeds as well, and basically my PS was terrible for them. But feedback from Sheffield said that I had a strong personal statement - just because Leeds didn't think so, doesn't mean everyone will :smile:

And all it means is that you will have to work hard to get through next year, and you've basicially had a test run of your application! Just improve on what you need to and be careful where you apply :smile:

What score did you get for PS? i got 14/24 :frown:
Reply 325
Only just spotted this. Good on you guys for taking the plunge. I know it can work out brilliantly. Good luck to you all!
You'l never top the 2011 thread though. :wink:
In case any of you guys are interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb30f

"Junior Doctors: Your Life in Their Hands" is an interesting series that might be of use for prospective applicants (bear in mind I wouldn't know how realistic it is)!
Reply 327
Original post by bigAsh
Yeah that's what I meant. I emailed the admissions lady at Bradford and she said that we would be allowed to make a UCAS application for medicine in September even if we were going on the clinical science course, but she also said that they wouldn't support such an application so we need to seek support of our college. But yeah I guess I was lucky :smile: Oh we also need to email the universities we want to apply to as well and ask them if they would accept the application :smile:

I'm sort of feeling the same though in terms of just taking a gap year, but I'm not sure, it feels weird to take myself out of education... who knew it would grow on me :tongue:
It does have its drawbacks, but it can't hurt to keep your options open. Anyway now that we will have our A levels and extra work experience, we're more likely to get that important offer!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I get an interview and I wish you success for the future!

Same to you bro.
G.Luck!
Reply 328

I just got a measly 16/24 =[
Leeds are just weird.
Reply 329
Original post by dmz
get a good UKCAT and you'll find enough uni's that'll give you an interview. Got mine today and i got 9/16. Doing 4 1/2 a levels is simply screwing yourself lol. I got 22/24 for ps so you'd think ps is good for an interview at Keele. All messed up but every is different so because Leeds didn't appreciate your application doesn't mean others won't

Wow, you must have an amazing p.s.
Did you manage to get an interview?
What were your GCSE's if you don't mind me asking, because I had the same score:s-smilie:
Reply 330
Original post by Jin3011
Wow, you must have an amazing p.s.
Did you manage to get an interview?
What were your GCSE's if you don't mind me asking, because I had the same score:s-smilie:

not really, lol. My ps was aimed at Leeds, i had a low score for responsibility last year so i fixed my short comings but then motivation went down by 1. Lol. Anyway my gcse's ****ed me so i needed full marks for an interview

a*,5a, 4b, c.
Reply 331
Original post by dmz
not really, lol. My ps was aimed at Leeds, i had a low score for responsibility last year so i fixed my short comings but then motivation went down by 1. Lol. Anyway my gcse's ****ed me so i needed full marks for an interview

a*,5a, 4b, c.

Damn those GCSE's.
One never realises their importance at the time:frown:
Leeds seemed to think that I had no other interests; basically saying I had no life.
So I was wandering what sort of extra-curric stuff did you have in your p.s ?
Sorry for all the questions, but you're just more wiser than I am:redface:.
~Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 332

Yep, 14 as well. I lost most of my marks for Responsibility, and Motivation and Interest. But I had full marks for extra-curricular activities :smile: I don't really know how I could have improved the responsibility section really ://
Original post by twelve
Yep, 14 as well. I lost most of my marks for Responsibility, and Motivation and Interest. But I had full marks for extra-curricular activities :smile: I don't really know how I could have improved the responsibility section really ://

Is this Leeds? If so I was 2 marks off an interview last year and my PS fell down mainly in the responsibility section. Leeds LOVE it if you do a lot of sports and I think it's that that leads to a low score in responsibility. Correct me if I'm wrong though :smile:.
Reply 334
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Is this Leeds? If so I was 2 marks off an interview last year and my PS fell down mainly in the responsibility section. Leeds LOVE it if you do a lot of sports and I think it's that that leads to a low score in responsibility. Correct me if I'm wrong though :smile:.

I see :smile: I wasn't sure whether it meant showing that I know the responsibility a doctor has, or deonstrating responsibility I already have - or a bit of both!
Reply 335
I'm starting to think that Leeds look at quantity and not quality when assessing applications.
Original post by Jin3011
I'm starting to think that Leeds look at quantity and not quality when assessing applications.

They... I'm not really sure what they look at. They're just one of those unis whose criteria is more ambiguous. Although, I can say this year my PS was a lot more extra-curricular and work experience based as opposed to last year and it was this year I got an offer, whereas last year I didn't even get to the interview stage.
Original post by twelve

What was your score breakdown? Mine was 4/6 motivation & insight, 4/6 social awareness, responsibility 2/6 and non academic achievements 4/6.
I got 6/6 for reference and 9/16 on academics. They clearly don't like predicted grades, I can hardly get better predictions than 3A* and 1A
Reply 338
Okay, so here's a question...
The University of Glamorgan and Cardiff university offer this 'widening access' scheme - if you do a bsc hons degree in medical sciences at Glamorgan uni, they select 'up to ten' students in the second year, who, if they achieve a 1st or a 2:1 at the end, and fulfil Cardiff admissions criteria, can be moved onto the Cardiff medical course, starting from the second year.
There are places for this Medical Sciences degree at Glamorgan on UCAS Extra... should I apply?! Or stick with the 'take a gap year and reapply' plan?
Original post by tiggix
Okay, so here's a question...
The University of Glamorgan and Cardiff university offer this 'widening access' scheme - if you do a bsc hons degree in medical sciences at Glamorgan uni, they select 'up to ten' students in the second year, who, if they achieve a 1st or a 2:1 at the end, and fulfil Cardiff admissions criteria, can be moved onto the Cardiff medical course, starting from the second year.
There are places for this Medical Sciences degree at Glamorgan on UCAS Extra... should I apply?! Or stick with the 'take a gap year and reapply' plan?

Up to ten - from what I've heard, it's usually a lot less. Personally, with grades in hand, I think there's a greater chance of getting in through reapplying than there is through a widening access scheme. But, it's up to you which risk you'd rather take - a gap year where you may not get in and have to either reapply once more or take your 5th choice/go through extra/clearing. Although, have 4 more choices and a stronger application - a year to do as you please but also the increased fees. Or, opt to go through the widening access scheme where you may me moved onto the medical course however if not continue with a different degree and then have to go through grad entry assuming you still want to do medicine following it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending