Reply 3
Original post by Grahim99
why though? i assume youre there?

no,its just a stronger brand name
Reply 4
Original post by Theconomist
no,its just a stronger brand name

Not for engineering it isn't.

Not only this, but Southampton ranks higher in both the domestic and international league tables:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Southampton! I'm there (and it's awesome) but it is also really good for it!

For electrical engineering it's 3rd in the UK, 8th for mechanical and 6th for civil. Birmingham doesn't beat it for anything.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Civil+Engineering
Reply 6
The accents are less annoying in Southampton :p:

As above, Southampton's a very well respected university for engineering (the motor industry in particular seems to have strong links). I studied engineering there and have no regrets at all with that choice - I really miss the place now I've left!
Reply 7
cheers, but just wondering whats the social life like there/
Reply 8
there being southampton?
Reply 9
Birmingham.
Reply 10
there being southampton?

Jesters is all you need to know about :p:

It's pretty good to be honest, there's quite a wide range on offer. London Road/Bedford Place area for the slightly more upmarket side of things, Bevois valley or the Union for the student places, Oceana down near the docks for a really big club. There's plenty of places to go - I think there's something like 40,000 students in Southampton (including Solent) so there's always stuff going on!
there being southampton?

I have found it really good. Loads of clubs/pubs and bars. Big cinema etc and a great SU who are always throwing events. The halls have their own events as well and their own pub/club.

Plus we're only an hour train ride from London :smile:

<3 Soton <3
Original post by CurlyBen
Jesters is all you need to know about :p:

It's pretty good to be honest, there's quite a wide range on offer. London Road/Bedford Place area for the slightly more upmarket side of things, Bevois valley or the Union for the student places, Oceana down near the docks for a really big club. There's plenty of places to go - I think there's something like 40,000 students in Southampton (including Solent) so there's always stuff going on!

Oh god jesters. It's one hell of an experience!
What a stupid question.. Birmingham OBVIOUSLY.
Reply 14

I think there's something like 40,000 students in Southampton (including Solent) so there's always stuff going on!

Only 40000? Tut tut tut. Nothing on the 75000+ students in Birmingham. :p:

For nightlife OP its hard to beat broad street! In my opinion best clubs outside London!
Reply 15
Original post by ScarletMoon

why though!? reasons are generally helpful...
Reply 16

I understand being biased in favour of your own university, but you could at least attempt to construct some kind of argument to justify your claim.
why though!? reasons are generally helpful...

Birmingham is a Redbrick uni.. and it's park of the Russell group. Southampton is not.
Reply 18

Birmingham is a Redbrick uni.. and it's park of the Russell group. Southampton is not.

I'm going to Birmingham but even i see this comment as stupid..
Reply 19
Wrong on both counts.

"The University of Southampton is a "red-brick" British public university... The university is a member of the Russell Group of research universities..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_University
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending