The Student Room Group

11 a side football - boring

Does anyone just not get 11 a side football?? For some reason I just don't enjoy 11 a side and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Tbh I don't know why I carry on playing. It probably sounds a bit whiny making excuses but it just feels like a different sport sometimes. Long balls, horrific pitches and you have to be so fit to really make an impact on the game. I've been playing for a reserve team in the Zamaretto Prem and more recently a Ryman South team but even in those teams it's more to do with physicality than actual ball technique. Played at the weekend ... lost 2 studs during the game on some pebble beach pitch and lots of pinged bouncy balls .. I felt like I was cage wrestling or something. Alot of the time as well you're just running to follow your man. I find it difficult to really impact on a game and even when I played recently for a mates Sunday team I played ok but again it was just ok even though technically I'm probably the best player on the pitch. Everyone else seems to enjoy 11 a side though and have no problems with the fitness side. Even though I'm relatively fit (can run 2 miles in 12 minutes) for some reason I can be blown out after 10 minutes (at semipro level) to the point where if I'm trying to beat a player I just can't because my legs feel dead and I just haven't got the energy to go past a player. I don't get it .. it seems you have to be super super fit. It's pretty embarrassing ... I've had to pretend to have taken a knock just to get a breather Even things like getting my balance right on an 11 a side pitch I find difficult at times .. football is so much easier on astroturf/concrete.

I'm not sure if I've got some kind of genetical lack of energy if there's such a thing or whether it's just something mental/confidence or whether I just don't know how to apply my ability. It's really annoying because I want to enjoy it and get to the bottom of what it is that's just not going right. I don't know if this explains anything but I first joined a semipro team in November so I never had a preseason + alot of games were cancelled over the winter so I haven't played loads this season and I've ended up playing for 3 clubs this season.

Anyways does anyone find similar problems with enjoying 11 aside?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kind of know what you mean, I played in the Ridgeons Premier league last season and a lot of it was just down to whatever team was the fittest, fastest and strongest. Baring in mind im not that fast, 5ft7 and pretty lightweight, I struggled. I play in the Blue Square South now and find it a lot easier, more time on the ball, surronded by better players which lifts my game, would suggest the same thing for you.
Original post by Skill
Does anyone just not get 11 a side football?? For some reason I just don't enjoy 11 a side and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Tbh I don't know why I carry on playing. It probably sounds a bit whiny making excuses but it just feels like a different sport sometimes. Long balls, horrific pitches and you have to be so fit to really make an impact on the game. I've been playing for a reserve team in the Zamaretto Prem and more recently a Ryman South team but even in those teams it's more to do with physicality than actual ball technique. Played at the weekend ... lost 2 studs during the game on some pebble beach pitch and lots of pinged bouncy balls .. I felt like I was cage wrestling or something. Alot of the time as well you're just running to follow your man. I find it difficult to really impact on a game and even when I played recently for a mates Sunday team I played ok but again it was just ok even though technically I'm probably the best player on the pitch. Everyone else seems to enjoy 11 a side though and have no problems with the fitness side. Even though I'm relatively fit (can run 2 miles in 12 minutes) for some reason I can be blown out after 10 minutes (at semipro level) to the point where if I'm trying to beat a player I just can't because my legs feel dead and I just haven't got the energy to go past a player. I don't get it .. it seems you have to be super super fit. It's pretty embarrassing ... I've had to pretend to have taken a knock just to get a breather Even things like getting my balance right on an 11 a side pitch I find difficult at times .. football is so much easier on astroturf/concrete.

I'm not sure if I've got some kind of genetical lack of energy if there's such a thing or whether it's just something mental/confidence or whether I just don't know how to apply my ability. It's really annoying because I want to enjoy it and get to the bottom of what it is that's just not going right. I don't know if this explains anything but I first joined a semipro team in November so I never had a preseason + alot of games were cancelled over the winter so I haven't played loads this season and I've ended up playing for 3 clubs this season.

because you got 8 fingers and two thumbs?
Reply 3
Original post by Ash_TJ
Kind of know what you mean, I played in the Ridgeons Premier league last season and a lot of it was just down to whatever team was the fittest, fastest and strongest. Baring in mind im not that fast, 5ft7 and pretty lightweight, I struggled. I play in the Blue Square South now and find it a lot easier, more time on the ball, surronded by better players which lifts my game, would suggest the same thing for you.

Hmm very interesting ... literally the very same problem I am having. I'm not particularly quick, and am 5'9 and just over 10 stone so it's hard to really show your talent in the non league. I might PM you actually.
Wah wah wah. A good footballer can play anywhere, in any circumstances. Look at the poor kids of Brazil and Argentina and the places where they play while growing up. They make the most of what they have and use their determination to be the best they can be.

If you're not fit enough, become fit enough.
Reply 5
lol don't get all highhorse now ... the fact that I play at the level I do already indicates I know more about football than you do in practical terms. You really need to get out and watch/observe/play football at the grass roots levels if you think what you think. The format in non league football makes it difficult to break through ... that's why things such as the Glenn Hoddle academy exist .. so that players can get away from the doldrums of non league and focus on developing their ability, which they don't receive at non league.
Reply 6
I understand where you're coming from. I really fell out of love with 11a side at u16 level myself, and was stuck in a bit of a rut.
For me I became frustrated by the kind of football being played (In centre midfield spending most of the time contesting headers from goalkicks) and then I lost my composure whenever I had the ball because my head wasn't right. Even your fitness I think can be related to your level of confidence. If your relaxed and have belief in your ability you can play through it.
When you're frustated with football in general you can be beat before you go on the pitch.

