The Student Room Group

My boyfriend shoots rabbits?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You only care because you associate rabbits with a fluffly cute Disney-fied image of magical little animals that live in burrows and wear petticoats Beatrix Potter style. I guarantee if he shot rats or ugly animals you would have no qualms, and the fact you have no moral issue with eating a cow that has a bolt gun shot through its frontal lobes, hung upside down and its jugular and cartoid arteries severed and left to bleed to death demonstrates my point.
Original post by Ich Dien
Well, your not perfect are you? :rolleyes:
You have to accept the fact because its not going to change..

I'm not perfect, but at least in my reasoning i'm morally and logically sound.

And no, you don't have to accept it, at all.
Reply 42
Well, that depends: are they rampant ones?
Reply 43
Original post by The.Prophet
you don't have to accept it, at all.

you dont get it. Its not going to change! so stop nerd raging at people who take no notice.

but at least in my reasoning i'm morally and logically sound..

You decide whats logical and sound? Dont be so idealistic. :rolleyes:.
(edited 13 years ago)
you dont get it. Its not going to change! so stop nerd raging at people who take no notice.

Because you decide whats logical and sound? :rolleyes:. Dont be so idealistic.

Idealistic? What on earth are you talking about?

I'm not idealistic. I'm correct.

I was offering my opinion to the op that she has no ground to bother her boyfriend. Morally or ethically.

Go away.
Shooting is generally a lot more humane that the way most animals are killed now (in abattoirs), and they live a more enjoyable life in the wild. If he eats them then you shouldn't have any problems with that whatsoever, it's better than buying meat from the supermarket. Even if he doesn't, there could be other reasons for culling them like severe crop damage which can threaten a farmer's livelihood. To all the people who are opposed to it because they are cute and cuddly, that is a ridiculous argument and favouring the life of an animal because it has fur is stupid. If he was shooting snakes would you have a problem with that?
I'd also like to add that although you should really always have another motive for shooting, there is nothing psychopathic about enjoying it. Biologically, humans are still just predators, and we are hard wired to enjoy hunting, in just the same way that dogs and lions do. Just because this conflicts with our modern morals doesn't mean there is anything 'wrong' with someone who enjoys it.
Reply 46
No it's not. The analogy still stands. You are just ignoring it.

Death is on par with torture in terms of doing harm to an animal. It's pretty much the worse thing you can do to an animal. So if you eat animals, you're asserting human dominance over animals and as such, accept that humans have the right to do whatever they want to animals. Because you've accepted that humans can do the worse thing possible to animals already, kill them.

Let me guess; a vegan who thinks he is a moral philosopher? Lame post is lame.
Original post by FluxD
Let me guess; a vegan who thinks he is a moral philosopher? Lame post is lame.

I eat meat regularly.
Original post by Anonymous
I can't make up my mind if I'm okay with this or not.
Do you think it's right?
I admit I eat meat.
But hate the thought of animals suffering.
Is this humane? But then a lot of people do it so am I just making a big deal out of it?

Have a bowl of rabbit stew, then see if you are still bothered about the ethical implicaitions.

Anyway, you're just having an emotional reaction because rabbits are cute.
Reply 49
There's only one way you can eat a brace of coney's.
Reply 50
I think I am perhaps having an emotional reaction. I've never really seen rabbits as food.
And I've always been taught to be fairly against people who 'hunt.' They're usually portrayed as the bad guys. But if there's no suffering then...
Reply 51
That's lame, make him stop.
Reply 52
Because your a frontiersman? **** off.

Hunting isint a persuit or a hobby. Because the notion of killing for fun is not acceptable in modern society, it denotes somebody who holds contempt for life or is mentally unwell. My mates shoot (and then cook) rabits because they tear up the carrots they planted.

please learn how to spell!
Reply 53
Original post by arty
please learn how to spell!

Because you couldnt think of a counter argument at all? :rolleyes:
A person with a brain cell would just not reply :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Shoot him and see how he likes it.
Reply 55
You eat meat but you don't want your boyfriend shooting rabbits... hypocrite alert!
Reply 56
Original post by j.laurence
Does this make you feel worse?

That one looks YUMMY. Imagine a bit of that served up with toast. mmmmmmm
Reply 57
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
That's a pretty stupid analogy.

I was just saying how eating animals killed in a humane way is A LOT different to for example boiling a kitten and people who do the former do have the right to protest against the latter without being hypocrites.

Who cares whether it is killed in a 'humane' way or not. How can killing and depriving a being of it's life for selfish reason ever be 'humane'.

So you are telling me that if I come up to you and kill you and all your family in a 'humane' way, it's okay?

I was getting killed I wouldn't be concerned with how I was getting killed, I'd rather not die at all...
Reply 58
Wow did you actually just compare killing an animal for food and murdering a family of people? And insinuate being killed quickly and being tortured slowly to death are the same?

Or am I simply imagining the absurdity here?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay. Just thought that most animals are killed humanely when for consumption, and the idea of an animal being shot at from a distance would end up suffering a whole lot worse, as wouldn't be as reliable. Just felt uneasy.

Translates to : I'm just ignorant and don't know what happens to my food, my boyfriend is a sick bastard and I am a hypocrite

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending