The Student Room Group

What did you get for packed lunch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliluvschoc
I feel terrible that I would whine about things like that. Though if she could afford it we'd get a treat like a sponge cake or something. And then I'd just get annoyed when they ran out. It's kind of embarrassing thinking about how important having a cake was... I'm sure she felt bad that she couldn't give us 'better'.

Though once she gave me a pokemon lunchbox out of the blue and I was the coolest kid in town.

:moon:

Why weren't you on free school meals if you were really that 'poor'?

Now that I look back I find it ironic that at school there was no stigma whatsoever attached to claiming free school meals, but anyone who brought in supermarket brand things was picked on, or without a good enough lunchbox.
Reply 21
Original post by Elissabeth
Why weren't you on free school meals if you were really that 'poor'?

Now that I look back I find it ironic that at school there was no stigma whatsoever attached to claiming free school meals, but anyone who brought in supermarket brand things was picked on, or without a good enough lunchbox.

We had free school meals for about 3-4 years I remember. Then switched to packed lunch for a bit :dontknow: I wonder if she got just over the boundary, whatever that may be.

edit: I do remember begging to go to packed lunches for some reason or other, then I think mum must have took me off the school meals list.
(edited 13 years ago)
Food generally.
Reply 23
My mum use to pack my lunch, but i always knew what i would end up with, it was always the same. Strawberry Jam sandwich, a penguin bar, walkers ready salted crisps (My favorite) and a carton of ribena drink, oh, not forgetting the banana. I always left that untouched, i hated fruits, i remember my mum use to give me the long hard stare when she opened my lunchbox the next day and found the banana which had gone a litte mushy and brown. :/

10+ years later, and i still hate those damn bananas. I loved my scooby doo lunchbox though :h:
I made my own packed lunches, only I couldn't be bothered so I'd just take an apple. No wonder I'm so damn skinny. :erm:
The usual fare, but what I do remember is always having a club bar :biggrin: The purple raison one.... Good times, good times...
I always had school dinners. I felt sorry for the children who had packed lunches because our school dinners were amazing! I always felt for the children who had to have boring old sandwiches while I was tucking into my lovely lasagne or shepherd's pie :smile:
My mum was a health freak. I remember once the teacher picked up my lunchbox laughing and showed it to the class. It had FIVE satsumas in, no joke. Otherwise I had a cheese salad sandwich and yoghurt but I prefered frubes because then you didnt have a lunchbox smeared with yoghurt from the spoon. I remember knowing there was a chocolate muller crunchy corner in my lunchbox once, and as soon as the teacher said it's lunchtime, went 'yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss' as you do when you're 7 years old. Didn't have crisps until I was older, but went through a faze when I was allowed a wagon wheel or club bar now and again. For some reason people who brought an icepack in their lunch were popular at my school. Sometimes people used to pretend to hurt themselves so that they could be given an icepack to play with. Kids are so weird. Also I always wanted one of those plastic pringle cases that people had, sigh.
Reply 28
I used to have

Sandwich - Tuna / Ham / Chicken with salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes)
Crisps - Always put them on sandwich gives it more crunch, still do this now at uni !
Cereal Bar / Flapjack
Random fruit
Bottle of juice

Now my lunch meal consists of

Tin of tuna / Sardines
Cottage Cheese on Wholemeal bread / Rivita
Portion of peanuts / Almonds
Random fruit
Bottle of water

Bodybuilding diet :frown:
Reply 29
At my primary school all students had to eat the school dinners which were pretty nasty. To make it worse there was always a teacher on duty to make sure you'd eaten absolutely everything on your plate. I LONGED for a packed lunch :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I always had school dinners. I felt sorry for the children who had packed lunches because our school dinners were amazing! I always felt for the children who had to have boring old sandwiches while I was tucking into my lovely lasagne or shepherd's pie :smile:

Likewise. It was a rare occasion where I had a packed lunch because I always had the square-cut traybake pizza/chocolate johnny cake or epicness. School dinners were amazing. I always got a humongous portion of sprouts when it was on the menu, because nobody else wanted them. Cubed mixed veg was always on there otherwise.
Reply 31
when i was not living in england yet, it was common in my primary school to have rice + something (usually leftover dinner) as lunch. :smile: i miss those days.

fast-forward to england, since having a rice meal is pretty uncommon to eat during lunch, my mum started making me sandwiches (usually chicken/ham slices with cheese, lettuce and mayo). since i don't get snacks included in my packed lunch, i would usually buy something from the canteen like a short bread or crispies! :biggrin:
I used to bring in a flask with soup. Once I had a flask for one day and it leaked. I was pissed. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by jess.
At my primary school all students had to eat the school dinners which were pretty nasty. To make it worse there was always a teacher on duty to make sure you'd eaten absolutely everything on your plate. I LONGED for a packed lunch :frown:

Thats like the opposite of my primary school. They didn't do dinners at all. You HAD to bring a lunch box!
Reply 34
Original post by QI Elf
Thats like the opposite of my primary school. They didn't do dinners at all. You HAD to bring a lunch box!

That sounds great, I swear my mum could have packed almost anything in a packed lunch and it would have been preferable to what got served up at my school. We used to hollow out the bread rolls we got with dinner to stuff the food we didn't want inside as they usually didn't care about whether we ate them. But one time when I went to leave the teacher on duty came over to pick up the bread roll to ask why I hadn't eaten it and all the food fell out, epic fail...
it's all about having school meals and turkey twizzlers and the mash scoop! Damn you Jamie Oliver...
School dinners were much better than a packed lunch.

At my primary school if you were on school dinners you could choose where you sat (in the school dinner kids area) but on packed lunches you were assigned a free seat with other packed lunch kids when one became free (in the packed lunch area) so there was no guarentee of sitting with friends. Also no guarentee that your lunch companions didn't have disgusting food with them. Can't stand the smell of bananas, yoghurt or egg which are fairly common lunch foods :frown:

I remember having a packed lunch once and being put on a table with random kids and someone was sick in thier lunch box. Disgusting. School dinners were the sensible choice.
Reply 37
Original post by milknosugar
Also I always wanted one of those plastic pringle cases that people had, sigh.

We had them! I had a silver glittery one :biggrin: And we also had biscuit protectors, which were like the Pringles cases but biscuit shaped, big enough for a couple of Bourbons side by side, or 3 digestives stacked up. AMAZING.

Original post by QI Elf

My old primary school has introduced that now - they wanted to convert the kitchens into a second staff room! Selfish teachers!
Ham or egg sandwich, an apple and banana, sometimes a packet of raisins or a cheestring and rarely a penguin/club bar or something like that. I vaguely remember bringing a flask of hot blackcurrant in early primary school. I brought a scone for '11 o clock break' too. My mum was a bit of a health freak too, still is.

I still bring a packed lunch to work (or I did and will when I have a job again!). I'm coeliac and very tight with money so works for me :tongue: I see some people spending nearly £10 on lunch for a day!? I wouldn't spend that on a weeks lunch!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Marmite sandwich, babybel, pringles in an awesome red pot, a frube and a Club/penguin bar. :biggrin:

I had that exact same packed lunch for 6 years (powerpuff girls lunch box) :biggrin: and always ate it in that order, without fail. OCD child? maybe...

Quick Reply

Latest