For me I had a break from the game and have enjoyed playing again at Uni with a change of environment. That could be what is needed in your case.
Original post by Skill
lol don't get all highhorse now ... the fact that I play at the level I do already indicates I know more about football than you do in practical terms. You really need to get out and watch/observe/play football at the grass roots levels if you think what you think. The format in non league football makes it difficult to break through ... that's why things such as the Glenn Hoddle academy exist .. so that players can get away from the doldrums of non league and focus on developing their ability, which they don't receive at non league.

I highly doubt your football knowledge is greater than mine. But alas, this is not the time for dick measuring.

What are the characteristics of English football? Fast paced, high pressure, muddy pitches, crap weather, very physical, and aggressive. Now either you man up and stop bitching by adapting to your surroundings, or you convince the FA to move the season to be played from March to November, clamp down on aggressive behaviour, and re-educate all players up and down the country on their footballing philosophies.
Reply 8
Original post by Ash_TJ

You on football manager?
Reply 9
Original post by OBAG09L
I understand where you're coming from. I really fell out of love with 11a side at u16 level myself, and was stuck in a bit of a rut.
For me I became frustrated by the kind of football being played (In centre midfield spending most of the time contesting headers from goalkicks) and then I lost my composure whenever I had the ball because my head wasn't right. Even your fitness I think can be related to your level of confidence. If your relaxed and have belief in your ability you can play through it.
When you're frustated with football in general you can be beat before you go on the pitch.

For me I had a break from the game and have enjoyed playing again at Uni with a change of environment. That could be what is needed in your case.

Yesss you understand. Confidence plays a big factor sometimes.
Reply 10
Original post by OBAG09L
You on football manager?

Everyone always ask that.

Nah i'm not, I wasn't at Braintree at the beginning of the season, was hoping I might be on 11.3 but i'm not.

Next year maybe, they get payed to go on it aswell.
Reply 11
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
I highly doubt your football knowledge is greater than mine. But alas, this is not the time for dick measuring.

What are the characteristics of English football? Fast paced, high pressure, muddy pitches, crap weather, very physical, and aggressive. Now either you man up and stop bitching by adapting to your surroundings, or you convince the FA to move the season to be played from March to November, clamp down on aggressive behaviour, and re-educate all players up and down the country on their footballing philosophies.

Well anyways I've most likely played at a higher level than you and watching the game from the touchline and actually playing out on the pitch at that level are 2 completely different things so interpretation from experience is an advantage. Anyways your attitude is kind of symptomatic of the problems of English football. The whole man up thing ... if we're ever to sort this country's problems out from the bottom we're going to need to open up about these things rather than slam them down and just saying man up and get on with it. It's that culture and vision that sees this country failing in football.
(edited 13 years ago)
No, I get eleven-a-side and enjoy it-but then, I'm not especially technically gifted and have a yard or two of pace on most people.

I'd like to try myself at a level like Rymans-I would really like to improve my technical ability.

I do love 5-a-side though.
Original post by Skill

Most people do seem to just enjoy 11-a-side because it involves kicking people and hoofing it long.
Not having a pre-season probably affected you, see how you get on next season with a good pre-season.

I do think that if you're not as fit as you want to be, and you want to play at a decent level in CM, you have to get fit. I hate the morons who think that fitness and physical attributes are all that make a good player, but I equally hate those who think that you can be crap physically but succeed due to good technique. You need both.
Twelve minutes for two miles is good, but football requires a different type of fitness, so get some advice from your coaches. And at the end of the season go running and stuff to keep base fitness at a good enough level before pre-season.

Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Skill
I've ended up playing for 3 clubs this season.

You can only play for two clubs a season..... Even in Sunday Leagues. You can't be registered by 3 clubs in one season. :eek:
Reply 15
Original post by Vintage
You can only play for two clubs a season..... Even in Sunday Leagues. You can't be registered by 3 clubs in one season. :eek:

Eh? You sure? Alot of players move around loads at the level I'm at and it's just about cancelling your registration with your previous club which then frees you up to sign for your new club.
Reply 16
Well, I haven't played 5-a-side/7-a-side football, whatever other forms of football there are. I've only played 11-a-side.

I have played 15-a-side rugby, and 7-a-side, and all I can say is that the orthodox form of any sport is much better. It's constructed to be tougher than modifications (which are made for obvious reasons, make it easier to play/understand). Also, tries are, what's the word, more "precious" in 15-a-side/orthodox rugby union than in 7-a-side, where tries come and go like a slutty chick.

Guess it's the same for 11-a-side footy, tougher conditions -> work harder to produce goals.
Reply 17
Original post by Skill
Eh? You sure? Alot of players move around loads at the level I'm at and it's just about cancelling your registration with your previous club which then frees you up to sign for your new club.

There's way to get around it in some leagues. Sunday Leagues etc.

But in the semi-pro leagues it'll be stricter and more regulated.
Original post by Skill

I think you're right. It may depend on the local FA if you're playing in the more regionalised leagues. I think the GFA allows you to play for three clubs a season.
Reply 19
Meh anyways I've heard nout from nobody so I won't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest