The Student Room Group

Eating manners

This may sound like a strange question, but when dining at someone else's place, how crucial do you find it to finish all your food?
I don't eat too much, especially since I lost some weight, I feel full a lot sooner than before. Sometimes I don't estimate correctly when it's my turn to take food and I end up feeling full before I'm done (especially if there is some creamy stuff that is a lot more filling than it looks). I finish as much as I can before I burst, but sometimes there is a little left on my plate. My mother will lean into me and whisper that I need to finish my food (which annoys me at this age), and I feel so ill-mannered. But sometimes you have those meals where you don't help yourself to food many times, they just send it around twice with much time in between and I can't just take a tiny bit first time. Is this completely rude :frown:
If they dish up for me I usually try and finish the plate because I'm paranoid they'll think I don't like their cooking. If we can help ourselves I take small portions a few times. But I'm not as bothered then.
Well normally I'd try to eat everything, unless it really was bad... but one time when I ate at my friends house, her and her family all left about half a platefull, so I did too :h:
Reply 3
I couldn't possibly derive the others of your cooking Mrs X. Anyway...I need to save room for desert :sexface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
If it was my girlfriends house I was definately eat it all up regardless if it tasted bad but I would be honest about it and suggest changes that would make it more palatable for me.
????? Some bizarre responses above.
I would eat as much as I felt like and then stop. obvious really.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
This may sound like a strange question, but when dining at someone else's place, how crucial do you find it to finish all your food?
I don't eat too much, especially since I lost some weight, I feel full a lot sooner than before. Sometimes I don't estimate correctly when it's my turn to take food and I end up feeling full before I'm done (especially if there is some creamy stuff that is a lot more filling than it looks). I finish as much as I can before I burst, but sometimes there is a little left on my plate. My mother will lean into me and whisper that I need to finish my food (which annoys me at this age), and I feel so ill-mannered. But sometimes you have those meals where you don't help yourself to food many times, they just send it around twice with much time in between and I can't just take a tiny bit first time. Is this completely rude :frown:

Shut up noob.

*strained

Learn how to spell first please.
I would try to eat as much as I could but I wouldn't force feed myself. I understand what you mean about people thinking you don't like their food though, someone has actually asked me that before! Sometimes you're just not hungry...

When I was about 10 I was staying at a friend's house and her parents bought us a kebab for dinner :eek: I'd never had one before and didn't really like it so left a bit and her dad ate the rest off my plate!! :eek3: That was weird...
Depends on what im doing ATM.

If im cutting then i wont eat the whole thing.
I'll eat as much as I feel like.
My appetite is weird though and I eat at strange times - so often I'm not hungry when they're all eating dinner, and then I'll be starving later but don't feel right going and raiding the kitchen. (If I'm staying at someone else's house for more than one night and I don't know them/their family well, i.e. everyone except Boyfriend and a couple of my girlfriends, I try to take biscuits or cereal bars in my bag so I can eat them if I get really hungry at stupid times).
(edited 13 years ago)
ill eat as much as i can...then when im full ill spread the food around the plate to make it look as if i ate more then i actually did :teehee:
God I know what you mean... once I was served fish (which i despise) at a friends house and I just shut my eyes and ate the whole thing... was sick later but just felt like I couldn't leave it!:frown:
Original post by flowermaster91
ill eat as much as i can...then when im full ill spread the food around the plate to make it look as if i ate more then i actually did :teehee:

your videos are funny
Reply 13
I normally empty my plate always unless I am really really feeling bad or am overfull. I personally just see it as rude to leave some food there. Not because they might think I didn't like it, but because after all they did some effort making the food and I'm wasting it.

What I do to never waste any food is take a small portion first and finish that before taking the actual (big) portion. If I don't like it I just choose a different dish. But that has hardly ever happened. Normally like to eat everything.
Original post by jessyfantastic90
your videos are funny

why thank you :smug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending