The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Too fat to breathe? :confused:
Yep, OSA or obesity hypoventilation.
Original post by Renal
That is absolutely not what I was expecting it to be.

Haha. I haven't got to any RSM events, too lectury. Not going to pass up a paint balling though <3
Reply 2642
Original post by RollerBall
Haha. I haven't got to any RSM events, too lectury. Not going to pass up a paint balling though <3
And that's a very good price.
If someone could help me I'd be extremely grateful, I've got really confused :sad:. Hyperventilation causes CO2 to be blown off, causing respiratory alkalosis. Yes? I think. But what are the physiological mechanisms behind that? I don't understand if it's because H+ is being used to make CO2 so there's less of it, increasing the pH, or something about carbonate ions. Or is that metabolic compensation? I've been at this all day and my brain's started to melt.
Reply 2644
Original post by felt_monkey
If someone could help me I'd be extremely grateful, I've got really confused :sad:. Hyperventilation causes CO2 to be blown off, causing respiratory alkalosis. Yes? I think. But what are the physiological mechanisms behind that? I don't understand if it's because H+ is being used to make CO2 so there's less of it, increasing the pH, or something about carbonate ions. Or is that metabolic compensation? I've been at this all day and my brain's started to melt.

Yep, blowing off CO2 causes resp alkalosis. If you remember this equation;
H20 + C02 --> H2CO3 --> H+ + HCO3-, things may become clearer. From what I remember of last year, a decrease in CO2 will result in less H2CO3 (carbonic acid) being produced which in turn cannot dissociate into H+ + HCO3- (the metabolic component).

EDIT: try www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/conditions/acidosis.html and wiki is always a good start :smile:

EDIT 2: www.acid-base.com
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Alex D
Yep, blowing off CO2 causes resp alkalosis. If you remember this equation;
H20 + C02 --> H2CO3 --> H+ + HCO3-, things may become clearer. From what I remember of last year, a decrease in CO2 will result in less H2CO3 (carbonic acid) being produced which in turn cannot dissociate into H+ + HCO3- (the metabolic component).

Good explanation but if i might be so bold as to slightly tweak...

H20 + C02 <--> H2CO3 <--> H+ + HCO3-

(i.e. not one way)
Reply 2646
Original post by Jamie
Good explanation but if i might be so bold as to slightly tweak...

H20 + C02 <--> H2CO3 <--> H+ + HCO3-

(i.e. not one way)

Definitely :smile: Thought it didn't seem quite right when I was typing it :tongue:
Currently getting my FB stalk on, it's too bloody addictive.
Downing 2 bottles of wine on an empty stomach to make things less awkward in an awkward situation is a fantastic idea until the day after when you face the effects.

I still feel grim.
Original post by Jessaay!
Downing 2 bottles of wine on an empty stomach to make things less awkward in an awkward situation is a fantastic idea until the day after when you face the effects.

I still feel grim.

You've come to the wrong place for sympathy. Although I can definately empathise. :smile:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
You've come to the wrong place for sympathy. Although I can definately empathise. :smile:

I wasn't looking for sympathy, but looking for empathy. To everyone present, they keep saying "well we did keep warning you not to". :p:
I wasn't looking for sympathy, but looking for empathy. To everyone present, they keep saying &quot;well we did keep warning you not to&quot;. :p:

Surely being absolutely gone in a social situation would make it more difficult?
Surely being absolutely gone in a social situation would make it more difficult?

I wasn't oddly still standing and can still remember most things, I think I may have vommed a bit though.

And in this awkward situation I think passing out would have made it better. In normal social situations yes, it would make it more difficult. :p:
I wasn't oddly still standing and can still remember most things, I think I may have vommed a bit though.

And in this awkward situation I think passing out would have made it better. In normal social situations yes, it would make it more difficult. :p:

Hmm, maybe I should invest in a hip flask and some overproofed rum.
Hmm, maybe I should invest in a hip flask and some overproofed rum.

I wouldn't recommend it for normal life. I do remember someone else taking out a hip flask though. Though if everyone drinks to relieve awkwardness there's always the danger of it just ending up as a really large orgy.

That scenario makes sense in my head.
I wouldn't recommend it for normal life. I do remember someone else taking out a hip flask though. Though if everyone drinks to relieve awkwardness there's always the danger of it just ending up as a really large orgy.

That scenario makes sense in my head.

You say that like it's a bad thing?
You say that like it's a bad thing?

The morning after would be a bad thing :p:
The morning after would be a bad thing :p:

Not if you has the presence of mind to hit the walk of shame while it was still pretty dark out.

Not if you has the presence of mind to hit the walk of shame while it was still pretty dark out.

Hahaha that's brillant. Very true indeed.
Hahaha that's brillant. Very true indeed.

:awesome: On a side note- are you coming to the meet?

Latest

Trending

Trending