The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edcourageous
at risk of sounding killjoy i dont know how you got away with this, stinks of FTP committee to me!

I turned up to my PDS tutorials every thursday morning last year hungover and looking like death/still drunk and not making any sense. My tutor was a palliative care doctor and knew, he actually seemed to respect me for it in a way, probably reminded him of when he was a student.

I don't see the problem unless there's a danger of harming patients or something, and probably they recognise most students have done it :p:
Reply 2741
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I got to see a hip and knee replacement today :smile: And I could answer the questions the surgeon was asking (and one anatomy question that the FY1/2 couldn't :teehee:)

Congrats! :biggrin: Sounds like an exciting day, pretty jealous! Really want to know the question was now though... :tongue:

Original post by Jessaay!

I then pointed out that it's SwanSEA, not SwanSEY, and she got confused again and thought I was wrong. Then I got good old google maps.

Bless.

I'm so surprised that this wasn't the other way around :wink: (ie someone from swansea claiming that swanley doesn't exist!!) ahh makes me miss home though, I'm not headed back this easter I don't think :frown:

Original post by Renal
Ireland :p:

I really like the Islay single malts, but it's very much a personal taste.

I've never tried Irish whiskey beyond Jameson - I'll have to investigate next time the opportunity arises (which is not often enough, unfortunately :nn:). I do like the Islay malts though, I love the hoarse taste from the peat distilleries

Original post by Tech
Congrats! :biggrin: Sounds like an exciting day, pretty jealous! Really want to know the question was now though... :tongue:

Errrm I can't remember it word for word, but it was just talking about the structures around ligamentum teres and whether they were particularly important in an adult (basically just talking about the obturator artery) :p: It was a good day, I had a lovely surgeon, and then I managed to identify various things on X-rays in the afternoon, including Paget's disease of the bone :smile:
Errrm I can't remember it word for word, but it was just talking about the structures around ligamentum teres and whether they were particularly important in an adult (basically just talking about the obturator artery) :p: It was a good day, I had a lovely surgeon, and then I managed to identify various things on X-rays in the afternoon, including Paget's disease of the bone :smile:

It would be even more amazing if you get to scrub in and assist! :colone:

surgery AND anatomy?! unlucky :tongue:
Original post by win2kpro

Original post by win2kpro
It would be even more amazing if you get to scrub in and assist! :colone:

Some people have done (like for suction and hammering in stuff) but I think it depends on the surgeon. I did ask today, but I have two more sessions for my time on placement this module, so fingers crossed!

Original post by John Locke
surgery AND anatomy?! unlucky :tongue:

Unlucky? :confused:
When does it get less weird for members of the public dropping their keks for me to examine them? I'm a medical student, I know nothing and yet I'm allowed behind the curtain to peer at some guy's scrotum because he has a very rare skin disease I'll prob never see on anyone else ever again. Obv v cool, but still a part of me that goes woah, he's nekkid. Does that go?
Reply 2747
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
When does it get less weird for members of the public dropping their keks for me to examine them? I'm a medical student, I know nothing and yet I'm allowed behind the curtain to peer at some guy's scrotum because he has a very rare skin disease I'll prob never see on anyone else ever again. Obv v cool, but still a part of me that goes woah, he's nekkid. Does that go?

Haha! I've not seen any nekkid bodies in a medical student capacity, however, I'd probably not even notice if I did for the amount I've seen as a carer (from my experience with that, yes it does go).

On my first ever day, 9am on a monday morning, about 15 years old on first ever work experience placement in an A&E department, the first patient I ever met was a guy whose foreskin had got stuck over the head of his penis. The head of his penis was about 3x the normal size, red, swollen.. I had no preparation. "Just come and have a look at this one then!" *whips back the cover*.
... Composition definitely tested.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2748
I'm playing a game of "match the username to the facebook profile" from the event page.

It's quite fun :tongue:
Reply 2749
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
It becomes less weird when you don't care and don't look at these things for interest but because you have to.
Original post by edcourageous
at risk of sounding killjoy i dont know how you got away with this, stinks of FTP committee to me!

It was only PBL. If it was patients fair enough.
Original post by Renal
It becomes less weird when you don't care and don't look at these things for interest but because you have to.

Well I'm starting to look at things because I have to, and it's still sometimes weird for me, particularly the willingness with which some men drop trou, I often don't even have to ask now!

EDIT: not as sick and wrong as it sounds....
Reply 2752
Well it is odd, the whole thing about being allowed to share some stranger's privacy is so removed from social norms. We get to see and hear things that husbands don't share with their wives and that is truly odd.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lekky
I'm playing a game of "match the username to the facebook profile" from the event page.

It's quite fun :tongue:

I did that earlier :p: I always have an image of people in my mind and it's fun to see whether it was accurate.

Usually it isn't :p:
Reply 2754
I did that earlier :p: I always have an image of people in my mind and it's fun to see whether it was accurate.

Usually it isn't :p:

Lol! Do I match up?

Having now stalked (who I hope is) you, you match up exactly :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
The first patient I ever saw as a student was a 26 year old in for a cervical smear. I shan't look at a woman in quite the same way again.
Original post by lekky
Lol! Do I match up?

Having now stalked (who I hope is) you, you match up exactly :tongue:

I'm fairly easy to stalk, not gonna lie :p: Is it because of the drunk profile picture? :p:

Are you the one in the group picture? Cos if so I don't know which you are :frown:
Reply 2757
I'm fairly easy to stalk, not gonna lie :p: Is it because of the drunk profile picture? :p:

Are you the one in the group picture? Cos if so I don't know which you are :frown:

Maybe :wink:

I forget that my facebook is so private.

You are EXACTLY how I imagined. :biggrin:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
You are EXACTLY how I imagined. :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether to be worried about this or not :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending