The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Panda89
Omg, I'm the opposite as you! For AR, there are only so many combinations, so once you learn them, with practice, you'll identify the shapes with just natural instinct. :colondollar: What did you use to prepare for VR?

Honestly, nothing. I did the practise questions on the internet and that was it. You've got to just use your instincts really. I didn't read the passage until I'd read the question, and then when I read the question I just skimmed until I found the answer I needed. And I dunno really, you can just tell. You're probably right with your instincts on that one.

Hmm, so they do actually recycle questions? I believed everyone last year and didn't do a lot of preparation, so I'm determined to push up my 480 to at least 600 if possible. That would mean I probably average out more like 700 :smile:

Original post by yanb0706
hey guys! im studying A levels in new zealand.
Im now looking at 4 alevels (math, bio, chem, chinese==> does chinese count?) and 1a ( English lit) + 1 b (economics) in AS by the end of the year.

1.How many Ucas points will this be equivalent to?
Assuming you have 4 A's in your A levels, that would be 590 points I think. Chinese would count :smile:
2. How many points do i need to have to apply for med in UK?
Medical school rarely do it by UCAS points - the usual entry requirements are AAA in 3 A levels and an A/B in a 4th AS.
3. Do i need to sit UKCAT? How high will i need to score?
You will need to sit the UKCAT if you want to apply to universities that require it. So that depends exactly where you want to apply.
4. What schools offer undergraduate med in LONDON?
Barts and the London, Kings, St. George's, Imperial, UCL. Have I missed any?
5. What schools dont need interviews + entry requirements ( ucas points...,etc)
Southhampton doesn't usually interview, and others may not interview candidates from abroad, but I don't know which ones. Every school has entry requirements, and they're usually AAA.
6. nice to meet you =)

oh and i forgot to ask 7. i got 82 in bio last year (AS) and i want to resit it...(will it be worth it) but its too late for may/june entries now, so can i resit it in oct/nov? is there a time limit or something? cuz im not so sure?
I wouldn't bother resitting. You got an A, so as long as you get an A in the A2 modules, you'll be fine :smile:
anyone know of any med school that accept first year students if i start my uni course instead of taking a gap year?

also any good volunteering or caring i can do over the summer?

i know a few such as red cross and old age homes, but other suggestions would be great!
Original post by Harbour Seal
It's nothing like close reading! It's logic, which is more philosophy than anything else. What you can deduce from information given within a sentence, not how the sentence is constructed or rewording the sentence in your own words :rolleyes:

Also, I am **** at close reading. Can we please not mention that horror. :colone:

The VR questions are designed to test whether you can correctly understand the information presented to you in the text passage. Though you do need a decent grasp of logic to decipher the question...one of the skills is understanding what the writer has said in the text.

You're right that the analysis parts of close reading wouldn't be any help, but the understanding and evaluation questions I think could at least supplement preparation for VR.

It was merely a suggestion :smile:
Original post by Panda89
Do you mean English at GCSEs in England? Unfortunately, we don't learn such things as the VR in UKCAT. I think, if I remember correctly, that we were taught how to appraise different articles (news, letter, advertisement etc) and the exams required writing 2 hour+ long essays. Might be different for different Exam Boards, though. I did OCR English for my GCSEs.

No A-level. Close reading is about interpreting and analysing information in a passage, I believe this is English Language not English lit so not many people in England and Wales would do it. In Scotland lit&lang are taught together in one course :smile:
Reply 804
Original post by twelve
Honestly, nothing. I did the practise questions on the internet and that was it. You've got to just use your instincts really. I didn't read the passage until I'd read the question, and then when I read the question I just skimmed until I found the answer I needed. And I dunno really, you can just tell. You're probably right with your instincts on that one.

Hmm, so they do actually recycle questions? I believed everyone last year and didn't do a lot of preparation, so I'm determined to push up my 480 to at least 600 if possible. That would mean I probably average out more like 700 :smile:

That's pretty much what I did last year, when I took the test. I thought I did reasonably well in VR, yet, I ended up with 500. It's so frustrating because you couldn't see where the mistakes were. Did you guess at any point?

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
No A-level. Close reading is about interpreting and analysing information in a passage, I believe this is English Language not English lit so not many people in England and Wales would do it. In Scotland lit&lang are taught together in one course :smile:

Oh, I see, then I don't know about A-levels. :smile: Most of the med applicants I know took science/maths A-levels. There are only a few who took English Lanuage (I don't know them in-person), and I haven't seen anyone taking English Lit!
Reply 805
Original post by Panda89
That's pretty much what I did last year, when I took the test. I thought I did reasonably well in VR, yet, I ended up with 500. It's so frustrating because you couldn't see where the mistakes were. Did you guess at any point?

