The Student Room Group

How multicultural is UCL medical school?

My Chinese friend told me that UCL medical school is full of Chinese people and no black people so I'll "stick out like a sore thumb." Thats just one person that has told me this. Is this true? How multicultural is UCL medical school?
(obviously the answer to this will not affect my decision as I'm firming them, I'm just interested to know)

If there's been a thread like this before then please link me to it as I couldn't find it.

Thanks
Original post by Naomiimoan
My Chinese friend told me that UCL medical school is full of Chinese people and no black people so I'll "stick out like a sore thumb." Thats just one person that has told me this. Is this true? How multicultural is UCL medical school?
(obviously the answer to this will not affect my decision as I'm firming them, I'm just interested to know)

If there's been a thread like this before then please link me to it as I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Well in my year there are quite a few Asian students (maybe a quarter of the year?) and not all that many black students (maybe 10?).

I wouldn't say you'll "stick out like a sore thumb" tbh. It's not that big an issue.
Reply 2
Won't you stick out anywhere anyways? Not many black people study medicine...No one even cares about race these days anyway.
Reply 3
My Chinese friend told me that UCL medical school is full of Chinese people and no black people

This pretty much describes every medical school, though I'd replace Chinese with Asian. Black people just don't seem to go for it as much; I'm black and I feel your pain! :emo:
Reply 4
Original post by RP Lover
Won't you stick out anywhere anyways? Not many black people study medicine...No one even cares about race these days anyway.

Really?! I did not know that..
That's true, although, you can't completely blend in when you're the only black girl in the whole of sixth form..but it's not too bad :cool:
Reply 5
Really?! I did not know that..
That's true, although, you can't completely blend in when you're the only black girl in the whole of sixth form..but it's not too bad :cool:

EDIT: (that's not meant to sound sarcastic by the way)
Reply 6

Thanks

It's only a chemical in your skin. Nobody at medical school is going to give you a rough time because the colour of your skin is different. If you were in a medical school full of black people and one chinese person would you rip on them for it?

'Multicultural' is such an ugly word really, it seeks to create differences where none exist.

No one even cares about race these days anyway.

This. +1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7

Thanks

Don't worry, I should be there (as long as I get the grades) :dance:

EDIT: I'm black btw, don't know if I made that obvious enough :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Aku-gila
Don't worry, I should be there (as long as I get the grades) :dance:

EDIT: I'm black btw, don't know if I made that obvious enough :erm:

LOL you did. Well I guess I'll see ya there! :colone:
Reply 9
The course may has large numbers of black student, but the university as a whole has a great community so dont worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending