The Student Room Group

2:2 in second year... can I make it a 2:1 next?

Obviously, I have slacked this year. I have had a few personal issues, but nothing that would get me a get out of jail card... I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I have moped about all year and now have just had a kick up the arse, self realisation, refocused.... rah rah rah. I am set to cram like mad.

But... If I didn't manage a 2:1 in my second year... How the hell do I make it a 2:1 in my third? Is it do-able?

I know I don't sound it but I am quite bright (yes, believe it or not) and can work bloody hard when I put my mind to it. I have just been rather distracted with money and family troubles this year. Again, no excuse, I should have manned up.

Soo... 2:2 in second year - can I recover?!

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Only you can answer that, you know your ability better than anybody else.

Is it possible? Yes.
Has it been done before? Yes.

Good luck :smile:
i think it completely depends on your uni and course... i'll try and help if you tell
Some info on how your uni work out your degree classification would help.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for giving me some hope! If it's actually numerically possible then I can do it.... and I will.
Helping to give my desperate revision some purpose. Thank you.
Reply 5
Ah sorry.. Didn't realise courses were different. Will have a look. What a fool.

My notes say take an average of the second year, and then an average of the third year... and then an average of this.

I've written down

(credits x final mark) divided by 120.... I think that's to get an average.
Reply 6
It would depend on how ur uni degree works. My uni is 50% of my second year and 50% of my third. If you was to get a high 2.2 say 59 and 61 then obviously its 120/2 = 60 which is a 2.1. It's going to truly depend on how 'bad' you're 2.2 is i guess if you get a low 2.2 ur looking at higher and higher in final year, which is certainly going to be difficult.
Reply 7
Original post by Jakeh
It would depend on how ur uni degree works. My uni is 50% of my second year and 50% of my third. If you was to get a high 2.2 say 59 and 61 then obviously its 120/2 = 60 which is a 2.1. It's going to truly depend on how 'bad' you're 2.2 is i guess if you get a low 2.2 ur looking at higher and higher in final year, which is certainly going to be difficult.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Original post by vegastwotimes
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

what course at which uni?
Surely if you get a 1st in third year you will be able to balance out any 2.2 grade to a 2.1? Assuming that third year is worth at least as much as second year.
Original post by TurboCretin
Surely if you get a 1st in third year you will be able to balance out any 2.2 grade to a 2.1? Assuming that third year is worth at least as much as second year.

getting a 1st in 3rd year is no easy task - of course it's not impossibile by any means but it pretty much means devoting every hour (within reason) to your course and its a big ask to do that for a full year, motivation will dwindle as it always does. I guess it depends how much OP wants it, if you want something hard enough you'll get it
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Yes, you most certainly can; with enough motivation.

I got an average of 58% in my 2nd year (2:2).
Went into the first year motivated to push harder but though it'd be unlikely I got a first overall.
Got an average of 85.25% in final year semester 1, doing just as well in semester 2. Only need 60% or so for the rest of it to get an overall first. Feels like a holiday even though I have a 15,000 word dissertation to write. :cool:

Edit: My degree is 25% year 2, 75% year 3 though. It will depend on how yours works.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TurboCretin

That's usually the case. I can't think of a single university whose third year is worth more than the second year. Surely most 3 year bachelor degrees have a 1:2 split in weighting between the second and third years?
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
getting a 1st in 3rd year is no easy task - of course it's not impossibile by any means but it pretty much means devoting every hour (within reason) to your course and its a big ask to do that for a full year, motivation will dwindle as it always does. I guess it depends how much OP wants it, if you want something hard enough you'll get it

Well I'm not saying it's necessary to get a first, merely that if you did get a first in third year then it would outweigh any 2.2 in second year. Of course, if you got a good 2.2 in second year you'd only need a fairly good 2.1 in third year to balance things out.
My degree has a 1:2 weighting. So if I get 90% average in 2nd year, I'd need a 2:1 in third to get a first overall.

If I were to achieve a standard 2:2 (say 55) then I'd need

55+2x3>210      x3>77.555+2x_3 > 210 \ \implies \ x_3 > 77.5
Original post by air-ninety-one
what course at which uni?

I'm at Leeds uni doing law. Thanks for the advice guys. I think we must have equal weighting if they use the average of both years? I'm pretty terrible at maths so this is stressing me out more than it should.

I worked out that my first year average was 58 with very little work. Hopefully I can beat that as I have at least been more interested this year, if distracted by other things.

Once again thank you for your help.
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

I graduated with a 1st last year and I agree. I did pretty much devote every waking hour to my course.

For me it was worth it... you are paying so much for a degree anyway and it is only a short period of time so why not give it 100% (although I AM a workaholic!). :smile:

I think it depends on the percentage you get for each module (was it a high 2:2 or a low one?) as this all adds up when you average. I achieved a high 2:1 (two marks off a 1st) in my second year so I was able to boost this quite easily.

Original post by SundayGirl.
I graduated with a 1st last year and I agree. I did pretty much devote every waking hour to my course.

For me it was worth it... you are paying so much for a degree anyway and it is only a short period of time so why not give it 100% (although I AM a workaholic!). :smile:

I think it depends on the percentage you get for each module (was it a high 2:2 or a low one?) as this all adds up when you average. I achieved a high 2:1 (two marks off a 1st) in my second year so I was able to boost this quite easily.

i got 69% in my second (77% in my first year tho it didnt count). so that is a similar position to you right?

1) did you find the marking for the final year exams any more lenient (some third years were in my second year courses and they all seemed to average above the second years in exam scores even tho they weren't that much better)
2) did you have to work much much harder or did you just do as you did in the second year
3) any more tips? i want a first soooo bad :teeth:
Original post by jermaindefoe
i got 69% in my second (77% in my first year tho it didnt count). so that is a similar position to you right?

1) did you find the marking for the final year exams any more lenient (some third years were in my second year courses and they all seemed to average above the second years in exam scores even tho they weren't that much better)
2) did you have to work much much harder or did you just do as you did in the second year
3) any more tips? i want a first soooo bad :teeth:

From what I can tell, people like you will get a first purely because they want it more than someone else. Even if I'm not clever than the girl who goes out getting pissed the night before the exam, I'm still more motivated and want it way more.

Half the battle is actually convincing yourself you can do it imho.

I've chatted to loads of successful graduates and they all had one thing in common: a ****load of sheer determination.
2:2 + 1:1 = 2:1

Depending on your grades & how your uni weights stuff you could do it with a 2:1 in third year. Work out what your averge grade/module would need to be to get a 2:1 based on this year's grades, it's what I did (then I promptly couldn't be arses and settled for a 2:2, but I don't recommend doing that bit).

Latest

Trending

Trending