I wouldn't say guess - but I wasn't sure sometimes and I just went for what I thought was most likely. There was no point where I had to go 'actually I don't have a clue, lets just go for that one.'
Original post by haleem
Yeah, I know.. esp during the first two applications, because you know its not gonna end well :sad:

:yep: I dunno, apparently you dont get accomodation if you live within the M25, that reminds me, I need to ring them to ask... but if its true, most probably I will commute... should take about an hour, my friend does the same :s-smilie:
Really? Haha, wow...they got every base covered there then :rofl:

Hmm, I guess... But I was the only other male on my ward, and the youngest by faaar... so at times it was a bit scary :afraid:

:rofl: Dunno what they saw, but it was an epic fail on my part :rofl: :facepalm2: :getmecoat:

Oh yeah. You applied twice before, bless you. :console: You made it though! :gah:

If you are able to, would you still commute? Although I suppose it's fair enough since prices in London aren't exactly the cheapest. But you'd be missing out on some of the 'university experience' etc. Would you mind commuting?
Pretty much yeah. :rofl: They're all loaded though. :tongue: Eldest owns her own surgery, middle is a private orthodontist - speaks for itself, and the optometrist doesn't even work because her husband is a director of some big business in Dubai. :facepalm2:

:rofl: There's only one guy on our ward - he can be quite strange. :lolwut: But I am the youngest by far. :tongue:

Did you consider taking it? :rofl:
Original post by dariadaphne
Oops :teehee: Sorry for the ''her'' part, I didn't know it was a him :teehee:

It's alright. :tongue: Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
It's alright. :tongue: Where are you thinking of applying?

I haven't made my mind yet, but I was thinking about Newcastle, Sheffield (depending on my UKCAT), BSMS, Peninsula :dontknow:
I haven't made my mind yet, but I was thinking about Newcastle, Sheffield (depending on my UKCAT), BSMS, Peninsula :dontknow:

Quite a mix! Why those choices if you don't mind me asking?

Cuz Newcastle is fitt :cool:
Original post by laurenl93
Cuz Newcastle is fitt :cool:

Aha, I know. :wink:
Reply 812
Oh yeah. You applied twice before, bless you. :console: You made it though! :gah:

If you are able to, would you still commute? Although I suppose it's fair enough since prices in London aren't exactly the cheapest. But you'd be missing out on some of the 'university experience' etc. Would you mind commuting?
Pretty much yeah. :rofl: They're all loaded though. :tongue: Eldest owns her own surgery, middle is a private orthodontist - speaks for itself, and the optometrist doesn't even work because her husband is a director of some big business in Dubai. :facepalm2:

:rofl: There's only one guy on our ward - he can be quite strange. :lolwut: But I am the youngest by far. :tongue:

Did you consider taking it? :rofl:

:woo:

I really don't know... I rang them and they said I would probably get accommodation after jan if I applied... but living at home would be so easy :coma: and cheap :ninja:
Travelling might be too much though :s-smilie:
What are you doing? :h:

Lol, wow :daydreaming:

Haha, how come? :lol:
I was outnumbered I tell ya :colonhash:

I thought the 4 hour travelling might be a bit too much :tongue:

Haha :laugh: I know :laugh: Because these are the ones that I like and who also accept my qualifications :biggrin: I'm an EU student, so not every uni accepts our diploma :frown: But I don't mind, since I'm really happy with these choices so far :biggrin: I'm still waiting for reply from a couple of other unis, so I can make my high UKCAT/low UKCAT list, in case (God forbit :cry) my UKCAT doesn't go as expected :eek:
applied to edinburgh, glasgow, dundee, st andrews.
interviewed everywhere except edinburgh (who dont usually do interviews) and got 4 rejections :frown: UKCAT 695. work experience in hospital and psychiatric wards and oodles of volunteering.
going to reapply this year, i have applied for a job in a hospice and am going to volunteer at a camp for disabled children in the summer.
any ideas for what else to do?!
is it likely that i will get accepted next year? i dont think i could face all the rejection again!
Reply 815
Original post by twelve

Haha i did the same, i started off tryna read the passage but it's so dull so i read the question and scam for similar words in the passage, maybe that's why i screwed up both times, got 590 first time then 600 second time :colonhash:
I never completed the short practice on my laptop which was silly but **** is so boring i can't take it serious, think i need to work on concentration more than anything else

And yer i could have swore the two i did were the same or most parts of it anyway, problem is you don't get given the correct answer so don't know where you went right or wrong. GEEK :tongue:
Reply 816
Original post by twelve
I wouldn't say guess - but I wasn't sure sometimes and I just went for what I thought was most likely. There was no point where I had to go 'actually I don't have a clue, lets just go for that one.'

Did that quite often on QR, only cos it was gonna take time i just go C and D alternate if it looks like it'll take time, it turned out to be my highest both times tho :tongue:
Original post by dmz
Did that quite often on QR, only cos it was gonna take time i just go C and D alternate if it looks like it'll take time, it turned out to be my highest both times tho :tongue:

I guessed a lot on QR. And, it turned out to be my highest section. Lol.

Should I just guess C or D if I do not know. What if it might be A or B. :colone:

At least we can count out E or can we. :eek:
Reply 818
Original post by firestar101
I guessed a lot on QR. And, it turned out to be my highest section. Lol.

Should I just guess C or D if I do not know. What if it might be A or B. :colone:

At least we can count out E or can we. :eek:

no, i looked through the answer of the practice one just to see if there was a majority letter for a particular section and it was mostly C or D for QR not to say it's the same in the exam, but i got 700 working properly on possibly less than a quarter, some i eliminate to two and guess 1 or such. I'm really go for it this time

why can we count E out?
Original post by dmz

We should be officially qualified to write a book on the UKCAT after doing it 3 bloody times :smug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending